Ricordea yuma is not a beginner coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter weclownin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

weclownin

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
23
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
Alaska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to get mushrooms for their hardiness and I fell in love with the ricordea yuma. I did some research and now I'm reading that they are extremely difficult and often die. (see Azural's sticky from 8-9 years ago) Is this true?
 
I was told to get mushrooms for their hardiness and I fell in love with the ricordea yuma. I did some research and now I'm being told they are extremely difficult and often die. Is this true? (see Azural's sticky from 8-9 years ago)
They're not "extremely difficult" but you should hold off if your tank is new. They're a bit more fragile than other mushrooms, but it's not expert level. Any tank that can keep LPS happy will be ready for yumas. Ricordea florida, while duller in coloration, are easier and can be a good start.
 
They are relatively inexpensive and a nice looking coral.... get one! I love mine.
 
R. yuma is not really an "expert level" coral, but they can be quite sensitive and difficult to keep long term, especially if they are maricultured and haven't been in aquaria for long. R. florida are much more hardy, no they don't look very similar (I prefer yuma myself) but they will be better for a new system.
 
It's my personal experience that ricordea (both Yuma and Florida) are the hardiest corals I've ever cared for...milage may vary ofc.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new