Returning Back To The Hobby

Rpk98

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2025
Messages
29
Reaction score
10
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals should i start with first when starting out my new tank again how long do i need to let my tank sit before adding corals.
 
I waited 6mo after adding fish for parameters to become more stable. Also to get maintenance routine down and testing parameters regularly.I looked at soft corals like zoas, mushrooms, Xenia and leathers. Then once I saw growth I started looking at euphylia, acans, etc. Still working towards adding more sps and getting solid growth across all types. It's been a long steady process. It could go faster if you spend more $ on things like automation with controllers/dosers to lock in on parameters.
 
I waited 6mo after adding fish for parameters to become more stable. Also to get maintenance routine down and testing parameters regularly.I looked at soft corals like zoas, mushrooms, Xenia and leathers. Then once I saw growth I started looking at euphylia, acans, etc. Still working towards adding more sps and getting solid growth across all types. It's been a long steady process. It could go faster if you spend more $ on things like automation with controllers/dosers to lock in on parameters.
Don't mind spending money though but whats the best brand for testing ammonia and nitrates I heard RedSea is good?
 
I waited 6mo after adding fish for parameters to become more stable. Also to get maintenance routine down and testing parameters regularly.I looked at soft corals like zoas, mushrooms, Xenia and leathers. Then once I saw growth I started looking at euphylia, acans, etc. Still working towards adding more sps and getting solid growth across all types. It's been a long steady process. It could go faster if you spend more $ on things like automation with controllers/dosers to lock in on parameters.
so with lps corals do you need to dose so they can start growing?
 
Hanna test kits are generally considered among the best.
 
With me, my 90g needed close to a year to handle corals. It was just about stabilization and a lengthy ugly phase. Now, my next iteration, I'm looking at a VERY slow stocking and lighting profile and a chance at 4 months for corals. That's the plan anyway. You'll know when it's time.
 
depending on setup but i put in corals after about 2 weeks when the ammonia and nitrate read 0 or close to it, i put in rhodactis and discosoma species and gsp to be the starter corals and just Watch them until the tank is stable enough for a Duncan or simular. This time arround though when Setting up my seahorse tank i put in a acropora colony green slimer after one week to have as hitching post for the seahorses when they move in but for some reason its still alive 9 weeks later.
 
I waited a couple of months because I wanted to make sure everything was stable before adding corals to my tank. I started with easier corals (Duncan, mushroom, toadstool, and some zoas)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 15.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new