Ricordea yuma is not a beginner coral?

weclownin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to get mushrooms for their hardiness and I fell in love with the ricordea yuma. I did some research and now I'm reading that they are extremely difficult and often die. (see Azural's sticky from 8-9 years ago) Is this true?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to get mushrooms for their hardiness and I fell in love with the ricordea yuma. I did some research and now I'm being told they are extremely difficult and often die. Is this true? (see Azural's sticky from 8-9 years ago)
They're not "extremely difficult" but you should hold off if your tank is new. They're a bit more fragile than other mushrooms, but it's not expert level. Any tank that can keep LPS happy will be ready for yumas. Ricordea florida, while duller in coloration, are easier and can be a good start.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are relatively inexpensive and a nice looking coral.... get one! I love mine.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R. yuma is not really an "expert level" coral, but they can be quite sensitive and difficult to keep long term, especially if they are maricultured and haven't been in aquaria for long. R. florida are much more hardy, no they don't look very similar (I prefer yuma myself) but they will be better for a new system.

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my personal experience that ricordea (both Yuma and Florida) are the hardiest corals I've ever cared for...milage may vary ofc.

Back