Rimless tank

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hesitant to use that tank period. Rimless tanks are built that way from the beginning. Thicker glass, extra care taken with the joints, etc etc. Unless you have built the glass braces in the past I would be very careful, or get a shop vac before you fill it with water.

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated the black trim. But I don’t have money to spend on a true rimless tank. With glass all the way around the top, I think I would like the look better, especially from all the pictures I’ve seen online of tanks with that setup. If I use a thicker glass trim at the top would that not actually be safer than the cheap plastic? I was able to take the plastic trim off with must my fingers, no other tools.
The plastic trim, may seem weak and flimsy once removed, but when installed it becomes rigid and provides the proper structure to support the glass and keep It from blowing out.

Even if it wasn’t glued down properly, it will still provide the support required. Most tanks with plastic trim tops tell you not to lift them by the trim for that very reason.

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to say that the plastic is a safer trim than glass. I’m not understanding that? I didn’t like the plastic black visible around the tank. Glass is clear so that would bother me way less. But would glass not actually be safer than the plastic?
The plastic trim was designed specifically for this application. You can certainly try to mimic it with a self designed and installed euro brace, but it needs to be the right size (thickness and width) and securely fastened. I am a DIY person myself, but I wouldn’t trust this.

Again, most rimless and euro braced tanks use much thicker glass and I think there is a reason for that.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True rimless tanks do not have bracing on the bottom where most of the water weight/pressure is. A top brace carries very little outward preasure. I would and have done it with 55 gallon aquariums with no I'll affects. However.....
My tanks were from years ago. I'm pretty sure they were thicker than 1/4". Everything made today is the bare minimum, the least amount of what a manufacture can get away with.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a simple thing: Your car was designed to handle a specific amount of impact upon a crash, if you remove the doors I wouldn't want to get t-boned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back