Rick's 300 Gallon Baltimore Build

rfrankle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of background to start off my tank thread ...

In 1997, I started a new project of refinishing my basement. As part of the project, I moved my 120 gallon FOWLR tank downstairs. About a year (and no significant injuries!) later my work was done. The basement consisted of four major areas: A home office, theater, gym, and "spa" area. The fish tank was in the wall between the theater and the "spa".

Here are some photos:

The Theater

6.jpg
7.jpg

5.jpg

The Spa

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

OP
OP
rfrankle

rfrankle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next part of the story ...

I truly enjoyed the space for about 10 years ... but then two significant problems cropped up.

1) I had built one of those gigantic projection televisions into the wall and the technology had certainly seen it's day.
2) I hadn't really planned proper access to the fish tank. This was especially true when I decided that I wanted to move forward in the hobby from a FOWLR tank to a reef system.

Hense ...

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg
IMG_2007.jpg

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see another Baltimore reefer. I'm in Harford county. Following along.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing plans like this - fully committed to reefing. I will say though that I just don't much care for 'picture frame' in wall tanks - only one viewing pane of glass. Have you considered pushing it out to reveal 3 sides and have the sump right behind it in the fish room?

OP
OP
rfrankle

rfrankle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing plans like this - fully committed to reefing. I will say though that I just don't much care for 'picture frame' in wall tanks - only one viewing pane of glass. Have you considered pushing it out to reveal 3 sides and have the sump right behind it in the fish room?

Good feedback ... which I definitely considered.

What I realized when coming up with this design is that the reality is that because the tank is in my basement ... not a more public area of the house, I am the one who is going to be “with the tank” 95% of the time ... and that will mostly probably be in the fishroom (as much as I wish it was in the workout area too!)

So, dual overflows on the sides and the back open to the fishroom with full view of the tank when I’m in there. I’m still working on a few ideas for blocking off the site lines into the fishroom quickly when I have basement guests. Playing with ideas like some sort of a hospital curtain from the ceiling or ?? .... (ideas would be great!)

I also have some ideas for spicing up the viewing area a bit ....

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still working on a few ideas for blocking off the site lines into the fishroom quickly when I have basement guests. Playing with ideas like some sort of a hospital curtain from the ceiling or ?? .... (ideas would be great!) ....

That's part of the difficulty I think - leaving clear glass in the fish room so you can see what you're working on - but not having a view of the fishroom from outside. I have no solution!

OP
OP
rfrankle

rfrankle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's part of the difficulty I think - leaving clear glass in the fish room so you can see what you're working on - but not having a view of the fishroom from outside. I have no solution!

Ahhhhh .... a good problem solving quest! ... I’m on it!! Stay tuned ....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooooh nice! Following!

OP
OP
rfrankle

rfrankle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on the previous discussion ... some early morning brainstorms on blocking off the view through the aquarium into the fish room.

Option #1 - Hem a piece of black canvas that is slightly larger than the back of the tank and sew velcro on the tops and sides to attach to velcro tabs on the tank.

Option #2 - Hang a hospital / cubicle type drape on a ceiling track. There are lots of websites selling these online. Like http://www.roomdividersnow.com

Option # 3 - Purchase 4 panels ... either 1/4" black acrylic or 1/4" starboard and that can be positioned on the back of the tank wither with velcro or small magnetic tabs

My initial thoughts are:

Option # 1 (Canvas) would be the least expensive option but would be a pain to put up and take down and would probably not look the best.
Option # 2 (Curtain Track) would be the most expensive option and the easiest to move into place when needed. Concerns are that it would be in the way all of the time, the ceiling has bulkheads in it that would have to be adjusted for, and how well would it hide any return plumbing that might be there.
Option # 3 (Acrylic or Starboard) would still not be cheap, how well and cleanly can it be secured to the back of the tank, and will the lines between the panels drive me crazy.

As always ... feedback is appreciated.

Danny Venditti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna look GREAT. it will look even better if you get rid of all the Ravens ;Vomit stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;Smuggrin;Smuggrin;Smuggrin

th

OP
OP
rfrankle

rfrankle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Framing of the back wall and part of the side wall complete!

Awaiting plumber to tap off the main water line for an RODI water line.

I would have liked to have an additional utility sink in the fish room but will have to use the one on the other side of the basement because the sewer line is higher then the basement level and there is an ejector pump that it would have needed to tie into ... too expensive. It's a little inconvenient but not the end of the world. I will run a long line for the RODI waste to the sink and have been brainstorming a way to send waste water across the basement as well for water changes.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back