OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, pics aren't too good. their off an iphone.

Finished putting the equipment in and organizing all of the cords (to the fullest extent :wink:)

I am happy I got this stand used, as the previous owner drilled all of the necessary holes and added a nice smoked acrylic wall in the left side of the stand for a power center.

Power Center:

PowerCenter.jpg

Sump:

Sumparea.jpg

Full System (notice the controller through the smoked glass? I "borrowed" that idea from the previous owner :smile:):

AquariumFrontwstandandcontroller.jpg

Close up of controller:

controllerthroughglass.jpg

I am now working on my RO/DI set up in the basement. Just waiting on electrician and LEDs, then I will throw in a green chromis and a bottle of Dr. Tims.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Great job organizing the wiring. That's still one area I need to improve on. LoL. Can't wait to see water in the tank and the masterpiece you're going to build. Good luck. :)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The screen top on rimless is genius...I'm stealing that one!
Awesome build. Now get some water in there! :)

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!

I finished the plumbing. I'll have to get a pic up later.

The water mixing station is now up. (I moved recently)

I am currently making something for my skimmer to stand on. I don't have the tools for a quality acrylic product, but I got some thin acrylic/plexi from home depot. I am just scoring it with a utility knife and then snapping it. Works like a charm on the thin stuff. I will then drill some holes in it and attach the pieces together using zip ties. Kinda ghetto, but I will make it look as good as possible. I'll post pics when I'm done.

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good . Nice clean job ..

Thanks. You need to get a new FTS of your illuminata up! Gotta love this tank. Well, everything besides the massive overflow box LOL. It made aquascaping a bit harder.

Here are some more pics.

I built the skimmer stand I was talking about. (See post #28)

Now I'm just going to get a rubber pot holder from target to dampen the sound.

SkimmerStand-1.jpg

SkimmerStandCloseup.jpg

SkimmerStand.jpg

Last edited:

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KoleTang, just stumbled upon your build thread, the tank is looking great!!! Why do you not have this thread up on TCMAS as well!?!

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KoleTang, just stumbled upon your build thread, the tank is looking great!!! Why do you not have this thread up on TCMAS as well!?!

Hey fellow Minnesotan. It is on there. I am just lazy in updating it. :tongue: I'll get to it though ;) --> Rimless 57g Build! - SPS Dominant - TCMAS

Looking great man! Super clean and love the rock work as well!

Thanks! :)

Looks great. Can't wait for more.

Thank you. I can't wait either LOL.

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates!

I finally got the outlet installed, so I started filling the tank on Tuesday last week. Between the brute trash can and the RO/DI unit I got it filled in about 6 hrs. I started tuning the Herbie and went to bed. I could not imagine trying to tune the herbie without the emergency drain. I would have flooded the house several times LOL.

Wednesday morning I was starting to add salt and noticed the water level on the front of the tank was about a centimeter higher than the water level in the back of the tank! :sad: I quickly drained the tank about half way. I did not want to put all the stress on the front panel and cause a leak or worse. That night I left at 7:00 PM to pick up the lights which were on backorder and just got in that night. I also had a list of things I need to hang the lights and to shim the tank. I got back at about 11:00 PM. After a lot of work it was 2:00 AM and the tank was filled back up. I added a green chromis and Dr. Tim's One and Only and went to bed at 3:00.

Friday I spent all day hanging the lights and did some Misc. things. The tank was cloudy over the weekend and turned crystal clear on sunday. Pretty sure the tank is cycled already, but I won't be adding anymore fish for at least a month because I don't have anything ready to be added from quarantine right now.

I still have a good amount of finishing touches to be made.

These are the only pics I have at the moment, but I'll get some more in time.

Figured I might as well take a pic of the back of the tank when I had it pulled out

Backoftank.jpg

Shiny new outlet

newoutlet.jpg

Really bad pic of the whole setup (iPhone would not co-operate)

fullshotnewsetup.jpg

Nice new black Sols :bigsmile:

AISOLBlue.jpg

Hanging setup

Solshangingsetup.jpg

FTS

tanknew.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very very nice! :D

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates. :)

The tank has now been up for about a month and a half. It is doing great.

Stock (As of now):

-Leopord Wrasse (Female)
- Chromis
- Various LPS and Zoas from my previous tank.

No CUC yet. Haven't had a need for one. The diatom bloom already happened and cleared up after about 9 days. Now the rocks just have some green micro algae.

I ended up going with two AI Sol Super Blues (With the new black housing :)). I am slowly adding light little by little (starting from 30%).

215_zps00e0d061.jpg

I have started dosing Kalkwasser in the ATO.

The only problem I have had is with the baffles. They had been set up so water goes: Over-Under-Over. But that was foolish as the skimmer's micro bubbles just floated carelessly through the baffles. (Because they could get over the top). I added another baffle made of acrylic and glued it in using Super Glue. I did not want to drain the sump so I took my chances and lucked out. :) I would not recommend gluing it in that way though. Now the baffles go Under-Over-Under-Over.

Also to keep the bubbles as high in the sump's water column as possible I have a cup on the outlet of the skimmer so they bounce back up to the surface and pop.

212_zps5fab729c.jpg

211_zps5a8dd02a.jpg

Here is a pic of the screen top I made.

It took HOURS to make because it had to:

- Fit in the lip of the tank (Thanks Jonty for the idea ;))
- Accommodate for the over the back return
- Have room to let to fit the power head's cords.

214_zpsddfbe912.jpg

210_zps3ca97ef4.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back