Returning to the hobby after 17 years

I’ve had aquariums my entire life. In 2003 I built a custom reef tank from scratch. I did the plumbing, the electrical for the lighting, built a stand around my sump. It was my pride and joy. 110 gal aquarium with a 40 gal sump. I’ll attach a picture. Due to unforeseen circumstances related to the financial crisis in 2008, we lost our house and couldn’t take the system or its inhabitants with us. It was devastating. Fortunately, I had developed a relationship/friendship with my local fish store owner and he agreed to recover the equipment and the animals within the system. At least they weren’t left to perish. I left the hobby due to this experience. Recently, I got the itch and decided to return to the hobby. I now have a modest 36 gal bowfront and I’m giddy with the excitement of accessing all that unused knowledge and experience. So happy to be back in the hobby and hoping to develop some new friendships!

IMG_1246.jpeg
Welcome back to the hobby and to the forums! Good luck with the new 36g.
 
welcome! feels a little like my comeback except i wasn’t as DIY as you were. i’m a year back into it. Every day the hobby brings some type of joy, even if minor. Well, maybe not every day.
I fell right back into it. One month in since I started adding fish and I already have my routine established every morning. It’s not a chore at all. It’s a pleasure and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. It’s like all that experience and knowledge was just waiting to be accessed and applied. Like riding a bike!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new