Ricky McG's Fluval Evo

RickyMcG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Backstory
I’ve had aquariums on and off since I was 10, which is to say: 50 years. All freshwater except for a brief foray into a 50 gal fish-only SW that was too big for the space it was in and a 5 gal pico with a few coral and a shrimp (can’t recall why that one came down; likely I was too busy at the time).

The kids are grown, we sold the house, bought a townhouse three years ago and now, somehow, I managed to convince my wife that a reef tank would look great in the nook by the dining room. Her two requests: the tank has to stay “clean” and the stand can’t be ugly.

Our space (and my budget) is small so I bought a Fluval Evo 13.5, a nice-looking, affordable cabinet from Wayfair and have taken the dive.

Hardware
  • Fluval Evo 13.5
  • Stock pump (for now)
  • Cobalt Aquatics 50w Neo-Therm heater
  • Hydor Coralia Nano 240 power head
  • Fluval LED Lamp Timer
  • Belkin 8-Outlet power strip in the cabinet
  • DIY water station made from
    • A Vittles Vault food container
    • Rain-barrel bulkhead
    • Fluval heater
    • Cheap power head
    • Wire stacking shelf
Mods
  • inTank Chamber One and Two inserts
  • JBJ Refugium light over chamber two (for a refugium)
  • Ditched the Fluval sponge and media in favor of filter floss and three MarinePure balls in chamber one (will eventually toss some carbon in there)
Setup and Launch
  • 16-17 lbs base rock from ARC Reef
  • Red Sea Coral Pro salt
  • 1 bottle Purple Helix from ARC Reef (which had 3 small pieces of aragonite with purple coral on them - you can see these in the pics)
  • 1 cup Chaeto in the refugium
I filled the tank about two weeks ago, packed a cup of chaeto in chamber two and have been dosing with ammonia. I’m fairly certain the cycle’s done: ammonia consistently goes to 0 in less than a day, nitrites hit 0 in about the same time, nitrates accumulate pretty quickly (haven’t tested since Saturday). I did a complete water change mid-week last week, since the nitrates were off the chart. I plan on doing another one before stocking.

Observations, More Mods and SNAFUs
The tank runs hot (81-82). I’m sure it’s a combination of the closed lid/light, heat from the power head and effects of the JBJ fuge light (which runs at night on a timer). The heat is supposed to be good for cycling and propagating coralline, but nobody else will want to live in there.

Since I believe the main culprit is the lid—and I planned on eventually going rimless and upgrading the light to an AI Prime HD—I bought a Prime last week and set it up Friday night. Totally love it. Except Saturday morning it bit the dust: status light blinks red and no amount of soft or hard rebooting will fix it. Grrr! Will find out today who’s going to replace it, Marine Depot or AquaIllumination.

I also wonder about the flow in chamber two. It kinda sucks. The inTank insert is great at forcing water into the bottom of the second chamber, but the top looks stagnant. Also, the water level in the DT has to be pretty high in order to have decent flow over the top of the intake to chamber one. Not sure what I’m going to do about that yet.

Beyond that, things are going pretty well. The chaeto appears to be growing. The tank’s got diatoms and the rocks have spots of green algae, a couple of small patches of hair algae and, I’m thrilled to report, about 5 small purple dots of (what I’m hoping is) coralline from the Purple Helix (these seem to be multiplying) - see the red arrows in the pic.

Next Steps
The overall plan is to have mostly coral, some inverts and a few fish. I’m thinking maybe I can stock it up to five fish over the long haul, depending on how the chemistry shakes out.

I’m considering starting with a very small clean-up crew, one fish and one coral. I’m fairly certain the balance of bacteria will support that, since one dose of ammonia (20 eyedrops) results in about 20ppm nitrate in a day (would love feedback on this).

Since I’m new(ish) to this, I’m planning on “easy” livestock. Don’t know about the coral or inverts yet, but here’s the initial fish list, from which I’ll narrow things down:
  • Yellow Clown Goby
  • Barnacle Blenny
  • Pair of Clowns (I think these might be a requirement, though opinions vary on keeping them in a tank this small)
  • Firefish
  • Pygmy Wrasse
  • Hi Fin Goby
  • Yasha Haze Goby
  • Greenbanded Goby
Likely, I’ll start with a Firefish.

Nothing’s going to change for a few weeks though, since I won’t be around much to attend to anything. I guess it’s good to wait anyway. I’ve read time and again that this hobby is all about patience—and figuring out where the next $100+ will be spent.
IMG_0218.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0224.jpg
IMG_0227.jpg
IMG_0224b.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0228.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Backstory
I’ve had aquariums on and off since I was 10, which is to say: 50 years. All freshwater except for a brief foray into a 50 gal fish-only SW that was too big for the space it was in and a 5 gal pico with a few coral and a shrimp (can’t recall why that one came down; likely I was too busy at the time).

The kids are grown, we sold the house, bought a townhouse three years ago and now, somehow, I managed to convince my wife that a reef tank would look great in the nook by the dining room. Her two requests: the tank has to stay “clean” and the stand can’t be ugly.

Our space (and my budget) is small so I bought a Fluval Evo 13.5, a nice-looking, affordable cabinet from Wayfair and have taken the dive.

Hardware
  • Fluval Evo 13.5
  • Stock pump (for now)
  • Cobalt Aquatics 50w Neo-Therm heater
  • Hydor Coralia Nano 240 power head
  • Fluval LED Lamp Timer
  • Belkin 8-Outlet power strip in the cabinet
  • DIY water station made from
    • A Vittles Vault food container
    • Rain-barrel bulkhead
    • Fluval heater
    • Cheap power head
    • Wire stacking shelf
Mods
  • inTank Chamber One and Two inserts
  • JBJ Refugium light over chamber two (for a refugium)
  • Ditched the Fluval sponge and media in favor of filter floss and three MarinePure balls in chamber one (will eventually toss some carbon in there)
Setup and Launch
  • 16-17 lbs base rock from ARC Reef
  • Red Sea Coral Pro salt
  • 1 bottle Purple Helix from ARC Reef (which had 3 small pieces of aragonite with purple coral on them - you can see these in the pics)
  • 1 cup Chaeto in the refugium
I filled the tank about two weeks ago, packed a cup of chaeto in chamber two and have been dosing with ammonia. I’m fairly certain the cycle’s done: ammonia consistently goes to 0 in less than a day, nitrites hit 0 in about the same time, nitrates accumulate pretty quickly (haven’t tested since Saturday). I did a complete water change mid-week last week, since the nitrates were off the chart. I plan on doing another one before stocking.

Observations, More Mods and SNAFUs
The tank runs hot (81-82). I’m sure it’s a combination of the closed lid/light, heat from the power head and effects of the JBJ fuge light (which runs at night on a timer). The heat is supposed to be good for cycling and propagating coralline, but nobody else will want to live in there.

Since I believe the main culprit is the lid—and I planned on eventually going rimless and upgrading the light to an AI Prime HD—I bought a Prime last week and set it up Friday night. Totally love it. Except Saturday morning it bit the dust: status light blinks red and no amount of soft or hard rebooting will fix it. Grrr! Will find out today who’s going to replace it, Marine Depot or AquaIllumination.

I also wonder about the flow in chamber two. It kinda sucks. The inTank insert is great at forcing water into the bottom of the second chamber, but the top looks stagnant. Also, the water level in the DT has to be pretty high in order to have decent flow over the top of the intake to chamber one. Not sure what I’m going to do about that yet.

Beyond that, things are going pretty well. The chaeto appears to be growing. The tank’s got diatoms and the rocks have spots of green algae, a couple of small patches of hair algae and, I’m thrilled to report, about 5 small purple dots of (what I’m hoping is) coralline from the Purple Helix (these seem to be multiplying) - see the red arrows in the pic.

Next Steps
The overall plan is to have mostly coral, some inverts and a few fish. I’m thinking maybe I can stock it up to five fish over the long haul, depending on how the chemistry shakes out.

I’m considering starting with a very small clean-up crew, one fish and one coral. I’m fairly certain the balance of bacteria will support that, since one dose of ammonia (20 eyedrops) results in about 20ppm nitrate in a day (would love feedback on this).

Since I’m new(ish) to this, I’m planning on “easy” livestock. Don’t know about the coral or inverts yet, but here’s the initial fish list, from which I’ll narrow things down:
  • Yellow Clown Goby
  • Barnacle Blenny
  • Pair of Clowns (I think these might be a requirement, though opinions vary on keeping them in a tank this small)
  • Firefish
  • Pygmy Wrasse
  • Hi Fin Goby
  • Yasha Haze Goby
  • Greenbanded Goby
Likely, I’ll start with a Firefish.

Nothing’s going to change for a few weeks though, since I won’t be around much to attend to anything. I guess it’s good to wait anyway. I’ve read time and again that this hobby is all about patience—and figuring out where the next $100+ will be spent.
IMG_0218.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0224.jpg
IMG_0227.jpg
IMG_0224b.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0228.jpg

Looks nice. That would be a lot of fish for that tank, but most of them will find their niche perhaps. I would suggest one clown as a pair may become aggressive, but it has been done in that tank before.

Good luck with your light and welcome to the forum!

EDIT: I re-read and I see that is a list of possibilities. When you start picking, this is a good thread for advice on tank size and compatibility

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...for-your-tank-post-here-and-well-help.200605/

OP
OP
RickyMcG

RickyMcG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacement AI Prime arrived yesterday, set it up last night, just logged into the app remotely and it appears to be working fine. Very prompt support from AquaIllumination.

Did a two-gallon water change and inspected the Chaeto. It doubled in size (from one to two cups) in 3 weeks! Ditched half of it to make more room in the fuge.

The hair algae is beginning to accumulate more than I’d like, but I won’t be able to attend to it until next weekend. Hopefully it won’t get too much out of hand before I get my hands and/or some hungry snails in there. John at http://www.reefcleaners.org/ suggested I get this CUC:
  • 10 Dwarf Ceriths
  • 3 Nassarius vibex
  • 4 Florida Ceriths
  • 4 Nerites
Would appreciate some feedback on that. Also wondering what small crabs might be suitable.

Other things I’m pondering:
First fish - Firefish?
First coral?
Can I add the CUC, one fish and one coral together? 2.5ppm ammonia has been totally converting to nitrate in about 24 hours. Maybe add the CUC and give them a week to earn their keep?

If you have any ideas, I’m all ears.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy the EVO tanks, and I'd like to follow this build :D as far as your question, your clean up crew list looks good. I'd get the crew in there and see how the tank handles it before adding a fish (just in the event of an odd nutrient spike). But a firefish is a great first addition :) For coral, it's going to depend on your goals for the tank. Are you looking at a mixed reef, softies only, or softies and lps?

OP
OP
RickyMcG

RickyMcG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Crabs Mcjones! Re: coral goals, I’d like to start with softies and progress to a mix of whatever might be happy, or whatever I might be able to attend to, or whatever my budget might support. Which is all to say, as a relative newbie I’m not sure. :) All part of the learning experience, I suppose.

OP
OP
RickyMcG

RickyMcG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Returned from vacation in Portland, OR Sunday night. Had my neighbor continue ammonia dosing while I was gone. Came back to a very dirty, hairy tank (as expected)!

On Monday, I:
  • Painted the back of the tank black (ditched the black background I had on it earlier)
  • Did a 95% water change/syphoned sand
  • Cleaned out the hair algae
I'm also leaving the lights off for a few days to see how the algae might subside, but I don't want to do this too long because I'm concerned the beginnings of coralline might be negatively affected. (Feedback on that please.)

Snails should arrive tomorrow or Friday.
Q: Can/should I restart ammonia dosing with them in the tank? My concern is bacteria die off, or will the few snails be enough to keep things stable. Don't know if snails can deal with ammonia/nitrite.

Pics of the tank before/after and a pic of starfish, snail and anemones from OR coastal tidepool...
IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg

OP
OP
RickyMcG

RickyMcG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

Two weeks back I went to the LFS and picked up four small things: a green emerald crab (for algae cleanup), a pair of very young clowns and a teeny green banded goby.

The crab seems to be doing his/her job as a ton of the algae is trimmed (I've caught a few glimpses of it doing its work: reminds me of someone snacking on chips, reaching into the bag and grabbing a handful, stuffing it in, then reaching for more). On top of that the crab's already molted.

The clowns seem pretty happy, but they hang out on the right side of the tank, never venturing very far. I'm wondering if it's because the side wall is the sump (black) and that area feels safe. Hoping they lose their shyness with intro and growth of coral.

Unfortunately, the LFS associate misinformed me that banded gobies aren't jumpers (I've since read they're strong jumpers). The tank is rimless with no top. Said goby was MIA for a few days; found it shriveled on the floor. :-(

I've since bought a screen lid, which I'm installing today.

Aside from that, all seems well. The tank is increasingly staying cleaner and nitrates remain undetectable. Which makes sense, since the chaeto in the fuge grows about 1/2 cup/week.

Next step is to add coral. Having a very hard time figuring out where to start. Certainly will be some softies, but I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger without knowing more of a) what I want and b) what I'm doing and c) what I want and d) what I'm doing ...

Here's a pic, after today's water change:
IMG_0546.jpg

The crab...

OP
OP
RickyMcG

RickyMcG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I attended to something that's been bugging me for some time: the InTank Chamber One Insert.

The insert was one of my first mods, and I appreciate the way it forces flow through the media chambers. What I didn't like was:
  1. If forces flow all the way to the bottom three vents into chamber two of the sump, which causes very poor flow in the top of chamber two (my fuge, with inTank Chamber Two Insert)
  2. The height of the insert restricts flow into the overflow by about 50%
InTank says the height of the insert is the same as Fluval's protein skimmer intake. Be that as it may, I'm not using a skimmer, and wanted to improve the overall flow into the sump.

My solution was two-fold:
  1. A DIY media basket made of plexiglass and egg crate that hangs from the top of the first chamber ("hangs" in the sense that it's so snug it can sit there on its own, even though I made a lip on the left top)
  2. A DIY media shelf that sits on the bottom of the first chamber, effectively keeping media at the height of the bottom vent
I'm very happy with the results — doubled the flow through the vents in the overflow and into chamber two!

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I attended to something that's been bugging me for some time: the InTank Chamber One Insert.

The insert was one of my first mods, and I appreciate the way it forces flow through the media chambers. What I didn't like was:
  1. If forces flow all the way to the bottom three vents into chamber two of the sump, which causes very poor flow in the top of chamber two (my fuge, with inTank Chamber Two Insert)
  2. The height of the insert restricts flow into the overflow by about 50%
InTank says the height of the insert is the same as Fluval's protein skimmer intake. Be that as it may, I'm not using a skimmer, and wanted to improve the overall flow into the sump.

My solution was two-fold:
  1. A DIY media basket made of plexiglass and egg crate that hangs from the top of the first chamber ("hangs" in the sense that it's so snug it can sit there on its own, even though I made a lip on the left top)
  2. A DIY media shelf that sits on the bottom of the first chamber, effectively keeping media at the height of the bottom vent
I'm very happy with the results — doubled the flow through the vents in the overflow and into chamber two!

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

Very clever!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back