Rick's 5.5 Gal Nano

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited to start 5.5 gal reef tank. Which will be my second tank. I had a few things already on hand such as:

Aquaclear AC30
Caribsea dry rock
Fritz RPM salt
Coral Box Moon LED - currently used on sump
2 part reef safe epoxy
glass thermometer
Leftover black paint from my other tank
stand for back glass

So far I've purchased:
1 lbs piece of Fiji live rock
1 cup of sand from LFS
And the star of the show a 5.5 AGA
tank from petco.

This was during petcos 1$ a gal sale so it was funny when the girl at petco said "instead of paying 13.99 on a five gallon you can have a 10 gal for 10$" lol no thanks. I'm still unsure if this officially would be considered a Pico sized tank but either way the idea of a miniature reef sounds like fun.

The fact that I have a little more than a year of experience with marine tanks is a huge help. (Nowhere near pro) and also having equipment for my regular tank such as a refractometer and Salt mixing buckets and rodi filters has made this little budget build possible.

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

Messing with epoxy

IMG_1059.JPG

Rests perfectly on my dresser

IMG_1086.JPG

Side view

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coralbox moon led that will move to the 5.5 when the cycle is complete. I'd hate to lose it on my other tanks sump with that macro algea growing extremely well . I'm hoping I can find a decent refugium light at Home Depot or something .

image.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been cycling for three days so far and am pleased to find sphaghetti worms in the sand that probably came from the lfs . I still need a heater as the tank has been running at a consistent 74 degrees. Trying to decide which one will be best and compact enough for the 5.5

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EHEIM seem to be pretty popular with members. I have a sump and run a Finnex using my controller, great heater also

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I forgot in my first post . I purchased a 10 pound bag of of aragonite from petco . Seeded with about a pound of sand from one of my lfs. I really like this sand. It doesn't move around with flow from the hob filter even though I can see all sorts of stuff moving through the water in the tank.

I got a very decent 1.5 in to 2 in bed and still had some leftover

IMG_1087.JPG

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! I've been cycling for three weeks without lights but today I was finally able move over my coralbox moon led to the pico. The light is more than enough and I'm very pleased. I have a hydor 25w coming Monday. No ammonia or nitrite showing but a little more nitrate than I like . Before I add any coral I'll do a good water change. It's neat to see that I have various tube worms and , sphagetti worms and tiny Copepods on the glass presumably from the cup of live sand purchased from the lfs. I have a lonely hermit crab helping take care of food I throw in every now and then .

IMG_1127.JPG

Mr. Crab aka Chief Crab
IMG_1130.JPG

Lighting schedule so far
IMG_1128.PNG

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment to add to list
- Hydor 25w heater
- Aqueon 15 quietflow internal filter.

The heater has kept a solid 78 degrees and my fingers are crossed that all will be will until I can dive into a controller option.

I've had the aqueon internal filter for quite some time back from my first very first aquarium which was freshwater. Way back in early 2015 lol.
I'm running it with a sponge and filter fiber. In one week I noticed that I didn't have much flow and considered buying a hydor pico 180 power head but after removing the used up floss and replacing it I'm up and running again.

Together with the aquaclear 30 , I really like the flow . My new torch is loving it. I got some really amazing deals on a torch and zoas from a local reefer.

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the torch coral to my larger tank. It was doing well . Too well . I had all my zoas far from it as extended quite a bit . now I have them spread here and there and I love it. In just a months time my single polyp orange rainbow, sunny d , red people eater zoa last have all sprouted more polyps . wish I could get a better picture. I've been running all blues. I may switch on a smidge of white .

IMG_1227.JPG

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have broken the 5.5 down . Although I had a slight algae problem and zoas weren't thriving , I'm sure that could have been remedied . What I found was that having an AIO is probably the best option for me to run such a small reef. I'll be able to hide the heater and not rely on the HOB filter and internal filter I was using for flow and filter floss. Also I've moved livestock to my 40 gallon with 20 sump. I will say that having to maintain one tank will be much easier. The main reason I got this pico running was that my 40 was infested with Dinos and I wanted something pretty to look at. Plus I have this awesome light . I will have to put the coral box moo led aside for awhile. One tank I've been eyeing is the nuvo fusion 10. Man that tank looks sweet. Dimension ,clarity, and price wise . Well in a way I'll miss the tank but at least i I got some lessons in running a small reef. Less Stability! Lol:)

IMG_1446.JPG

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.0%
Back