OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that Paul, the red stuff was looking a little funky, so I pitched it last night.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the kind words....and @reeferman0767 I'm retired with a shop full of tools...that might explain why it's all DIY. :D

Well, back to the goby home.....I was afraid this would happen. The little bugger hasn't found the cave...or doesn't like it. Instead he has again undermined the Frogspawn....down about 1 1/2 inches....boy these guys are industrious! Not sure what I can do to make him move in. Maybe I should put the Frogspawn right in front of the cave.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WooHoo! I walked into the fish room and the little guy darted into the cave. :D

I stood there for about 15 minutes wanting a picture, but he didn't come back out. When I get a pic I'll post.

I also filled in his excavation of the Frogspawn from this morning.....lets see if he now leaves that alone.

reeferman0767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WooHoo! I walked into the fish room and the little guy darted into the cave. :D

I stood there for about 15 minutes wanting a picture, but he didn't come back out. When I get a pic I'll post.

I also filled in his excavation of the Frogspawn from this morning.....lets see if he now leaves that alone.
I was dealing with this issue to of the undermining so i got him a pistol shrimp and let tbose two pick a spot. They made either one big one with 2 entries or 2 seperate ones. Fun to watch that little pistol shrimp he is like a skiddy (bobcat) moves so fast lol

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came out!

Sorry for the poor quality...under moonlights, slow shutter speed and hand held. He took about 8 to 10 mouth fulls of sand and then darted back into his home. I'm happy. :D

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure my wrasse would like your suggestion! Cocktail sauce with that shrimp? :eek:

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a change from the start to this point.
I'm going barrow a few of your ideas, mainly the top off bucket/bottle idea!

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is killing me. I wake up this morning to find that he has now excavated the sand from around the the cave opening, actually exposing the pipe. He moved a bunch of the sand into a pile that is being picked up by the MP40.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's normal. I have a watchman gobi living with a pair of pistol shrimp. They make 7" high mountains and of course dig holes all the way to the bottom of my tank. The main way I lost corals, especially gorgonians is that they make huge holes and the corals topple onto something else. It is almost a daily occurrence.

This is an old picture (I don't remember how old) but notice the differing gravel heights? That's from them.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the float switch on my ATO crapped out (again!) However, I heading out to our local monthly club meeting now, so the fix will have to wait. Luckily I have the backup float switch that saved me from a flood. It's always something!

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit the Jebao bullet

After seeing a friend's 210 gallon tank today with 12 powerheads, I really questioned the mere two MP40's I have in my 90. Talking to another friend, he raved about the Jebao WP25. Well, I doubled that, and just ordered two for under 100 clams! That's less than what I paid for two wet side replacements for my MP's. This is the first Jebao purchase for me, so curious to see how they'll hold up. Hopefully better than the Koralia Evolution powerheads I purchased (four of them), that lasted less than a year.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Jebao pumps in my cube. Never had an issue with either and they've been running on pulse for 8 hour a day for 16 months. Just make sure everything is properly seated before you run them.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the float switch on my ATO crapped out (again!) However, I heading out to our local monthly club meeting now, so the fix will have to wait. Luckily I have the backup float switch that saved me from a flood. It's always something!

So I've been playing with my float switches over the past couple days. I take them off....they work....I put them back in, they crap out....I take them off, they work....I think you get it. Did this three times, but I think I've discovered the reason. The top of these switches can't get wet. I've got mine covered with a piece of tubing to protect them. In removing the switches this last time I've noticed a few drops of water in that one tubing of the switch giving me problems. I've pulled off the tubing and now drying out the switch/tubing. Here it is attached to the stand door with the tubing off the one side that was wet. Note that the switches are upside down.

Even though the switch has an O-ring were it first meets the snail guard, there in nothing between the snail guard, bracket and threaded collar holding the tubing, to protect from water entering the tubing. I'm thinking water can migrate through these seams. So what I'm going to do is use telfone tape on the threaded switch portion and put dielectic grease on the wire going into the switch. The thought is that the grease will help in keeping the wiring dry, even if moisture/water gets in there again.

If this doesn't work, what I've been avoiding is cutting out the switch and replacing it. I do have spare float switches if this is necessary.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the grease will help in keeping the wiring dry, even if moisture/water gets in there again.
Paul, are you worried about the grease potentially getting into the system if water does make it's way back in there?
If this doesn't work, what I've been avoiding is cutting out the switch and replacing it.

Is it possible to replace the float switches with the newer light sensor variety?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, are you worried about the grease potentially getting into the system if water does make it's way back in there?

No, not at all. Realize I've had this ATO for, I don't know, seven, eight years. That grease would be in an area that shouldn't get wet....ever. And if it did, how would it get back out. I'll now have teflon tape on the only way out....the threads.

Is it possible to replace the float switches with the newer light sensor variety?

These float switches are on a 12 volt relay (a modifies AquaHub Premium ATO). I'm not sure how the "light sensor" variety works, but would think it would be safer, if I wanted to go that route, to replace the entire ATO. I'm no aware of a DIY light sensor ATO.

Can you just pot the whole thing in silicone?

I guess I could fill the tubing with wire with silcone, but would make removal a bit difficult. Again, I've had this for years, and I'll try my "removable" way first. Thanks for the suggestion.

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read. You have some amazing skills with all types of materials. Very creative and impressive build!

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @djd3mon , you are too kind.

That's what happens when you're retired and have accumulated a shop full of tools. I just love the DIY stuff.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back