Return to reefing

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 7+ years away from running a reef tank, now that my kids are old enough to be fairly self-sufficient, I am once again planning to start a new tank. It will not be a quick build as I plan to get my garage and water change system fully up and running before I even buy the tank. I will post a build thread once I get to that point. I have boxes full of old equipment to sort through as well however my plan is to try to update just about everything and get rid of the old stuff.

I am amazed at how much has changed in just 7 or 8 years. Not even the forums I used to frequent are popular anymore hence why I have created an account here, as this appears to be the place to come if you want to take the hobby seriously. Looking forward to learning what has changed and maybe providing a bit of my experiences for the things that never do change with this hobby.

Just a bit about me, I am located in South Florida and I am providing a picture of my old 65, probably 12 months prior to it looking the best it looked during its lifespan. I am missing some pictures so when I find pictures from the following year or two I will try to post those as well, if anyone is interested. I do miss that tank.

Reef_007.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 7+ years away from running a reef tank, now that my kids are old enough to be fairly self-sufficient, I am once again planning to start a new tank. It will not be a quick build as I plan to get my garage and water change system fully up and running before I even buy the tank. I will post a build thread once I get to that point. I have boxes full of old equipment to sort through as well however my plan is to try to update just about everything and get rid of the old stuff.

I am amazed at how much has changed in just 7 or 8 years. Not even the forums I used to frequent are popular anymore hence why I have created an account here, as this appears to be the place to come if you want to take the hobby seriously. Looking forward to learning what has changed and maybe providing a bit of my experiences for the things that never do change with this hobby.

Just a bit about me, I am located in South Florida and I am providing a picture of my old 65, probably 12 months prior to it looking the best it looked during its lifespan. I am missing some pictures so when I find pictures from the following year or two I will try to post those as well, if anyone is interested. I do miss that tank.

Reef_007.jpeg
Welcome and Welcome Back to the hobby!

This is a great hobby for the family to enjoy. Our daughter has named some of our fish. She's old enough that they are teaching periodic table so I gave her bonus questions for Si (giggle)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. You might do one for your old tank since you have pictures and loved it as well as another for your planning underway for returning tank. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and Welcome Back to the hobby!

This is a great hobby for the family to enjoy. Our daughter has named some of our fish. She's old enough that they are teaching periodic table so I gave her bonus questions for Si (giggle)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. You might do one for your old tank since you have pictures and loved it as well as another for your planning underway for returning tank. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)
I will definitely start a build thread as I did so on other forums with my older tanks and still find it personally useful for reminiscing on many of the animals I cared for in the past. Thanks for the welcome and I'm looking forward to contributing here.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back