Rev's 400+ Gallon Basement Inwall

mokrytzki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent much constructive to add so i will bump because im mucho interested in this build and follow along. Btw congrats on the new home.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome house!!!! Congrats!!!

Definitely have several separate circuits for all your equipment.
And make sure humidity is controlled. That's a lot of water.
Plan on a nice table space for maintenance, tinkering and fragging, along with a nice frag tank plumbed into the system.
Auto water change system for sure.
You also have plenty of space for a nice remote fuge which could negate any need for any reactors. Keep things natural!
I'd also recommend a Profilux controller. Their build quality and reliability just can't be beat. That's a lot of livestock that is depending on you. Check them out when you're at Reefapalooza!

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A couple grand? Yea I need another route!

All skimmer options are open! :)

Well then at least a couple, hardware store type ones at least:) Your new house will thank you I promise. And hey if you ever want to talk skimmers let me know. Happy to anytime.

Pat Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats rev on the house. One thing I see instead of a chiller is walling off where the garage is after you install the tank, basements can get really chilly in the winter and since your tank will be on the un fished side of the wall. Lots of heat to keep it warm.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats David on the home purschase. You'll get plenty of advice on the new tank!

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had all that room, I wouldn't just make water changes easy, I'd make them completely automated! (dosing pump, float switches & controller connected to some large plastic trash cans)

Xingu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of getting one large skimmer, think about several smaller ones. You would have to do some research to see if several smaller pumps would be less of an electric draw than one large pump. It would also give you the option of turning one off when heavy skimming isn't needed. Just a thought.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats on new house, I'm building similar tank at the moment. Things I have come to learn, 30 inches is deep be prepared to get wet if you need to get to the bottom. Also lighting a reef with corals near the bottom or clams may be difficult and more expensive for a 30 inch deep. Two reasons I went with 24 rather than 30. I'm using a RO 5000sss skimmer it does a good job but with a large sump you may want to go with the 6000. For a pump I have a Reeflo hammerhead/barracuda hybrid remember you can always dial down you can never dial it up. Good luck look forward to seeing more.

Last edited:

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am another one who is going through a similar build. I am getting a 96" x 36" x 27" tank. I should be getting the 3d drawings in the next couple days. I am going with the 27" height rather than the 30". This is what I have on my 220g and that depth is really a pain. I have a Reeflo Orca 250 Pro skimmer that is rated for 800g (now the My Reef Creation - MRC - Orca Pro II skimmer). I also use a hammerhead/barracuda hybrid to pump water from the basement fish room to the 1st floor DT. There is a lot that goes into the planning for sure. For example, I had originally thought of going 30" wide. This would allow me to reuse my Lumen Bright Mini Pendants plus T5 supplement. By going 36", I now have to consider using the Lumen Bright Large reflectors. But the potential for aquascaping the wider tank is very appealing to me. I will concede that there is excitement and anxiety over some decisions, but in the end, it will work out.

congrats on new house, I'm building similar tank at the moment. Things I have come to learn, 30 inches is deep be prepared to get wet if you need to get to the bottom. Also lighting a reef with corals near the bottom or clams may be difficult and more expensive for a 30 inch deep. Two reasons I went with 24 rather than 30. I'm using a RO 5000sss skimmer it does a good job but with a large sump you may want to go with the 6000. For a pump I have a Reeflo hammerhead/barracuda hybrid remember you can always dial down you can never dial it up. Good luck look forward to seeing more.

billrob71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the house, as far as the tank bigger is better :D and you can not go wrong with a 36 inch front to back.

Reeflogic