Ribbon Eel personality/group living experiment

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm doing this little write up to share my experience with the blue/black ribbon eels and keeping them in groups (and to get that cool R2R Research tag). Hopefully this will help educate people about how smart these awesome guys actually are. (Heads up that this will probably be very disorganized, but just try to stick with me)

Personally, I believe that these guys are more intelligent and capable of more than we give them credit for, and I think some of what I've found/experienced backs that up.

We already know that fish can recognize their owners, and eels being predators even more so since they have to be able to recognize everything that's going on around them. I tested this in a few different ways, the first of which would be just coming up and sitting by the tank, putting my finger up to the glass, etc. At first they would become started and retreat into their den. As time went on they went from that to just kind of not minding that I was there, then one day I tried again and the one I've had the longest now, Azulon came up to the glass to meet my finger, followed me a little bit, then went back to what he was doing. Fast forward a week and I've got my hand in the tank adjusting some rocks, and he's sticking his head out further than usual and seems quite intrigued in my arm, so I slowly moved my hand towards him, once it was close to the den entrance he comes up and basically rubs his head against my finger how a cat would, I sat there stunned, gave him a little bit of a pet/scratch with my knuckle/finger, and then he went back to what he was doing, and I did the same. I was shocked, I had just built a relationship with this eel and built up enough trust for him to not even just let me touch him, he wanted me to. The other 2 are not so much a fan of this, and will tolerate it for about 5 seconds before going back into the den, though I've had them for a much shorter period of time than Azulon.

That made me want to try something, so I enlisted the help of a friend, and for 10 dollars I got him to put his hand in the tank and try what I tried, I made sure I was out of sight of the eels when this happened, as soon as he approached the tank both of the eels lowered themselves past the threshold of the den entrance so that they could still observe what was happening and also be protected. He put his hand near the entrance, neither eel came out to greet him like they would me. I told him to move his hand closer, he did. Then out comes Azulon, quickly and aggressively. Azulon bit my friend then again retreated to just below the threshold of the entrance. Not only can these eels recognize their owners, they can tell when someone is a stranger. After about 10 minutes and with my friend out of sight I decided to come up to the tank and put my arm in. Azulon cautiously came out, seemed to look at and sniff my hand, gave me a brief head rub and then went back to his low/entrenched position in the den entrance, while this was happening Azula was seemingly scanning the tank and the surroundings.

Then that reminded me, whenever I would go to the kitchen at night I had noticed that there was always at least one seemingly on the lookout from one of the den entrances, now when I started keeping track of this it was a week prior to getting my third eel. I started to take note of which eel was out at which time, my lights are on 12 hours and off 12 hours, off from 10P to 10A. From ~10P to ~4A Azulon is always the one on watch, and from ~4A to ~10A it's always Azula. Upon the addition of the new eel they seemed to trade off every 4 hours or so, it goes Azulon, Azula, Then Sozin(the newest one) without fail every night one of the 3 is out at the corresponding time, give or take 30 minutes or so. As you can tell this shows a high level of intelligence and coordination. This didn't really surprise me but it did amaze me, we know that other animals such as bees or wolves have lookouts on shifts to ensure the safety of the den/hive. How exactly these eels communicate/coordinate with each other I'm not sure, if I'm able to observe something that I believe is indicative of this behavior I will share it here.

There is more I would like to touch on, however I do not believe that I have enough information/observed enough to confidently make statements/conclusions. I will continue to observe and experiment, I will post updates here when the occur!

I would like to thank @lion king for all his help in terms of nutritional advice for these guys. Hope you enjoy my little write up!

@Daniel@R2R can I get my cool little tag please?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it would be helpful if you could state your conclusions 1. 2. 3., etc. And perhaps add a couple control experiments - like what happens when you're standing at the tank - but you are using a stick or something else in front of them - than your arm. Additionally have your friend do the same thing. This is nice observational experiment - One thing I was not aware of is that multiple eels would do well in a tank.

PS - another experiment - what happens if you come to the tank to feed the fish, vs what happens when your friend comes and feed the fish - do they behave differently?

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would be helpful if you could state your conclusions 1. 2. 3., etc. And perhaps add a couple control experiments - like what happens when you're standing at the tank - but you are using a stick or something else in front of them - than your arm. Additionally have your friend do the same thing. This is nice observational experiment - One thing I was not aware of is that multiple eels would do well in a tank.

PS - another experiment - what happens if you come to the tank to feed the fish, vs what happens when your friend comes and feed the fish - do they behave differently?
Like I said this is still ongoing and has just been some sporadic testing and what I've noticed, as I work more than full time it's hard to find the energy to come home and have an experiment day. I was never good at science experiment reports, I'd do the actual experiment but leave it to my group mates to do the write up for it lol.

when I find a day that I have off and I have the energy to I'll have a dedicated day to run experiments, then try to do a formal write up, but I thought this would be a nice little initial write up

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm doing this little write up to share my experience with the blue/black ribbon eels and keeping them in groups (and to get that cool R2R Research tag). Hopefully this will help educate people about how smart these awesome guys actually are. (Heads up that this will probably be very disorganized, but just try to stick with me)

Personally, I believe that these guys are more intelligent and capable of more than we give them credit for, and I think some of what I've found/experienced backs that up.

We already know that fish can recognize their owners, and eels being predators even more so since they have to be able to recognize everything that's going on around them. I tested this in a few different ways, the first of which would be just coming up and sitting by the tank, putting my finger up to the glass, etc. At first they would become started and retreat into their den. As time went on they went from that to just kind of not minding that I was there, then one day I tried again and the one I've had the longest now, Azulon came up to the glass to meet my finger, followed me a little bit, then went back to what he was doing. Fast forward a week and I've got my hand in the tank adjusting some rocks, and he's sticking his head out further than usual and seems quite intrigued in my arm, so I slowly moved my hand towards him, once it was close to the den entrance he comes up and basically rubs his head against my finger how a cat would, I sat there stunned, gave him a little bit of a pet/scratch with my knuckle/finger, and then he went back to what he was doing, and I did the same. I was shocked, I had just built a relationship with this eel and built up enough trust for him to not even just let me touch him, he wanted me to. The other 2 are not so much a fan of this, and will tolerate it for about 5 seconds before going back into the den, though I've had them for a much shorter period of time than Azulon.

That made me want to try something, so I enlisted the help of a friend, and for 10 dollars I got him to put his hand in the tank and try what I tried, I made sure I was out of sight of the eels when this happened, as soon as he approached the tank both of the eels lowered themselves past the threshold of the den entrance so that they could still observe what was happening and also be protected. He put his hand near the entrance, neither eel came out to greet him like they would me. I told him to move his hand closer, he did. Then out comes Azulon, quickly and aggressively. Azulon bit my friend then again retreated to just below the threshold of the entrance. Not only can these eels recognize their owners, they can tell when someone is a stranger. After about 10 minutes and with my friend out of sight I decided to come up to the tank and put my arm in. Azulon cautiously came out, seemed to look at and sniff my hand, gave me a brief head rub and then went back to his low/entrenched position in the den entrance, while this was happening Azula was seemingly scanning the tank and the surroundings.

Then that reminded me, whenever I would go to the kitchen at night I had noticed that there was always at least one seemingly on the lookout from one of the den entrances, now when I started keeping track of this it was a week prior to getting my third eel. I started to take note of which eel was out at which time, my lights are on 12 hours and off 12 hours, off from 10P to 10A. From ~10P to ~4A Azulon is always the one on watch, and from ~4A to ~10A it's always Azula. Upon the addition of the new eel they seemed to trade off every 4 hours or so, it goes Azulon, Azula, Then Sozin(the newest one) without fail every night one of the 3 is out at the corresponding time, give or take 30 minutes or so. As you can tell this shows a high level of intelligence and coordination. This didn't really surprise me but it did amaze me, we know that other animals such as bees or wolves have lookouts on shifts to ensure the safety of the den/hive. How exactly these eels communicate/coordinate with each other I'm not sure, if I'm able to observe something that I believe is indicative of this behavior I will share it here.

There is more I would like to touch on, however I do not believe that I have enough information/observed enough to confidently make statements/conclusions. I will continue to observe and experiment, I will post updates here when the occur!

I would like to thank @lion king for all his help in terms of nutritional advice for these guys. Hope you enjoy my little write up!

@Daniel@R2R can I get my cool little tag please?
This is fascinating. That an eel will let you "pet" it, and recognize a stranger and bite him amazes me. But the real mindblowing part is their watch hours and adjusting them with the new arrival.
I already wanted a ribbon eel, now I want another.
How did your friend react to the bite? Did he think it was worth the $10? :cool:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We need an article on how to get them to eat. Seeing as there is that stigma on how 90%+ die from starvation. (i still blame cyanide poisoning.)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230206_133648.jpg
20230206_133644.jpg

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is fascinating. That an eel will let you "pet" it, and recognize a stranger and bite him amazes me. But the real mindblowing part is their watch hours and adjusting them with the new arrival.
I already wanted a ribbon eel, now I want another.
How did your friend react to the bite? Did he think it was worth the $10? :cool:
no but he still took the 10 bucks, also said I have to help him move, so that's fun!

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need an article on how to get them to eat. Seeing as there is that stigma on how 90%+ die from starvation. (i still blame cyanide poisoning.)
I can type one up, also if you're on reddit go on r/marineeels, there's a caresheet there, those are basically all the tricks I used to get mine to eat

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can type one up, also if you're on reddit go on r/marineeels, there's a caresheet there, those are basically all the tricks I used to get mine to eat
I have my methods. These forums don't have anything on ribbon eels really.
Just saying, someone should add one.
quarentine.jpg

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my methods. These forums don't have anything on ribbon eels really.
Just saying, someone should add one.
quarentine.jpg
OMG, YOU HAVE A YELLOW?!?!?! HOW?!

I've been trying to find a yellow for awhile now and have had no luck, please share your secrets

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OMG, YOU HAVE A YELLOW?!?!?! HOW?!

I've been trying to find a yellow for awhile now and have had no luck, please share your secrets
She was an accident. Btw, she was still a juvi. @lion king was there along the ride. He was extreme help with her.
Once I added her to the reef, she slowly list her yellow. Still a yellow belly with yellow freckles along her body.
Last night. Shes in a reef, lots of blue light.

Anyhow, what I've done for 3/3 ribbons, dark room or very dim light in room. Tamk lights brighter than the room.

Qt 30g or bigger. All of them ate frozen shrimp as a first meal. Now this girl was a special case. She was showing signs of intense hunger, a friend said to use a skewer and wiggle the shrimp to immitate live food. That worked.

What triggered her hunger was either a flash from the phone and probably toddler fingers.

Later I went to buy live mollies, pineapple mollies caught her attention.

She went through 2 treatments of prazi.
20230210_072203.jpg

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She was an accident. Btw, she was still a juvi. @lion king was there along the ride. He was extreme help with her.
Once I added her to the reef, she slowly list her yellow. Still a yellow belly with yellow freckles along her body.
Last night. Shes in a reef, lots of blue light.

Anyhow, what I've done for 3/3 ribbons, dark room or very dim light in room. Tamk lights brighter than the room.

Qt 30g or bigger. All of them ate frozen shrimp as a first meal. Now this girl was a special case. She was showing signs of intense hunger, a friend said to use a skewer and wiggle the shrimp to immitate live food. That worked.

What triggered her hunger was either a flash from the phone and probably toddler fingers.

Later I went to buy live mollies, pineapple mollies caught her attention.

She went through 2 treatments of prazi.
20230210_072203.jpg
ahh nice, im still looking for a yellow to add to my merry little group, so if you know of one please let me know!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ahh nice, im still looking for a yellow to add to my merry little group, so if you know of one please let me know!
According to the guy I got her from, she's the first hes ever seen. @Eric Cohen

This morning for better clarity.
20230210_073334.jpg
20230210_073331.jpg
Talk with eric, he can probably help should another surface.

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a real novice here, never having had one, but according to a documentary I watched, they are black when young, then turn blue when they get older and are males, then they age and turn into females and turn yellow.
So, if you wait long enough, they will all turn yellow.
Or is that not correct?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a real novice here, never having had one, but according to a documentary I watched, they are black when young, then turn blue when they get older and are males, then they age and turn into females and turn yellow.
So, if you wait long enough, they will all turn yellow.
Or is that not correct?
That's long been the thought on it, but it seems that's not correct (according to the one confirmed case of them breeding that I've been able to find - there are rumors of a second breeding years before, but I haven't been able to verify it like this one):
Just to add, there has been one reported instance of successful breeding with morays (Rhinomuraena quaesita - the ribbon eel, at the Vienna Zoo to be exact), though I don't think it was intentional. Some of the eggs hatched, but the larvae all died after seven days. Interestingly, they note with this that the color of the eel does not reflect the eel's sex or sexual maturity.

Back