Ricordea not staying in place

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a nice large green Ricordea from a buddy not too long ago, but I'm having a heck of a time getting him to attach anywhere. His "foot" is latched onto a bunch of coarse sand and seems to not want to change his mind about that. Spent 2 weeks in short glass with rubble, but no luck.

As of the last 2 days it's just on the sand bed in the shade, and hasn't seemed to get blown around in that time which is good.

Every hole I stick his foot in seems to not work either...any suggestions?

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I received a nice large green Ricordea from a buddy not too long ago, but I'm having a heck of a time getting him to attach anywhere. His "foot" is latched onto a bunch of coarse sand and seems to not want to change his mind about that. Spent 2 weeks in short glass with rubble, but no luck.

As of the last 2 days it's just on the sand bed in the shade, and hasn't seemed to get blown around in that time which is good.

Every hole I stick his foot in seems to not work either...any suggestions?

Time, that's all you really have...
Leave it in the shot glass with some rubble

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If his foot is attached to some rubble/substrate, can you glue this portion to a larger piece, or location that want?

I have previously read that a good method of 'convincing' mushrooms to attach to something is to rubber band, or lightly tie them down to it.....

OP
OP
ntayler

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try the glass again. I have had bad luck with gluing shrooms before, so would like to steer clear of that route. He has been messed with so much that I don't want to hurt him

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use holey rock and we can usually tuck the 'shroom into a hole far enough to be out of the majority of the flow and it will usually settle in and stay put.
Usually...

OP
OP
ntayler

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I stick it in a hole, it eventually slides backward through the hole until it pops out wherever and blows around lol

OP
OP
ntayler

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is currently mostly disappeared in a rock at the moment, maybe I'll see it tomorrow drifting....he's been a real pita

qasim99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told you could super glue it to a rock, although that didnt work for me, it just pulled itself off. When i got mines to attach i left in on the substrate, right next to a rock.. in an area with lower flow and it attached itself to the adjacent rock.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't like SPS flow or SPS light.

If you give them either one they will try to run away.

Slower flow and medium to lower light if it's a Florida, or brighter light and moderate flow if it's a Yuma.

OP
OP
ntayler

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I last posted I stuck the foot in a hole (lower light, low flow). Since then it has traveled into the rock, disappeared, and then re-emerged from a different hole where he has remained in for the last 24 hours. The frustrating part is that it's the same dang hole i had him in originally lol.

Oh well, hopefully he stays and is happy. At least I found out that rock is quite cavernous lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back