Ricordea Mounting Thoughts

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just soliciting ideas from the more experienced here:
Found a TINY ricordea florida just spinning around in the water column with no reasonable chance of ever attaching to anything.
My goto response is always just Super Glue but, in this case, seems not viable -- the ricordea is super tiny (think around 1/4 of normal human pinky fingernail) and,,, well,,, uhhh,,, 'shrooms be kinda slimy.

ricordea_tiny1.jpeg

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that cup it’s in now is in the tank you could leave it as is for a couple weeks it’ll attach itself to either that plug or some of the substrate. If the latter you could then glue it to whatever you want it mounted to permanently.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that cup it’s in now is in the tank you could leave it as is for a couple weeks it’ll attach itself to either that plug or some of the substrate. If the latter you could then glue it to whatever you want it mounted to permanently.
+1
Let it attach to something on its own.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine float around the tank and fall to the rock abyss only to show up weeks or months later attached to a rock in the tank. I like to let nature run its course with corals like that since they are fairly inexpensive.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just soliciting ideas from the more experienced here:
Found a TINY ricordea florida just spinning around in the water column with no reasonable chance of ever attaching to anything.
My goto response is always just Super Glue but, in this case, seems not viable -- the ricordea is super tiny (think around 1/4 of normal human pinky fingernail) and,,, well,,, uhhh,,, 'shrooms be kinda slimy.

ricordea_tiny1.jpeg
I've got an outbreak of lavalamp mushies that need containing.ill be using the rubber band on tile method

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an outbreak of lavalamp mushies that need containing.ill be using the rubber band on tile method
Yeah,,, thought about it briefly but this one is super tiny,,, don't think I'd have any chance of manipulating rubber bands in any useful manner here.

With leathers, I've had slightly better success with loose ZipTies over rubber bands but, truth be told, neither of those methods have worked out that well (for me, personally).

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few days of swirling around, the tiny ricordea seems to (maybe) have settled into one spot for the last 2-3 days,,, so hoping for the best.

My NEW question has to do with $5 matt of GSP my LFS ripped off of a plastic container for me this morning. (About 4.5" x 1.5")
Not sure what to do here so just have it rubber-banded to a frag disc on rack right now.

The rock I'd like to get it onto is really jagged and porous with not a lot of flat surface.
Any chance I could just Super Glue some parts of the matt to the rock and get it to hold?
Other suggestions?

GSP_matt1.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few days of swirling around, the tiny ricordea seems to (maybe) have settled into one spot for the last 2-3 days,,, so hoping for the best.

My NEW question has to do with $5 matt of GSP my LFS ripped off of a plastic container for me this morning. (About 4.5" x 1.5")
Not sure what to do here so just have it rubber-banded to a frag disc on rack right now.

The rock I'd like to get it onto is really jagged and porous with not a lot of flat surface.
Any chance I could just Super Glue some parts of the matt to the rock and get it to hold?
Other suggestions?

GSP_matt1.jpeg
Yep. Super glue is perfect for this. (Just don't glue it upside down like I did! Lol)

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Super glue is perfect for this. (Just don't glue it upside down like I did! Lol)
Went for Super Glue Gel last night and seems to have worked out. (I did elect to go with a flatter rock than the jagged one where I really wanted it).

A reasonable amount of the polyps were opening earlier today so I'll assume I didn't do any major damage,,, and the matt hasn't blown off so calling it good.

Washed out picture from today but you get the idea:

GSP_matt2.jpeg

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update before I pose another NEW question:
- tiny ricordea attached fine to disc -- mounted and even getting blasted seems secure (((circled in picture)))
- GSP Super Glue worked fine -- urchin peeled up about 1/4 of the matt at one point but just re-glued and now secure enough (((other circle in picture)))

ricordea_gsp.JPG

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New question for the more experienced:
What would you do with this "cramped ricordea" situation that I have going on?

They've been "cupping" for several months now and my flow situation is basically that, no matter what I do, there's a significant current going in one direction across the sand bed.

My only thought at this point is to figure out where their attachment points are and cut off that piece of rock to remount for more room for maybe 1-2 of them (((basically frag some parts of the rock))).

*best I could do at getting different angles (pictures) of what I'm talking about:

ricordea_crowded_top1.JPG

ricordea_crowded_angle2.JPG

ricordea_crowded_angle1.JPG

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will move if they aren't comfortable. I don't recommend trying to remove them.
Good point -- they wandered quite a bit about a year ago -- since then they pretty much seem to just not care enough to move anymore.
*I probably should just leave them alone so thanks for the reminder

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just since it's been 5 months, figured I'd check in to note that both the tiny ricordea I found floating around and the $5 GSP matt that I glued down are both doing well IMO and growing:

ricordea_tiny2.jpeg

*top one was the tiny one from post #1

GSP matt from post #10:

duncan_gsp3.jpeg

duncan_gsp2.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back