redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real bad news......my tank is leaking!

It's old, and custom build (poorly) and unfortunately an unusual size (60" x 18" x 21"). I've spent the afternoon calling a number of LFS's with no luck....and the most promising spent the time with his multiple suppliers and tells me that that size is no longer available (in glass). The best he could do is the same footprint, but 26" high.

So to attempt to slow the leak, I mixed epoxy maybe six times and smeared it all over the corner that's leaking.....both inside and outside. Not pretty, but now only down to just wetness at the location.

IMG_20171221_172642878.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do......not happy! :(

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real bad news......my tank is leaking!

It's old, and custom build (poorly) and unfortunately an unusual size (60" x 18" x 21"). I've spent the afternoon calling a number of LFS's with no luck....and the most promising spent the time with his multiple suppliers and tells me that that size is no longer available (in glass). The best he could do is the same footprint, but 26" high.

So to attempt to slow the leak, I mixed epoxy maybe six times and smeared it all over the corner that's leaking.....both inside and outside. Not pretty, but now only down to just wetness at the location.

IMG_20171221_172642878.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do......not happy! :(
Not sure what I can do , but if I can help let me know bud. I know there is a member that posted a free 180g on the site...I think he's further south though.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @TheEngineer and @chefjpaul .

Engineer, my one concern is the use of silicone in the tank and not giving it a number of days to cure. If I took this route I'd drop the volume by 50 gallons, scrape off all the epoxy and dry, and then silicone in a piece, and then refill. That uncured silicone scares me....it does put out ammonia.

And chef, I'm all of ten minutes from the Outer Bridge Crossing. We can talk shop. My daughter is a graduate of the CIA and works at a place in Chelesea (Manhattan, NYC for non east-coasters).

Have to scratch my head a bit more.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marcus, you responded while I was typing the above. Thanks for the offer. Have to calm down and think about this one. I really don't want to start over with a six foot tank.....new stand, etc, and I'm not crazy about adding 5 inches to the height (will need one of those old people grabbers to reach the bottom, and stand on a stool to get into the tank). I'm also going crazy thinking about how to do a tank transfer. The one good think is that I do have a stock tank. Thanks again Marcus. Need to think.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @TheEngineer and @chefjpaul .

Engineer, my one concern is the use of silicone in the tank and not giving it a number of days to cure. If I took this route I'd drop the volume by 50 gallons, scrape off all the epoxy and dry, and then silicone in a piece, and then refill. That uncured silicone scares me....it does put out ammonia.

And chef, I'm all of ten minutes from the Outer Bridge Crossing. We can talk shop. My daughter is a graduate of the CIA and works at a place in Chelesea (Manhattan, NYC for non east-coasters).

Have to scratch my head a bit more.
Let me know, I'll swing down

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kevin, @kschweer .

Engineer, I'm thinking inside....and I'm leaning for a shot at this....and take the chance. Here's where my brain is right now.....vinyl quarter-round attached with "plastic" bond silicone. Unknowns are safety of the vinyl and whether the plastic silicone sticks well to vinyl. I have vinyl quarter round. I'll pick up some plastic silicone and test out. Also taking the chance with new silicone in the tank. I'm hoping the limited exposure will minimize negative impacts.

Here's links to the two supplies I'm talking about:

Vinyl Quarter Round

"Plastic" Silicone

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like 100 percent silicone so it should be fine. I’m not so sure about the quarter round. Do you have any right angle plastic you could use instead? I would be worried about the vinyl breaking down in the salt water. True vinyl would be fine but I personally don’t know what that stuff is made of.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have 1/2 inch acrylic flat stock that I could cut at a 45 to give me a prism shaped piece....I'm liking that.
Oh yeah! I’d go with that. Good long term viability and you know it won’t leach anything.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Edwin @ecam . Haven't heard for you in some time. Hope all is well. I'll let you know....but it's crazy here for the next week of so with family coming in tomorrow and parties and Christmas. Going to try and put this off for a bit.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No! Even worse this morning. I've duct taped the side to hopefully keep it from blowing out. Can't do much for now....daughter and son in law just arrived from Virginia...party tonight....Christmas....erc.

Want to get through the holidays and consider a custom build. My size tank is no longer made. Perfecto does have the same footprint, but 5 inches taller....and advertised as tempered glass...not good for my overflow.

Still might try the silicone thing to hold me over. Making water as we speak. Just not a good time for this nonsense to happen.

Thanks for asking Marcus.

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No! Even worse this morning. I've duct taped the side to hopefully keep it from blowing out. Can't do much for now....daughter and son in law just arrived from Virginia...party tonight....Christmas....erc.

Want to get through the holidays and consider a custom build. My size tank is no longer made. Perfecto does have the same footprint, but 5 inches taller....and advertised as tempered glass...not good for my overflow.

Still might try the silicone thing to hold me over. Making water as we speak. Just not a good time for this nonsense to happen.

Thanks for asking Marcus.
I didn't wanna hit the like button as im sure its very frustrating on your end ....if it's an emergency, you're not that far away ....Im in Ny right now but i may be able to grab a few guys and triage your tank later on tonight if it gets outta wack...lemme know bud

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't wanna hit the like button as im sure its very frustrating on your end ....if it's an emergency, you're not that far away ....Im in Ny right now but i may be able to grab a few guys and triage your tank later on tonight if it gets outta wack...lemme know bud

Then you better bring your party hats because we're entertaining 25 family/friends at a Holiday party. :p:D

Again working on "hold over" measures right now. Off to HD to pick up silicone to try Engineer's idea of putting it on the outside.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back