OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS. It's hard to see the corals on the bottom. I have yet to master photography. ;)

Christmas2012025_zpscc10c920.jpg

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of my Leapord Wrasse. She's a beauty! I've had her for a month and she's fat and happy eating flake food.

Christmas2012125_zpsc80f7884.jpg

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those leopard wrasses they are a stunning fish, best of luck with her.

IGROZOAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and build. I have the same tank and I only wish they didn't make the center overflow box so bulky. Otherwise very well thought out build.

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those leopard wrasses they are a stunning fish, best of luck with her.

Thank you. Yes they are an amazing fish. And it will be fun to raise it into a male. :)

Nice looking Wrasse!

beer.gif

I bet the wife loves you. Freaking awesome build!

Haha. Thank you. :)

Nice tank and build. I have the same tank and I only wish they didn't make the center overflow box so bulky. Otherwise very well thought out build.

I agree. It takes a lot of planning and work to get the aquascape to work with the overflow.

Last edited:

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone who says they havent mastered photography, you sure do a great job at capturing lol. could have fooled me. lol geat job. that wrasse is really cool looking makes me want one.thanks for posting your progress

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone who says they havent mastered photography, you sure do a great job at capturing lol. could have fooled me. lol geat job. that wrasse is really cool looking makes me want one.thanks for posting your progress

Haha. Thank you. :)

If you get one make sure it is eating flake or pellets. Unless you feed frozen a lot then frozen is OK too. I hate feeding frozen everyday so flake or pellet is a must for any fish I get. ;)

No problem.

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, what a clean and well thought out set up! Lookin good but when are new pics coming up?!

Hey man,

I haven't updated this thread as much as the one on my local forum. I'll bring some of the info over soon.

New FTS and in tank pics won't be taken for at least a month, until I get some problems sorted out.

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
05-23-2013, 02:10 am

I have been working on getting this thing back in ship shape after some SPS bleaching (from lack of food)

I have been feeding Coral Frenzy for the time being (until I make some DIY Oyster Feast) and added a tang to up the amount of proteins available to the corals.

I have been seeing some improvement in color in my LPS and Zoas. The SPS have a ways to go, but Deepwater Acro, and Pink Shortcake are showing some improvements. Thank God there are no serious issues like STN, RTN, or Pests. Just some color deficiency here folks. ;)

The kole tang had been in QT, but it was not eating. It was just pecking at the rocks looking for algae. Since there was not a speck of algae in the QT, I had to take a risk and put him in the DT. If I would have waited it would have just slowly gotten more thin and freaked out. And then I would have had to move him to the DT to save him, but with more of a risk of infection due to stress. (I read several threads on RC with people having the exact same problem and having to move to the DT) Right now he is swimming around eating off the rocks all day long. He swims over and looks at the food, but then goes back to his algae. He is scared of Nori clips so my best bet is frozen formula one.

New Livestock:

- Female (or possibly Initial Male) Solorensis Wrasse

It is currently in QT. This is the best pic I could get. (It won't stop moving ;))

- Kole Tang

- x2 Orange Chestnut Snails

Very cool snails. On is very bright and the other is more dull orange. But I have never seen such an interesting snail.

- Spiny Astrea Snail

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
06-02-2013, 06:38 pm

I've been doing some upgrading and fiddling with the equipment.

Skimmer

I ordered one of the new SRO POV-DC Skimmers from Garret (Fragtastic Reef). (Which stands for: Super Reef Octopus - Pro Open Volute - Diablo Controllable)

I really like it so far. The pump does not make a single noise besides a very quiet "chug" noise from the mixing air. It has a nice wine glass design and is very similar to the Vertex Omega. The main difference between the two is the Diablo Controllable pump and that the pump is situated to an upside down position inside of the body to save space and draw water from where all of the detritus settles. The new Diablo pump is very strong. At full speed the whole skimmer starts to move around.

The whole bottom comes off for easy cleaning as well.

I washed everything besides the pump with vinegar and hot water. Hopefully that will take care of any residue. It just needs to build up a slime coat now.

Skimmer

Controller

Pump

Collection Cup

Intake

Cord outlet

Excuse the temporary cord mess. :tongue:

The new bench jointer came in handy for trimming down my little skimmer stand

Last edited:
OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
06-02-2013, 06:55 pm

Once the skimmer is collecting skimmate I am going to start feeding more. I plan on starting with DIY Oyster Feast once a week, Coral Frenzy Once a week, AquaVitro Fuel (Amino Acids, Vitamins, and Trace elements) once a week, and LPS pellets once a week. (All different days of course)

I am going to aim for at least 3/4 cube of brine soaked in selcon, and maybe 1/2 cube of rotifers per day.

The Solorensis Wrasse goes in on Sunday.

I am going to switch out the Aquablue for a Coral+.

Combo will be:
Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+

I have been running GFO for 5 hours starting at 11:00 PM every day.

I also picked up an MP10 es since one of my Koralias failed.

[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Update:

My alk is at 8.3.

I am bringing my PO4 down with PO4x4 by Reef Interests. GFO seems to hold the PO4 in place, but I need something to bring it down.

As my new skimmer breaks in, I am upping the feeding.

I am liking the new bulb combo. I may even go bluer.

Wrasse is now in display and doing well.

It took almost two weeks to get the tang to eat anything but film algae in the display tank. He is a pig now, but he surely would have died in QT.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope everything is sorting out for you. Got any new photos?

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build, Lucas. Your mesh screen turned out great and we LOVE your Leopard wrasse.

-M&T

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everything is sorting out for you. Got any new photos?

Thanks.

I'm almost there. PO4 is almost where I want it, (PO4x4 worked VERY well) Alk is where I want it and is staying put, I am just making sure the skimmer is properly collecting before I start upping the feeding even more.

Essentially what happened is I was very busy with some other things in life. The tank got neglected a bit and I was only feeding a couple pinches of spirulina flakes once a day (with only two small fish). So, not enough food for my corals. A couple sticks bleached. They still have PE so I threw them in the back corner in lower light, hopefully they will come back over the summer.

Once I get some tester acros and see they are holding their color, I will get some pics up. :)

Great build, Lucas. Your mesh screen turned out great and we LOVE your Leopard wrasse.

-M&T

Thank you. She is starting to get fat now that she is eating brine/mysis.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank Lucas. Liking the equipment upgrades too! Will be interested to get your feedback on the new skimmer once it's really rocking.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back