Revive Mangrove

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if this thread belongs in a different sub forum, but basically, I have a mangrove I got that completely lost all its leaves shortly after arrival. I have it in freshwater, with a sand substrate, under a grow light, and it’s got a mostly green stem, but it hasn’t done squat in like 3 or 4 weeks. Should I just give it a little longer? Or is a mangrove usually a goner after losing all its leaves?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As long as it has a root system and some light , it will likely bounce back

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ehhhhhh, not much of a root system to speak of haha

I’m afraid to pull it out of the sand and disturb the roots, but there were…. minimal roots.
Furnish it light and it should sprout in time

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apologies if this thread belongs in a different sub forum, but basically, I have a mangrove I got that completely lost all its leaves shortly after arrival. I have it in freshwater, with a sand substrate, under a grow light, and it’s got a mostly green stem, but it hasn’t done squat in like 3 or 4 weeks. Should I just give it a little longer? Or is a mangrove usually a goner after losing all its leaves?

Thanks!
Just because it lost its leaves doesn't mean it's a goner! Depending on how it was kept previously it may just be a bit dormant if it went from saltwater to freshwater depending on the type of mangrove :) Don't give up on it yet!

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because it lost its leaves doesn't mean it's a goner! Depending on how it was kept previously it may just be a bit dormant if it went from saltwater to freshwater depending on the type of mangrove :) Don't give up on it yet!
So glad to hear that from someone who has experience to draw from. Thanks! I have noooo idea what it was in before. In fact, it came packed in some jelly. I couldn't tell you if it was fresh or salt. Presumably fresh, so I plopped it into fresh.

I have hope! I have two other that are also struggling (from the same place), but they seem to be sprouting new growth. Once they've really popped out new leaves I'll remove them from the gel and start the transition into salt.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So glad to hear that from someone who has experience to draw from. Thanks! I have noooo idea what it was in before. In fact, it came packed in some jelly. I couldn't tell you if it was fresh or salt. Presumably fresh, so I plopped it into fresh.

I have hope! I have two other that are also struggling (from the same place), but they seem to be sprouting new growth. Once they've really popped out new leaves I'll remove them from the gel and start the transition into salt.
I'm pretty sure that jelly was just used to keep the roots from drying out during transport and isn't needed but it shouldn't hurt to keep it in there :)

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the leave it and see what happens. As long as the propogule looks healthy, it should sprout new leaves eventually. I had a mangrove that lost its tip and all leaves during shipping. It did nothing that I could see for at least a few months (maybe longer) before finally sprouting two new growth stems and new leaves. I imagine it was putting energy into growing more roots before sprouting new leaves. Looks great now! I had another that was also lost its stem but kept one leaf. That leaf eventually turned brown and fell off and the propogule turned black and shriveled.

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a good move.

Any suggestions on substrate?
I have ground down in sand soil and in water with nothing. The easiest way is just to grow them in water and add some fertilizer. I can’t say I’ve seen an increase in growing them in soil or sand. Strong light seems to be the biggest factor. I would also mist them if you live in a lower humidity environment.

Acroguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the leave it and see what happens. As long as the propogule looks healthy, it should sprout new leaves eventually. I had a mangrove that lost its tip and all leaves during shipping. It did nothing that I could see for at least a few months (maybe longer) before finally sprouting two new growth stems and new leaves. I imagine it was putting energy into growing more roots before sprouting new leaves. Looks great now! I had another that was also lost its stem but kept one leaf. That leaf eventually turned brown and fell off and the propogule turned black and shriveled.
Hi, what happened to the black shriveled propagule ? Did it die or did it come back to life ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back