Rich's San Francisco Build

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally settled into San Francisco and I'm ready to go!!

So I did a lot of thinking about what I like and don't like in a tank and came up with the following:
1) I wanted an All-In-One style tank.
2) I wanted to keep it shallow
3) I wanted it to be more of a top down view than a side view
4) I wanted something under 50gal to make water changes in a small SF apt feasible
5) I wanted to have something oriented in the peninsula style

After seeing the work that Advanced Acrylics (John) did for Jorge I was sold. Fortunately for me, he is also in California so shipping was a little cheaper.

After talking with John I came up with this design

Here is the AIO design that I liked the best. I think I'll end up running a nano skimmer in one of the side chambers.

John worked some magic and made the tank for me in a week!!

Also got me a stand made as well (A little rough around the edges, but will do the job)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichieT

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, that is 3/4 inch acrylic with polished rounded corners. I really love John's work. Wait to you see the clowns I got from Ed.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, that is 3/4 inch acrylic with polished rounded corners. I really love John's work. Wait to you see the clowns I got from Ed.
No way... Ed has probably the craziest clowns on a regular basis. I'm always really tempted to switch out my female for one of his stunning picassos.

Did you just set this up? As in it's not wet yet?

OP
OP
RichieT

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought a pair of super sweet clowns from a local collector.

Once I get them in my tank I'll get some better pictures, but I did take a few videos:

The first is a DaVinci (aka Fancy White), I loved the patterns and the fact that it was fairly symmetrical. My fish is the one that swims to the front of the tank:

The second is a Black Snowflake. This video sucks, but you can still see a little. The fish is in the back

OP
OP
RichieT

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way... Ed has probably the craziest clowns on a regular basis. I'm always really tempted to switch out my female for one of his stunning picassos.

Did you just set this up? As in it's not wet yet?

I got the tank in on Friday. I have a huge BRS order coming in on Tuesday. Once that comes in I'll fill it up and get it cycling. Going to try Dr. Tim's "One and Only" to get the cycle started. Still need to get some rock and figure out the scape. Should be all up and running next Sunday

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that thing. Im gonna be setting up anothet frag tank and i am really thinkng about getting one similar to that!

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank in on Friday. I have a huge BRS order coming in on Tuesday. Once that comes in I'll fill it up and get it cycling. Going to try Dr. Tim's "One and Only" to get the cycle started. Still need to get some rock and figure out the scape. Should be all up and running next Sunday

Dr tims... crushes it!! I would suggest using the ammonium chloride as well, for the fishless cycle. helps to be able to measure the amount of ammonia and have a fairly accurate level in the tank.

OP
OP
RichieT

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr tims... crushes it!! I would suggest using the ammonium chloride as well, for the fishless cycle. helps to be able to measure the amount of ammonia and have a fairly accurate level in the tank.

Yeah, bought the ammonia as well. Glad to hear you liked it. I read a couple of the guys papers and was impressed. How long was your cycle?

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to say(cant quite remember)....as I had some rock that had been curing, but was not from an established tank. my tank cycled fairly quick, within a few weeks, id say. you definitely see the ammonia getting used up and then its a wait on the nitrites and trates.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another proper Nor Cal set up. Welcome to the real part of California.

OP
OP
RichieT

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've finally got the rock work exactly the way I wanted with the help of a local pro. I wanted to keep this set-up very clean looking and the rock scape to be minimal with some impact. I've always been extremely impressed with the "bonsai" look so I decided to give it a shot. Let me know what you guys think. I have about 40-45 lbs of rock in the tank but it's only touching the bottom in two spots. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

OP
OP
RichieT

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the Dr. Tim's Product. I have a little nano set up just in case it looks like its not working the way it should. The scale looks even better in person. That free floating branch arm is apart 20 inches long

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang rich, that is purdy!!!! Makes me wanna put rock back in my display! Its awesome!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back