Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan.+2,+2014+FTS.jpg

Most of the sand has been siphoned out :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good! Bigger photos needed!

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed both Ecotech Vortech MP-40w's and replaced them with one Jebao WP-60 and all I can say is WOW! The Vortech's were too noisy and I have sent them back twice for repair but I finally threw in the towel with these pumps and gave the Jebao a try. The flow from one WP-60 is better than both MP-40's and the wave setting on the Jebao is superb, I could never create a wave in my 120 gallon with two MP-40's no matter what I tried. I purchased two Jebao WP-60's but one is more than enough for my tank needs, the second one will be my backup :) The Jebao is more quiet than the Vortech but it also takes up much more real estate in the tank.

Jebao+WP-60.jpg

I thought the same thing. I ran Tunze forever and then switched to Jebao cuz they were cheap and did the same thing as a Tunze. Then I replaced the 2-WP40s with 2-Vortech MP40s and HOLY COW...they stirred up so much detritus in my tank. I was a big tunze fan until I switched to vortechs.

I just learned to deal with the noise. It does bum me out that these crazy expensive pumps are so noisy.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
gorgeous photos sir. at what f-stop are those taken? taken in full manual, if so at what shutter speed and aperture? thanks for sharing!

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, Nikon D5100 DSLR, Tamron 90mm Macro lens, manual mode, 160 ISO, f/4, 1/125 shutter speed.
i have the same lens for my alpha body - it's great! i'm surprised you get such a large field of focus with f/4. i'll have to play around with my setting some more.

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a new piece of equipment for my tank. I added an ATI Powercone 250 I-Series protein skimmer. I know it is oversized for my tank but it will be perfect for my next upgrade. It is rated for up to 500 gallons and is currently pulling 3,485 lph of air! It comes with a digital air flow meter and a DC pump which allows me to adjust the water flow rate at the pump. I really like the grid wheel design on the impeller vs. a needle wheel impeller. It is very energy efficient as well, ATI has the pump rated for for 35 watts but at full speed mine only draws 28 watts according to my Kill-A-Watt meter. The pump is dead silent, I couldn't even tell it was on. I read online many Powercone users did not like the way the skimmer cup was designed but personally I love it because it allows for easy removal. My old Vertex skimmer cup was hard to remove and I would sometimes spill the waste back into the tank. The only drawback to this skimmer is its massive size. I had to removed my refugium in order to make room for this skimmer. I also had to assemble it inside the sump. So far I am very pleased with my purchase and I cannot wait to see what the skimmate looks like once the skimmer is broken in after two weeks of use.

DSC_0556.JPG

DSC_0551.jpg

DSC_0549.JPG

DSC_0564.JPG

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rickey you have some good taste in acros! Beautiful reef!! Thanks for sharing!

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this start to finish, and I gotta say, I am impressed by your patience! As mentioned, fantastic choice in SPS and Acans, it was awesome watching the progressive shots along the way.

Look forward to watching this one grow!

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super nice color
What are the magic? Can you share your maintenance procedures?
Did you remove the sand recently?
If so, can we see the updated full tank shot of your tank without the sand?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed a few corals and replaced them with new frags. I also added a few more fish :) I was having trouble these past few months after upgrading my protein skimmer because my corals lightened up a lot and looked a lot like the ZEOvit tanks (not a look that I prefer). I started feeding heavily and bumped my nitrates up to 10 mg/L and saw my colors come back. They are a little darker than I would like but in a few months they will be back to normal. I am also going to add a refugium back into my sump. I feel that my tank was more stable when I had one with the old protein skimmer. Here are a few top down shots.

Banana+Caroliniana.jpg

Banana Caroliniana

Purple+Dragon+Eyes.jpg

Tyree Purple Dragon Eyes

Ricky's+Poison+Ivy.jpg

Ricky's Poison Ivy

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back