Reviving a neglected reef

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago I started a losing battle against Dinos. The slime just covered everything and took out a few of my favorite corals. I kept the tank running but did nothing more than feed my fish and top off my tank with tap water.
Fast forward one year and the Dinos were gone, and replaced with a massive hair algae outbreak. I slowly started to increase my maintenance schedule and started changing out water and manually removing as much algae as possible.
I made very little progress in a month’s time. I started vibrant about a month ago. That knocked out the hair algae rather quickly which was nice. However, cyano and dinos have filled the void. On top of all that there must have been some aiptasia in my tank as it has spread everywhere. The massive amounts of hair algae had kept them hidden.
So now here I am almost back where I started except with a massive amount of aiptasia. Overall it does look better now than it has in a year, but not anywhere near where I want it to be. Hopefully, I can take back some control of this tank.
Reefing isn’t alway easy is it?

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple quick shots I just grabbed. Check out the back glass…any ideas on what that is? Might be remnants of the hair algae, but I’m not sure

D1E7B13F-ADC3-48D7-B5FC-6074A52B3A6B.jpeg 52D7A1ED-2A39-4A52-A7CE-44572E6955E1.jpeg

Last edited:

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's easy you aren't doing it right :)

I applaud your persistence. I know that many give up after just a few months of an 'emergency' like yours. It seems you have mastered patience, the rest just keeps getting easier. Good luck.

Hillerd86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost in the exact same boat on my end. Frigging vibrant worked great for knocking out my bubble algae but then opened the door for dynos and then some hair algae.
Curious to see what the ideas are. I am contemplating doing some H2O2 dosing.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back