OP
OP
F

ffiren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's taken me a lot longer than anticipated to get set up as I unexpectedly needed to move house. Probably a blessing everything was still in boxes!

I'm on my third waterbox as the first two had imperfections in the glass. I don't know how they passed QC as there was a 'dent' in the front panel for lack of a better word. The glass itself felt fine but optically it looked like someone had hit it with a hammer. The second one arrived the same however the panel was flipped 180' and then left to right. Must be a manufacturing issue. Third time's a charm as they say!

I knocked up a quick aquascape with the kids over the weekend. Would ideally want to shift it more off centre to the right but I am trying to think of SPS placement. It was a nerve-racking experience lifting the aquascape into the tank on my own and once in, it's there to stay! I'll upload a photo when everything settles down. Messing with the powerheads and a bottle of Dr. Tims has made the whole thing look like soup!

Anyway, the reason for the update is that my two OCTO pulse 4 pumps are far too powerful to be mounted from the rear. I must have them on the lowest possible setting to minimise shifting the sand bed and then that really defeats the point in having them. I could probably persevere and try and bounce them off the side of the tank if you think that's a viable option, though every attempt to angle them away from the sandbed causes water to splash over the top. The ubiquitous power head on either side of the tank works really well as I have them pulsing alternately, but it looks very ugly. I need to try and find a better solution and am open to suggestions. The tank is kind of 'peninsula' as it's very viewable from one of the sides, though the other side is relatively hidden.

It's a waterbox 130.4 which is rimless so I'm going to have to put something on top to minimise jumping. It seems plausible that I should be able to integrate some relatively hidden wiring so something like a gyre could work from the visible side and I'll 'put up with' having the OCTO from the less visible end. I'd be very grateful if anyone has suggestions for something more aesthetically pleasing!

OP
OP
F

ffiren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still quite cloudy but you get the idea. The Octo on the left has to go sadly.

Could have done a better job hiding the cement but hopefully coraline will take care of that for me.

20210613_233320.jpg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

First post here.

I used to keep a reef tank back in 2013 and have made the decision to return to the hobby. Changing continents wasn't exactly conducive to maintaining a tank!

I've done a bit of research and have purchased the following kit:

Waterbox Platinum Reef 130.4
Kessil AP700
Kessil Premium Mounting Arm
OCTO Varios 4 DC Pump / Controller 4000LPH
Eheim Jager Heater 300 watt for 600-1000L
Kamoer ATO
OCTO Classic 150-S Space Saving Skimmer
Aquarium Systems Paleo Sand (Medium Grain) 5kg
AF Rock Kamoer X4 PRO
OCTO Pulse OP-4 Wave Maker

I can't believe how much the tech has developed over the time I've been away! I can even get pre-mixed water delivered!

Nothing is set up yet as I am still trying to figure out the best way to cycle the tank and then choose some livestock. I'm keen to do a fishless cycle and can see that there are lots of products that allow you to dose bacteria and ammonia at the same time. I'm very wary of Dr Tims One and Only advertised 'you can add lots of fish at once'.

I wasn't planning to keep SPS though from the above set up, I do think that it might be possible in the upper/middle third of the tank. I didn't really want to splash out on two AP700s.

Any thoughts on the above kit - though too late to change my mind! Anything you think I'm missing? I'm keen to keep the maintenance down, as presumably is everyone!

The only must have fish are Ocellaris / Percula with a host anemone. The kids insist, though I'm not keen on adding the anemone until the tank is well established. I'm aware that adding them separately makes hosting a bit hit and miss

Now in the agonising stage of making a roadmap for some fish/inverts...
Welcome back to the continent and the hobby.

OP
OP
F

ffiren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.

Long and slow cycle but finally done! Have both of the Octo Pulse-4 on minimum otherwise they destroy the substrate. I've picked up a couple of gyres and will give them a go to see if they are any better. Should be nicer to look at if nothing else!

Currently have 2 mocha storm clowns, a gem tang, a very placid six-line wrasse and a very cranky lipstick tang. I'm going to relocate the lipstick but would be keen to replace with another tang.

Any suggestions for a mild mannered and reef-safe tang? Would prefer to get something unusual and am in for the long haul so don't mind waiting.

Currently have some Anthias in a QT and will likely keep them there for at least another month as they need some encouragement to eat.

Wont be adding any coral until I've got a health growth of coralline but I've finally turned the lights on and getting some diatoms as a result.

Attached a pic but not really much more to see. I do like the scape, though I'm biased! Only points of contact are the column on the left and two 'feet' on the right.
20210704_153551.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back