Rev's 400+ Gallon Basement Inwall

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well don't get too excited! There isn't much of anything to show yet but I am planning this big tank and I need your help!

The wife and I have leased a house for the past 8 years and this Friday we will be owners of a new home. More importantly it has a huge finished basement with plenty of wall space and there is already an exterior area between the basement walls and the outside house walls. BIG spaces for a dedicated tank room behind the tank.

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS TO BECOME A REALITY SINCE I HAVE BEEN IN THE HOBBY!

This will be my first build of this size and I need your help to figure it all out.

Tank: The tank is a 400+ (finalizing sizes) @Planet Aquarium tank. The tank is 96" x 36" x 24" tall.

Before I get to any more details. What are some things I need to do to prepare for a tank this size?

I am thinking these are some things:

1. Install a floor drain
2. Install dedicated power box
3. Install ventilation
4. Waterline and Sink

What else?

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's Great David wonderful that you are getting an new home. An a Basement is the best for a tank.
Make sure you have a water line installed near the tank where you want to install the Ro/DI unit and Mixing tanks.
I am sure everyone will chime in with other suggestions.:)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's Great David wonderful that you are getting an new home. An a Basement is the best for a tank.
Make sure you have a water line installed near the tank where you want to install the Ro/DI unit and Mixing tanks.
I am sure everyone will chime in with other suggestions.:)

Thank you Ed! I just added your suggestion to the list! MUST have is a big sink! :)

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you limited by the doorway into the basement or are you having it built on-site? A depth of 36" would be really sweet!

I would put a lot of thought into the filtration system and sump layout. What drives me nuts the most about a typical sump layout is how detritus collects. Finding a way to setup a system that can make detritus clean-up and water changes easy would be #1 on my list.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you limited by the doorway into the basement or are you having it built on-site? A depth of 36" would be really sweet!

I would put a lot of thought into the filtration system and sump layout. What drives me nuts the most about a typical sump layout is how detritus collects. Finding a way to setup a system that can make detritus clean-up and water changes easy would be #1 on my list.

No limitations because the area between the outside house wall and outside basement wall has a small garage door that is used for storing a lawnmower. It's a hug space. Here is the way the tank will enter the house:

ISxn0457gw96vz0000000000.jpg

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna do anything like a live rock lagoon or anything or just a fuge in sump. And are you doing leds or some kind of mh combo?

Oh and mega congrats

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the inside space that is between the finished basement and outside wall. You can see the garage on the right and the door to go inside on the left:

ISt8yoiym93sjz0000000000.jpg

The wall on the right is the same wall as the photo above.

IS9pd47a59npuz0000000000.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on the new house, happy for you.
Nitro

Thank you!

Gonna do anything like a live rock lagoon or anything or just a fuge in sump. And are you doing leds or some kind of mh combo?

Oh and mega congrats

Oh I want to have a few separate tanks installed inline with the main system. I want to have a place for mangroves and a xenia fuge! :)

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on your new home, thats more important. well i wish i was close to you cause i would be willing to help and be part of a dream tank. I would deffinetly find a location / room were you will have all your equipment in . LOGZOR is 100% correct. Pipe the tank for water changes with just opening and closing valves so a drain is a must. Over size equipment for future loads. A big exterior chiller is a must so plan piping for it through ceilings etc. have enough individual GFCI receptacles for individual pcs of equipment instead power strips. Each receptacle should have a switch next to it so no unplugging is needed to do service. Air exchanger for basement will help dramatically if it could be done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on your new home, thats more important. well i wish i was close to you cause i would be willing to help and be part of a dream tank. I would deffinetly find a location / room were you will have all your equipment in . LOGZOR is 100% correct. Pipe the tank for water changes with just opening and closing valves so a drain is a must. Over size equipment for future loads. A big exterior chiller is a must so plan piping for it through ceilings etc. have enough individual GFCI receptacles for individual pcs of equipment instead power strips. Each receptacle should have a switch next to it so no unplugging is needed to do service. Air exchanger for basement will help dramatically if it could be done. Once this all done then ask every member for a frag and you should be in good shape.

Thank you! I wish you were close as well!

I honestly don't think I will need a chiller. I have never used one in this part of the country and especially in the basement. The area that is shown where the tank room will be is temperature controlled.

Good points!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size pump and brand do you think I need to be looking for to handle the 400-450 tank and total 600-650 gallon system?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I have never been more excited! Thanks guys!

The photos are from the previous owner of the house.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also I am obviously going to need a new skimmer. I want one that can handle the load but I don;t have to have a Ferrari either. Ideas?

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Crap!! So much potential for your new build! Since you have that huge space behind the display, one thing you could consider would be installing water reservoirs into the system to dramatically increase your total water volume. It wouldn't be very difficult to up your total volume to 1000+ gallons with a water holding tank. Just a thought since you are obviously going to have an EPIC build!!:D

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back