RFBF's Five Footer

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by redfishbluefish, Jan 12, 2016.

1. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Real bad news......my tank is leaking!

It's old, and custom build (poorly) and unfortunately an unusual size (60" x 18" x 21"). I've spent the afternoon calling a number of LFS's with no luck....and the most promising spent the time with his multiple suppliers and tells me that that size is no longer available (in glass). The best he could do is the same footprint, but 26" high.

So to attempt to slow the leak, I mixed epoxy maybe six times and smeared it all over the corner that's leaking.....both inside and outside. Not pretty, but now only down to just wetness at the location.

IMG_20171221_172642878.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do......not happy! :(

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

Dang it! Can you maybe do a patch over it with a piece of glass that you can silicone a wider area around it?

redfishbluefish likes this.
  3. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

That sucks, sorry to hear, wish I was closer to help.

4. trio91

trio91 NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club) R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Not sure what I can do , but if I can help let me know bud. I know there is a member that posted a free 180g on the site...I think he's further south though.

5. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Thanks @TheEngineer and @chefjpaul .

Engineer, my one concern is the use of silicone in the tank and not giving it a number of days to cure. If I took this route I'd drop the volume by 50 gallons, scrape off all the epoxy and dry, and then silicone in a piece, and then refill. That uncured silicone scares me....it does put out ammonia.

And chef, I'm all of ten minutes from the Outer Bridge Crossing. We can talk shop. My daughter is a graduate of the CIA and works at a place in Chelesea (Manhattan, NYC for non east-coasters).

Have to scratch my head a bit more.

Maritimer and kschweer like this.
  6. redfishbluefish

Marcus, you responded while I was typing the above. Thanks for the offer. Have to calm down and think about this one. I really don't want to start over with a six foot tank.....new stand, etc, and I'm not crazy about adding 5 inches to the height (will need one of those old people grabbers to reach the bottom, and stand on a stool to get into the tank). I'm also going crazy thinking about how to do a tank transfer. The one good think is that I do have a stock tank. Thanks again Marcus. Need to think.

WWIII, trio91 and kschweer like this.
  7. kschweer

kschweer Zoas!!! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2018 NJRC Member

Sorry to hear this Paul!!!

redfishbluefish and trio91 like this.
  8. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Let me know, I'll swing down

9. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

Oh, I meant on the outside just as a stopgap. It would give you time to plan your next move.

redfishbluefish and kschweer like this.
  10. redfishbluefish

Thanks Kevin, @kschweer .

Engineer, I'm thinking inside....and I'm leaning for a shot at this....and take the chance. Here's where my brain is right now.....vinyl quarter-round attached with "plastic" bond silicone. Unknowns are safety of the vinyl and whether the plastic silicone sticks well to vinyl. I have vinyl quarter round. I'll pick up some plastic silicone and test out. Also taking the chance with new silicone in the tank. I'm hoping the limited exposure will minimize negative impacts.

Here's links to the two supplies I'm talking about:

Vinyl Quarter Round

"Plastic" Silicone

kschweer likes this.
  11. TheEngineer

That looks like 100 percent silicone so it should be fine. I’m not so sure about the quarter round. Do you have any right angle plastic you could use instead? I would be worried about the vinyl breaking down in the salt water. True vinyl would be fine but I personally don’t know what that stuff is made of.

kschweer and redfishbluefish like this.
  12. ecam

ecam Active Member NJRC Member

Hey Paul. This is Edwin. I’m sorry bro. Please let me know if you need anything. I’m available for the next two weeks anytime. I’ll pm you my number.

13. redfishbluefish

I do have 1/2 inch acrylic flat stock that I could cut at a 45 to give me a prism shaped piece....I'm liking that.

kschweer and TheEngineer like this.
  14. TheEngineer

Oh yeah! I’d go with that. Good long term viability and you know it won’t leach anything.

kschweer and redfishbluefish like this.
  15. redfishbluefish

Thanks Edwin @ecam . Haven't heard for you in some time. Hope all is well. I'll let you know....but it's crazy here for the next week of so with family coming in tomorrow and parties and Christmas. Going to try and put this off for a bit.

Flippers4pups and kschweer like this.
  16. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor

Paul, Sorry to hear of your tank leaking. :(

Hope everything works out for you!

Hang in there!

Don

redfishbluefish and kschweer like this.
  17. trio91

trio91 NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club) R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Hey paul, just wanted to check in.....did you plug the leak?

18. redfishbluefish

No! Even worse this morning. I've duct taped the side to hopefully keep it from blowing out. Can't do much for now....daughter and son in law just arrived from Virginia...party tonight....Christmas....erc.

Want to get through the holidays and consider a custom build. My size tank is no longer made. Perfecto does have the same footprint, but 5 inches taller....and advertised as tempered glass...not good for my overflow.

Still might try the silicone thing to hold me over. Making water as we speak. Just not a good time for this nonsense to happen.

Thanks for asking Marcus.

Flippers4pups likes this.
  19. trio91

I didn't wanna hit the like button as im sure its very frustrating on your end ....if it's an emergency, you're not that far away ....Im in Ny right now but i may be able to grab a few guys and triage your tank later on tonight if it gets outta wack...lemme know bud

20. redfishbluefish

Then you better bring your party hats because we're entertaining 25 family/friends at a Holiday party. :p:D

Again working on "hold over" measures right now. Off to HD to pick up silicone to try Engineer's idea of putting it on the outside.

TheEngineer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted