Return to reefing IM-40

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a 10 year or so absence I decided to jump back in with an AIO. This is so odd for me as my previous builds have been hundreds of gallons and rubbermaid sumps.
This will be SPS dominant with some LPS

Anyhow
Skimmer Tunze 9004DC
ATO Tunze Nano
Icecap Power head
Custom Dosing pumps 2 part
250W DE phonies 14K (had keep something old school)
UV as needed instead of filter sock

cQ4ACzh.jpg

EODfYmj.jpg

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice setup. looking forward for updates :)
Thank you. The craziest thing is it was "reef-pi" that brought me to this site. Considering building it out instead of buying. I have a pretty good background in electronics, have built tesla coils, lasers etc for years. I built a tec controller temp monitor from a pi in the past for my laser diodes.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, using a barrel to prop up the tank is a interesting idea! Looks great, I will be following along for updates
Thanks The base is two pieces of birch 3/4 plywood laminated together then edged with maple for extra strength. I am sure overkill but didn't want any worries.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Began construction on my reef-pi, will be nice to have some thing automated. Was going to just go Apex and call it a day, but really prefer tinkering.

The tank I am happy to report has healed all the test SPS, a Garf Bonsai, tyree undata (these two were actually from pieces that I traded in for credit 12 years ago to the LFS they found them wedged under some rock tearing down a tank) and another Monti cap. The Bonsai has grown over some broken tips and starting to shift color from brown, The undata was mostly just skeleton but has actually grown like a weed my wife even though I got a new coral as a spot grew that wasn't visible in the beginning in the dead part. The monti went from brown/bleached shedding some flesh to now darker green.

I started this tank with TBS package and a couple local live pieces of rock 6 weeks back or so, never saw much of a cycle slight ammonia, nitrite reach 10ppm now about .01 just a tinge of color on the lowest resolution salifert, I have found most tanks do always show a tinge even though everyone rounds to 0. Nitrate is at about 20ppm, this is higher than I ran in the past, but as long as algae doesn't become an issue i'll keep it higher intentionally this time and see how the coral do.

Yes most say a year or more before taking the plunge to SPS, but I have corals arriving later in the week and really feel if the rock is mature all will be fine. I think the recommendations are more to teach stability and maintenance.

I am really glad I went with what I knew for lighting and not the new LED's.

Side note the planning as begun for a larger in wall 205g 60*36*22

I'll hopefully post some pictures this weekend as I'll be taking "starting point" for growth shots.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the Macro video after I hacked the gopro2 to do macro shots. focus distance is narrow, but wow so much better that the stock video above.

That is very cool.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly I am not very good at this updating thing. The last month has gone pretty well, though I had found a crazy high po4 amount, like off the chart. >3ppm

I am currently working to reduce this slowly as I have about 15 SPS in the system I do not want to shock. My only thought is that the plankton I was dosing for the sponges (I used TBS rock and some established) heavily must have brought in the levels.

I'll add a FTS sometime this weekend.

I am sick of washing filter socks and the next purchase will be an InTank caddy and floss.

Have room for 4 more acro frags. Might wait awhile on them due to finances kids birthdays and Christmas coming up.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been fighting to bring down po4 and nitrate, no algae issues though it does grow fast, I more have noticed issues with sps color growth. Couple new pictures, happy to see some encrusting on some frags.

IMG_8490.JPG IMG_8499.JPG IMG_8503.JPG IMG_8483.JPG

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just ordered a new bulb stayed with the 250w DE 14K, also ordered an intank basket, will use floss, carbon, gfo and some biogems in the compartments.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also the terrible looking aptasia thing(behind cap), is a curly cue anemone that my wife had to keep. Figured since I said this wouldn't be a coral tank I better let her.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back