Returning to the hobby after 15 years

ffiren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

First post here.

I used to keep a reef tank back in 2013 and have made the decision to return to the hobby. Changing continents wasn't exactly conducive to maintaining a tank!

I've done a bit of research and have purchased the following kit:

Waterbox Platinum Reef 130.4
Kessil AP700
Kessil Premium Mounting Arm
OCTO Varios 4 DC Pump / Controller 4000LPH
Eheim Jager Heater 300 watt for 600-1000L
Kamoer ATO
OCTO Classic 150-S Space Saving Skimmer
Aquarium Systems Paleo Sand (Medium Grain) 5kg
AF Rock Kamoer X4 PRO
OCTO Pulse OP-4 Wave Maker

I can't believe how much the tech has developed over the time I've been away! I can even get pre-mixed water delivered!

Nothing is set up yet as I am still trying to figure out the best way to cycle the tank and then choose some livestock. I'm keen to do a fishless cycle and can see that there are lots of products that allow you to dose bacteria and ammonia at the same time. I'm very wary of Dr Tims One and Only advertised 'you can add lots of fish at once'.

I wasn't planning to keep SPS though from the above set up, I do think that it might be possible in the upper/middle third of the tank. I didn't really want to splash out on two AP700s.

Any thoughts on the above kit - though too late to change my mind! Anything you think I'm missing? I'm keen to keep the maintenance down, as presumably is everyone!

The only must have fish are Ocellaris / Percula with a host anemone. The kids insist, though I'm not keen on adding the anemone until the tank is well established. I'm aware that adding them separately makes hosting a bit hit and miss

Now in the agonising stage of making a roadmap for some fish/inverts...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
1.gif

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby and to the R2R community !!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys,

First post here.

I used to keep a reef tank back in 2013 and have made the decision to return to the hobby. Changing continents wasn't exactly conducive to maintaining a tank!

I've done a bit of research and have purchased the following kit:

Waterbox Platinum Reef 130.4
Kessil AP700
Kessil Premium Mounting Arm
OCTO Varios 4 DC Pump / Controller 4000LPH
Eheim Jager Heater 300 watt for 600-1000L
Kamoer ATO
OCTO Classic 150-S Space Saving Skimmer
Aquarium Systems Paleo Sand (Medium Grain) 5kg
AF Rock Kamoer X4 PRO
OCTO Pulse OP-4 Wave Maker

I can't believe how much the tech has developed over the time I've been away! I can even get pre-mixed water delivered!

Nothing is set up yet as I am still trying to figure out the best way to cycle the tank and then choose some livestock. I'm keen to do a fishless cycle and can see that there are lots of products that allow you to dose bacteria and ammonia at the same time. I'm very wary of Dr Tims One and Only advertised 'you can add lots of fish at once'.

I wasn't planning to keep SPS though from the above set up, I do think that it might be possible in the upper/middle third of the tank. I didn't really want to splash out on two AP700s.

Any thoughts on the above kit - though too late to change my mind! Anything you think I'm missing? I'm keen to keep the maintenance down, as presumably is everyone!

The only must have fish are Ocellaris / Percula with a host anemone. The kids insist, though I'm not keen on adding the anemone until the tank is well established. I'm aware that adding them separately makes hosting a bit hit and miss

Now in the agonising stage of making a roadmap for some fish/inverts...

Welcome to R2R!!! It looks like you have a great setup - you appear to have made strong choices with you gear selection. The one additional item that comes to mind when reviewing the list is to consider adding a heating controller like an Inkbird. FWIW, I have successfully used both Dr. Tim's and Brightwell bacteria to start up tanks.

OP
OP
F

ffiren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! It looks like you have a great setup - you appear to have made strong choices with you gear selection. The one additional item that comes to mind when reviewing the list is to consider adding a heating controller like an Inkbird. FWIW, I have successfully used both Dr. Tim's and Brightwell bacteria to start up tanks.

Thanks mate. Might not be a bad idea. Had our first 34°C day of spring yesterday!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun...
yes agree heater in sump,don't forget ground probe :)

OP
OP
F

ffiren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was contemplating shifting my ato into a seperate tank, conveniently hidden inside an ottoman style stool next to the tank. I wanted to use the ato chamber in the sump for a refugium so I can try out the triton method. I have the reagents and dosing pumps.

I went shopping for a suitable light and came out with an Octo LR-150 and had upgraded the skimmer from the Octo classic 150-S to a Regal 150-S.

My wife is going to kill me!

Everything arriving and installed on 10 November. Doing a fishless cycle with Ammonia and Dr Tom's. Still have absolutely no idea what I want in the tank. .

Anyone with the Kessil AP-700? I've seen the par on BRS... Do you think I could do SPS with a single light?

*** EDIT ***

As a new member, what conversion factor do you use for gph to lph? Got to hate imperial measurements, especially as the term gallon varies be country. With reefing chemistry getting increasingly 'scientific', you'd think people would use SI units!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back