Ricordea Florida splitting experience

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've read an exponential amount of material pertaining to ricordea fission and people's various experiences. The one key piece I often find universal is the idea that ricordea split extremely slowly naturally, and if they do split rapidly its due to stress. So I'm writing this to show that in my current experience the ricordea in my tank and are happy, but have split from a single r.florida with 5 mouths into 3 separate in the last 3 days. This process has been extremely expeditious and I just wanted to share it with the reeding community. Pics should be below.

97C1FBFE-ACC7-4F27-BC08-59EB981BADA3-7950-000008FDB1A9059F_zpse73d8d1c.jpg

12047C9B-E54B-4B0F-9E93-11ABB77396DB-7950-000008FD3BE35C04_zps64b96bad.jpg

4908C678-498B-4B3C-9314-4F46C3893322-7950-000008FD160FCD45_zpscf2c71b2.jpg

amppdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever gotten them to split by running a razor blade between the mouths. Once I split a single mouthed polyp through the middle of the mouth and it just healed right back together again! So these just came apart completely on their own? thanks for the pics

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will not stop splitting lol! Had one blue amd now have 5 and all of them are about to split because they have 2 mouths. Also these cool orange ones I have have made 9 and only started with one.

OP
OP
I

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever gotten them to split by running a razor blade between the mouths. Once I split a single mouthed polyp through the middle of the mouth and it just healed right back together again! So these just came apart completely on their own? thanks for the pics

Yeah man I got this big orange one as that single ric like 2 months ago and literally 4 days ago it just started to split. It's trippy too because as you can see the middle split away from the ends, and the ends haven't moved, nor were they bothered at all, very strange indeed. And I have never cut mine because I heard they leech all kinds of toxins into the display and I don't have a qt, that's cool that you pull it off though, do you leave them in the DT?

OP
OP
I

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will not stop splitting lol! Had one blue amd now have 5 and all of them are about to split because they have 2 mouths. Also these cool orange ones I have have made 9 and only started with one.

That's dope dude, mine haven't gone crazy splitting like that yet, even though they have multiple mouths, whatever you're doing its good haha. Wish I had some more, I want a little ricordea island in my tank. There's too many euphyllia and war coral near them though its dangerous territory.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's dope dude, mine haven't gone crazy splitting like that yet, even though they have multiple mouths, whatever you're doing its good haha. Wish I had some more, I want a little ricordea island in my tank. There's too many euphyllia and war coral near them though its dangerous territory.
Lol I had a speck break off and I mean a speck, like 2 mm, I put it in this little crevice and it has grown into 3 ric and actually stings the warcoral which is also growing like crazy

OP
OP
I

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I had a speck break off and I mean a speck, like 2 mm, I put it in this little crevice and it has grown into 3 ric and actually stings the warcoral which is also growing like crazy

Say what!! Are you feeding your tank roids or crack or what? And that's nuts that your rics battle with the favites, Jesus.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say what!! Are you feeding your tank roids or crack or what? And that's nuts that your rics battle with the favites, Jesus.
Haha nope just have my 2 part hardness and alk plus! The piece was just a little bigger than a single bubble or tentacle. Whatever you wanna call it haha. Wish I had some ultra, ultra ones. My tank would look sick

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice looking purple and green one that does this all the time. The colony is so huge now that I need to start fragging some. Also the big mother "head" is about 5 inches wide when fully extended. It looks more like a nem than a ric most days...

OP
OP
I

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice looking purple and green one that does this all the time. The colony is so huge now that I need to start fragging some. Also the big mother "head" is about 5 inches wide when fully extended. It looks more like a nem than a ric most days...

That's awesome. I've been looking for a true purple one for a while from local reefers, but the size of that sounds enormous. It's a Yuma right? The one your talking about?

OP
OP
I

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha nope just have my 2 part hardness and alk plus! The piece was just a little bigger than a single bubble or tentacle. Whatever you wanna call it haha. Wish I had some ultra, ultra ones. My tank would look sick

Sounds like that dosing is paying off. I tend not to dose anything since I have a nano and I perform water changes so frequently it's pretty unnecessary. And those ultras are sick dude but the prices they command are fairly astronomical as far as I'm concerned for how easy it is to cultivate, propagate, and maintain ricordea. Like always though, if there's a demand, and people succumb to their addiction and temptation of spontaneously buying what they fall in love with, then ridiculous prices will be paid.

OP
OP
I

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine does so much splitting that they started taking over one corner of my tank.I just sold 40+ of these guys and I still have have a whole bunch of babies left.One guy I gave him 28 ric for $35.

Wow. I can't even respond to this. What an incredible problem to have, and those prices are insanely generous.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like that dosing is paying off. I tend not to dose anything since I have a nano and I perform water changes so frequently it's pretty unnecessary. And those ultras are sick dude but the prices they command are fairly astronomical as far as I'm concerned for how easy it is to cultivate, propagate, and maintain ricordea. Like always though, if there's a demand, and people succumb to their addiction and temptation of spontaneously buying what they fall in love with, then ridiculous prices will be paid.
Yeah I tend to slack on the water changes doing them once every 4-5 weeks. And yeah I get a little bit of a prcie break being down here in fl but not much. A lot of sweet ones with pink mouths come out of puerto rico too

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine does so much splitting that they started taking over one corner of my tank.I just sold 40+ of these guys and I still have have a whole bunch of babies left.One guy I gave him 28 ric for $35.

These look just Luke the ones I have other than mine are a deeper purple. Could be the same thing under different lights though.

birdsnest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those look like yuma's and $35 would be a steal for just a few of those.

OP
OP
I

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I tend to slack on the water changes doing them once every 4-5 weeks. And yeah I get a little bit of a prcie break being down here in fl but not much. A lot of sweet ones with pink mouths come out of puerto rico too

That's awesome that you're in FL man that's the coral Mecca honestly. And I have some yellow/orange ones with pink mouths, no idea where they came from though. Would be sweet to be able to collect them in the wild myself.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah back when my dad went to university of miami him and his friends would go collect ricordea everywhere thinking they were anemones lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back