RFA Baby Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter marlinmon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

marlinmon

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2018
Messages
692
Reaction score
674
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many babies does a single RFA typically produce at a time? I just had a batch and have counted over 50. I suspect there are more hidden from where I can't see them in my tank. Just seems like an awful lot based on what I've read from other posters.
 
Dang that is a lot. Good problem to have i suppose
 
Four adults, one of them is very large ~5" diameter. It's the large one that had the babies. Whole bunch of babies grouped around it. It looked sick a week earlier which had me worried. Looks back to normal now.
 
That's alot of babies for 1 mama!! Mine never produce that much!
 
Rock next to the RFA I picked out. Tons of babies on the bottom of it too

FD368C92-F97C-4DB8-AA8E-A9FD5F1C9AD9.jpeg
 
Very cool!! Did you see her spitting out babies? Did you notice when the male or males spawned? It would be interesting to know what the dad looks like and what the babies colors turn out to be.
 
Very cool!! Did you see her spitting out babies? Did you notice when the male or males spawned? It would be interesting to know what the dad looks like and what the babies colors turn out to be.
I haven't noticed any spawning. It was actually bugging me lately, so much that was going to get some more RFA's in there in hopes that one would spawn. Apparently it's been going on already lol. I missed, probably by a couple hours, her spitting out the babies. Her mouth was still wide open when I made the discovery. Days leading up to this I thought she was sick. She was noticeably smaller and diameter. I thought it might have been my fault because one day I stuck a giant piece of LRS in front of her and she ate. I thought it might have been too much food. I'll try to get pics up of the other RFA's I have in the tank.
 
That's awesome, I would be like a little kid with my nose up against the glass if that happen.
Quick off topic question - is the water in Midland decent enough for use in our reef tanks?
 
On it's own absolutely not, it's awful. I spent as much on my RODI as I did my lighting. I have a 7 stage, with three DI canisters running on a booster pump. Out of the tap my water runs about 1200 tds and I'm still at 30 after the RO. You can make the water work here but you burn through DI resin fast, just have to buy in bulk. Where are you from?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new