RFG or POWERHEAD?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32-gallon Biocube with the stock pump as my only flow. The pump is 265 GPH maximum flow. I plan to have mostly LPS. I need to get more water flow in the tank for these corals and for the heavy amount of diatoms/cyano building up on my sandbed. I know LPS need 240-380 GPH flow. Should I get a RFG from VCA or get a powerhead.
@Vivid Creative Aquatics

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will still need a powerhead(s) for your biocube. Pushing 265 gph (not including the head height) through an RFG nozzle will give you minimal results. RFG nozzles work best with higher flow volumes pushing through them. Running just the RFG will give you abysmal flow in your tank.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will still need a powerhead(s) for your biocube. Pushing 265 gph (not including the head height) through an RFG nozzle will give you minimal results. RFG nozzles work best with higher flow volumes pushing through them. Running just the RFG will give you abysmal flow in your tank.
Do you think a Koralia nano would be a good choice? If so, which gph: 240 or 425?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have experience with those AC powerheads. However, were I to go the AC route, I would grab a pair of them and buy one of those wavemaker dual outlet switchers so you can have even alternating flow throughout the tank. When I ran my BC29, I ran a pair of MP10s on opposing sides of the tank for my SPS nano reef.

Last edited:

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upgrade your return to this, It's DC also so it's a nice little option.

Get 1 565GPH power head. I hate Hydor but they're okay for a Nano.

Same size more flow as the smaller options.

The wave option with the dual outlets is a nice effect also but not a neccesity with a basic LPS/Softy tank.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upgrade your return to this, It's DC also so it's a nice little option.

Get 1 565GPH power head. I hate Hydor but they're okay for a Nano.

Same size more flow as the smaller options.

The wave option with the dual outlets is a nice effect also but not a neccesity with a basic LPS/Softy tank.

I’m on a budget for flow, so I may just buy 2 used Koralia 240s or 1 425. Does that sound like a good idea?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 x Jebao SLW-5 would do nicely as well, and they are a controllable DC pump.
I would prefer to have something more budget friendly.
2 240's on opposite sides is better than 1 425 for sure.
I think if I find a deal on a website I may get 2 240s. That’s what I’ll look for first. But if I can’t, I’m going to go with a 425. From what I have seen from videos is that it does great in tanks like mine. I do agree that two smaller is bigger than 1 bigger, it’s just a matter if I can find a deal because of my budget.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32-gallon Biocube with the stock pump as my only flow. The pump is 265 GPH maximum flow. I plan to have mostly LPS. I need to get more water flow in the tank for these corals and for the heavy amount of diatoms/cyano building up on my sandbed. I know LPS need 240-380 GPH flow. Should I get a RFG from VCA or get a powerhead.
@Vivid Creative Aquatics
If you want to go with just an RFG - then you will definitely need to upgrade the return pump. It would work with the stock pump, but it wont provide the kind of punchy randomized flow you're hoping for at just the 265 (minus any head loss).

The return pumps you're looking at above at 425 to 556 GPH would all do well with a single 1/2in RFG.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided I’m not going to go as thrifty as I was so I’m probably going to get a Jebao RW-4 and get one used if I can find one used. What do y’all think

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the RFG route and it was good but lacking. This is prob the best powerhead for a biocube

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 29 gallon Biocube, I upgraded the return pump to a MJ1200. I used the Vivid Creative aquatics RFG that fits appropriately for the Biocube outlet fitting. On the back wall, I had 2 Hydor 425gph powerheads that were connected to the Hydor wave controller. I believe the significant and random flow kept detritus from accumulating, which controlled dinos. My aquascape played a huge role in how the flow was achieved in the aquarium. I bought my Hydor controller used which helped with my budget. I believe the randomness of flow helped my coral growth. I currently, upgraded to a 90 gallon cube with a sump. So, in my opinion, at least upgrade your return pump with a RFG. Save up for later and purchase powerheads with a controller.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back