What would you add for more sandturnover?

robg2008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, I upgraded to a 205 gallon from my 175. The same sand moved over to the new tank. its about 1.5 inches deep.

I have a diamond goby, several nassarius snails and a sand shift star (had him for 10 months).

My issue is my stand is very clean in the corner of the peninsula that my goby lives in but most of the rest of the tank is not very clean.

What would you add to get more sand turnover? My peninsula is in the center of my home office / home theater, so it gets lots of attention and I really prefer as clean as possible.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, I upgraded to a 205 gallon from my 175. The same sand moved over to the new tank. its about 1.5 inches deep.

I have a diamond goby, several nassarius snails and a sand shift star (had him for 10 months).

My issue is my stand is very clean in the corner of the peninsula that my goby lives in but most of the rest of the tank is not very clean.

What would you add to get more sand turnover? My peninsula is in the center of my home office / home theater, so it gets lots of attention and I really prefer as clean as possible.
Maybe a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp? I have heard that tiger pistols are crazy sand movers.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 watchman gobies in my 90g that paired up. They literally turn over every inch of sand in the tank in about a 2-3 day period. They live/sleep/hide under one of the rocks but move from one section to another over the course of the day sifting the sand.

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 Conchs in my 450 that do a good job. Also have a bunch of Dove snails that reproduce in the system helping some. I still want to add some sand sifting starfish. Just haven't added those yet.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 Conchs in my 450 that do a good job. Also have a bunch of Dove snails that reproduce in the system helping some. I still want to add some sand sifting starfish. Just haven't added those yet.
Where did you get the doves? Been looking for some.

Honestly I would expect the diamond to be turning over the whole tank. Watchman gobies usually pick a spot and stay there but diamonds usually roam the tank. If I were in your position I would get 50-75 of the large "stocky" cerith snails. A tiger tail cucumber will help a little bit too.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly I would expect the diamond to be turning over the whole tank. Watchman gobies usually pick a spot and stay there but diamonds usually roam the tank. If I were in your position I would get 50-75 of the large "stocky" cerith snails. A tiger tail cucumber will help a little bit too.
My diamond does indeed roam the entire 90 gallon tank, but he really only moves sand near his burrow. Constantly of course, but only in HIS location.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couldnt give you a count. i would guess maybe 15-20? sounds like a need a lot more.
Yes, I have big and small ones in my 65g. Probably 20 to 30 sand snails in mine. Get the big Tongan ones. They will spawn more.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond does indeed roam the entire 90 gallon tank, but he really only moves sand near his burrow. Constantly of course, but only in HIS location.
Weird. I used to have one in my 180g and one day he would decide that ALL THE SAND should be piled up on one side of the tank, then 4 days later he would decide ALL THE SAND should be piled up on the other side, then 3-4 days later put it all back, etc. lol

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. I used to have one in my 180g and one day he would decide that ALL THE SAND should be piled up on one side of the tank, then 4 days later he would decide ALL THE SAND should be piled up on the other side, then 3-4 days later put it all back, etc. lol
lol, yeah he does seem to think he needs a MOUNTAIN next to his burrow

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I honestly have no clue. They started in my frag systems and I put about 15 in my 450 display. They are all over the place now.
snail 1.jpg
snail.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Engineer goby will constantly turn over your sand everywhere. Just cant have sand dwelling corals or they will bury them, and very secure rocks since they tunnel. I love mine, had her over a year now

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just posted about whether you can get more than one diamond goby. Maybe you just answered my question. Cant see why not since they stick to their own area

zberq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sleeper head goby that takes care of my 75g. Larger sized goby and does a great job keeping sand turned over but can get messy.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vacuum the sand once a week, it's my preferred method and it does a good job keeping nutrients low and diatoms in check. no amount of sand sifters will keep your sand perfectly clean.
That's the problem. I started with fine sand and the vacuum just wants to suck it up thus ruining my pump. So I just started to take it out and throw it away. Only seems to be a problem where there is light. By the way where are all the beautiful sand people lol

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard go slow on sand sifting starfish cause they eat the good bacteria as well.

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vacuum the sand once a week, or even once a month. it's my preferred method and it does a good job keeping nutrients low and diatoms in check. no amount of sand sifters will keep your sand perfectly clean.
Used to vacum my sandbed, but since adding copepods and increasing the diversity of cuc....no longer vacum sandbed any longer. had heard vacumming sandbed reduces bacteria in sandbed which gives you more stability.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back