Reviving a 12 gallon aquarium

starfishguy869

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2023
Messages
258
Reaction score
78
Location
Quebec
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got back from vacation and noticed that my tank kind of looked like a dumpster fire, and I thought I’d share how I revamped everything.

IMG_2879.jpeg


Problems:
My ATO ran dry for 5 days
My aquarium has a salinity of over 1.032
The Return pump has failed
My alkalinity has dropped massively
There is a bunch of crusty algae growing everywhere

My corals were brought to the LFS and I only left a GSP and some Pocillopora.
Luckily, nothing died except for a snail. ):
I got a few pieces of equipment from an LFS including a dosing pump, a Jebao pump, and a Zoox algae scraper.

I started by wiping all the algae off the glass. Then I started slowly adjusting my salinity. Over the course of 1 day, I dropped the salinity to 1.026. I filled up the ATO and started mixing some fresh saltwater today. While that was happening, I tested the alkalinity and calcium and found out that the alkalinity had dropped by 3 dKH and my calcium had dropped by 225 ppm. Because the aquarium contains barely anything, I decided to raise the alkalinity over 3 days and the calcium over 2 days. I also don’t have any new saltwater so I will do a 2/3 water change once my saltwater mixed completely. I will update tomorrow.
 
How is your tank doing now?
 
It's great, I got all my corals back.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new