OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
caught a couple stone crabs this weekend still have a few to get before there a problem..

Noone believes it but I think I have a pistol shrimp that is a fish killer. I have never scene a mantis, everyone says there not shy, I hear the clicks and see a buldge up in the sand on occasion. Recently lost a clown like no remnants anywhere I am guessing it was drug under a rock, The clicking has stopped since for about 5 days.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I notices some tips turning yellow, just barely but starting on the flame.

flame tip.jpg

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank @speedstar! Just curious, when you placed your order with TBS, What exactly did you order? Did you order their 40 gallon "package"?

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, and that was EXACTLY what I was thinking about doing. Thanks!

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grabbed 1 box of the Gems, and 2 inTank media baskets over the Black Friday sales. I have a few rock structures I hade made for the tank, thinking about only using one of them and ordering a small "package" from TBS. I'm still torn on what to do...

Hitchhikers can be a pain, but I like the diversity and am impatient with setup, using the established rock allowed me to have thriving SPS in under 3 months and coraline algae growing after a month.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grabbed 1 box of the Gems, and 2 inTank media baskets over the Black Friday sales. I have a few rock structures I hade made for the tank, thinking about only using one of them and ordering a small "package" from TBS. I'm still torn on what to do...
What skimmer will you be running, if you are?

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the new IM Dc Skimmer they just released. I also have a Phosban 150 I was going to maybe use as a chaeto reactor...

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitchhikers can be a pain, but I like the diversity and am impatient with setup, using the established rock allowed me to have thriving SPS in under 3 months and coraline algae growing after a month.

Was it a big deal to get rid of all the unwanted hitchhickers?

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it a big deal to get rid of all the unwanted hitchhickers?

I've kept a lot of them (larger hermits other colored legged), still have a couple stone crabs to catch. The only issue for me was the acro eating limpets. But they don't reproduce fast and you can just pick and toss them. I gave them a chance as some are OK, but one killed off a piece I had. It ate a path right around it. I also think I have a larger pistol shrimp, that though most don't believe I think ate a fish. An older reefkeeping magazine mentioned they can.

Even with the headaches i'd still do TBS again, the life that is there is amazing and my tank avoided diatoms, cyno and other normal startup issues so far.

John

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a lot of them (larger hermits other colored legged), still have a couple stone crabs to catch. The only issue for me was the acro eating limpets. But they don't reproduce fast and you can just pick and toss them. I gave them a chance as some are OK, but one killed off a piece I had. It ate a path right around it. I also think I have a larger pistol shrimp, that though most don't believe I think ate a fish. An older reefkeeping magazine mentioned they can.

Even with the headaches i'd still do TBS again, the life that is there is amazing and my tank avoided diatoms, cyno and other normal startup issues so far.

John

I think that's what I'm gonna do then. I may take one or both of these out for another tank, we will see...

20181123_174550.jpg

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are preety sweet looking. You might be able to just use TBS rock around / under them and do both.

Maybe only get 10lbs of rock from TBS, I think 20lbs. like what you have in your tank would be too much. One of my goals is to have a small Maxima or Derasa clam, so I wanna make sure I leave a little room to house him.

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be picking out a bunch possible welks then also. I did have a few come on my rock.

Doesn't sound too horrible. Did you give a complete rundown on your tank? I was wondering what your stocking list looks like so far...

Bob

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe only get 10lbs of rock from TBS, I think 20lbs. like what you have in your tank would be too much. One of my goals is to have a small Maxima or Derasa clam, so I wanna make sure I leave a little room to house him.
The 20g package that I have is 40#'s of rock 2 pounds per gallon.

Back