OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's long been the thought on it, but it seems that's not correct (according to the one confirmed case of them breeding that I've been able to find - there are rumors of a second breeding years before, but I haven't been able to verify it like this one):
They do turn yellow as they age and turn female, what I think it is is that all yellows are female but not all blues are male, hard to say

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's long been the thought on it, but it seems that's not correct (according to the one confirmed case of them breeding that I've been able to find - there are rumors of a second breeding years before, but I haven't been able to verify it like this one):
Interesting! Just when we think we have it all figured out...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting! Just when we think we have it all figured out...
I'm still waiting to see if my female turns blue, or begins to regain the yellow color. She was a very odd case. When I got her, she wasn't solid yellow, but you could see she was a juvi. She was under 30" in length and grew very quickly over a month time span.

Once added to quarantine, she began to turn banana yellow. After I added her to the reef tank, she started to turn black. I am not sure if it was the lights that provoked the colors, or not.
First day I got her,
July 06 2022
20220628_101235.jpg
A few days after adding to reef tank. July 22 2022 if I remember right.
20220725_160410_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still waiting to see if my female turns blue, or begins to regain the yellow color. She was a very odd case. When I got her, she wasn't solid yellow, but you could see she was a juvi. She was under 30" in length and grew very quickly over a month time span.

Once added to quarantine, she began to turn banana yellow. After I added her to the reef tank, she started to turn black. I am not sure if it was the lights that provoked the colors, or not.
First day I got her,
July 06 2022
20220628_101235.jpg
A few days after adding to reef tank. July 22 2022 if I remember right.
20220725_160410_HDR.jpg
from what I've experienced, the color changes, especially the flashing back to black is caused by stress/confusion in the adaptation to captivity

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
from what I've experienced, the color changes, especially the flashing back to black is caused by stress/confusion in the adaptation to captivity
Shes been with me for 7 months. The stress should be over

Let me edit this
She was shipped yellow as well. After being in the reef tank with the other fish, the yellow started to fade. We still don't know or understand what caused the transition. She is still a juvenile.

I do agree, she's confused.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shes been with me for 7 months. The stress should be over

Let me edit this
She was shipped yellow as well. After being in the reef tank with the other fish, the yellow started to fade. We still don't know or understand what caused the transition. She is still a juvenile.

I do agree, she's confused.
right, like many animals, eels darken up when stressed/scared/confused.. it sucks because their adult colors are so pretty

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
right, like many animals, eels darken up when stressed/scared/confused.. it sucks because their adult colors are so pretty
I still love her, regardless. There is an old report of an aquarium attempting to breed them, but none of them morphed into adult colors. A lot of fish in captivity as juveniles keep those colors as they become adults. We don't mimic nature well.

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still love her, regardless. There is an old report of an aquarium attempting to breed them, but none of them morphed into adult colors. A lot of fish in captivity as juveniles keep those colors as they become adults. We don't mimic nature well.
right! the solid black is very pretty as well. just not so much a fan of the in-between phase

Back