Rigid or Tube overflow to sump

Catskiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mornin’ folks.
Getting ready to plumb my 125g with 1 1/2 drain lines herbie style to the sump in the stand. Is there a reason why I wouldn’t want to use vinyl tubing over sch 40? It will obviously have some rigid plumbing to carry a valve and exit the box. I know that the return will be tubing to the bulk head, but why not the drain lines too? Aesthetics? Noise?
Maint?
Educate me please.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal preference is to go rigid all the way. It looks better and does have some benefits to flow as to when you transition to tubing you downsize with the barbed fitting. Some people put a small section of tubing between the pump and the plumbing to help cut down on noise, but I have mine plumbed rigid all the way without any additional noise issues. If you do go with rigid pipe be sure to limit the fittings as each fitting creates a loss in flow.

If you go with tubing make sure to try to get black as the clear will grow algae and gunk up quicker.

OP
OP
Catskiller

Catskiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and insight.

Good point about the algae in clear tube. I did not consider that. I will probably hard pipe the return as well then. A union here and there will make it easier to break down if needed. It will also make a manifold easier in the future if desired.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back