0   0   0
SCOrangePassion.jpg

SC Orange Passion

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you keep these levels of no3 and po4? I always have everything close to zero or with an unbalanced redfield

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently experiencing polyp retraction on a few of my acropora and the tissue looks as though it is thinner than usual. Some of the colors look less vibrant and two acro's RTNed on me. I am using Instant Ocean sea salt and I dose ESV B-Ionic two part as well as ESV Transition Elements. I perform 15% weekly water changes, I do not run carbon or GFO but I did add BRS ROX 0.8 carbon two weeks ago hoping it would help resolve the issue of the stressed corals. I tested my RO/DI water which comes out 0 TDS and 0 for free and total chlorine which also means 0 chloramines. My last ICP test showed elevated Bromine, Iodine, Lithium, Selenium and low Barium, Fluorine, Molybdenum and Manganese. Nitrates read 9 ppm and Phosphates read 0.05 ppm. My Salifert Nitrate test kit was reading between 10 and 25ppm and the Hanna ULR Checker was reading 0.12 ppm during this time. I am continuing the perform water changes but this week I am going to perform two extra water changes. I am also dosing the depleted elements with ATI supplements. I dosed sodium nitrate and Seachem Phosphorus last night to bring my nutrient levels back up as I run alkalinity between 8.5 and 9.0 dKH and when I have better results with higher nutrient levels when running my tank at this level of alkalinity. I removed the BRS ROX 0.8 carbon as well. I did check my powerheads, return pump and heaters for corrosion and found nothing. To my surprise some of the stressed corals are still growing but they do not have the usual vibrant colors or polyp extension. I am trying to get my tank back to how it was a few months ago and mimic those water parameters. Stay tuned for updates as I hope I can turn my tank around . . .

ASD Strawberry Lemonade

January 25, 2020
ASDStrawberryLemonade.jpeg

March 14, 2020
ASD%2BStrawberry%2BLemonade.JPG

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently experiencing polyp retraction on a few of my acropora and the tissue looks as though it is thinner than usual. Some of the colors look less vibrant and two acro's RTNed on me. I am using Instant Ocean sea salt and I dose ESV B-Ionic two part as well as ESV Transition Elements. I perform 15% weekly water changes, I do not run carbon or GFO but I did add BRS ROX 0.8 carbon two weeks ago hoping it would help resolve the issue of the stressed corals. I tested my RO/DI water which comes out 0 TDS and 0 for free and total chlorine which also means 0 chloramines. My last ICP test showed elevated Bromine, Iodine, Lithium, Selenium and low Barium, Fluorine, Molybdenum and Manganese. Nitrates read 9 ppm and Phosphates read 0.05 ppm. My Salifert Nitrate test kit was reading between 10 and 25ppm and the Hanna ULR Checker was reading 0.12 ppm during this time. I am continuing the perform water changes but this week I am going to perform two extra water changes. I am also dosing the depleted elements with ATI supplements. I dosed sodium nitrate and Seachem Phosphorus last night to bring my nutrient levels back up as I run alkalinity between 8.5 and 9.0 dKH and when I have better results with higher nutrient levels when running my tank at this level of alkalinity. I removed the BRS ROX 0.8 carbon as well. I did check my powerheads, return pump and heaters for corrosion and found nothing. To my surprise some of the stressed corals are still growing but they do not have the usual vibrant colors or polyp extension. I am trying to get my tank back to how it was a few months ago and mimic those water parameters. Stay tuned for updates as I hope I can turn my tank around . . .

ASD Strawberry Lemonade

January 25, 2020
ASDStrawberryLemonade.jpeg

March 14, 2020
ASD%2BStrawberry%2BLemonade.JPG
I hate hearing these stories. A similar situation happened to me many years ago on my best SPS tank to date. It ended up being that my Refractometer was not calibrated properly because of bad solution. Another SPS reefer in here believes this can happen when bacteria starts running low from all the SPS consuming it and it not being dosed. I’m sure you’ll get this resolved. Great thread by the way, you’re definitely skilled at keeping SPS and taking pictures.

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate hearing these stories. A similar situation happened to me many years ago on my best SPS tank to date. It ended up being that my Refractometer was not calibrated properly because of bad solution. Another SPS reefer in here believes this can happen when bacteria starts running low from all the SPS consuming it and it not being dosed. I’m sure you’ll get this resolved. Great thread by the way, you’re definitely skilled at keeping SPS and taking pictures.

Thank you, I will look into dosing bacteria.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rickyrooz I also wanted to ask you, how many hours per day do you run your T5s with all 8-bulbs at 100%? How many hours for the LEDs? I know this is totally unrelated to the issue you're having, but I'm just curious because I use very similar lights. Thanks

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have the corals been looking the last week?

Corals are still about the same for the ones that haven't been looking well but the remaining corals are growing well and Dkh/ca consumption has increased with the bi weekly trace element dosing. I am going to send out another ICP test soon to dial in how much I need to dose per week without overdosing or under dosing but with Instant Ocean it seems I am having to dose Fluorine, Barium, Molybdenum, Manganese, Vanadium and Iron (I am using ATI products for these elements).

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rickyrooz I also wanted to ask you, how many hours per day do you run your T5s with all 8-bulbs at 100%? How many hours for the LEDs? I know this is totally unrelated to the issue you're having, but I'm just curious because I use very similar lights. Thanks

Two ATI Blue plus come on for 12 hours a day, the remaining six bulbs come on for 8 hours and the LED strips are on for 7 hours.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Micromussa are to die for.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks awesome! I was just about to post about mounting frags to overflows, back walls, etc. I see your frags mounted on your overflow. Did you just use glue? Also, are they easy to remove if needed? Tank looks great!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back