Rimless tank

Knamei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to redo my tank and it’s plumbing. I also decided I want to make it rimless. So I did. And while I went on a search on the best way to get rid of the silicone residue, I kept reading that it’s not a good idea to do rimless. Kind of too late now.... it’s a standard 55 gallon so the glass is 1/4”. What can I do so that I don’t have any issues in the future? I’ve read about bracing, what is the best option for this size tank?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remove the black bracing around the tank?

Mandrew559

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you removed the plastic bracing do not use this tank

So I decided to redo my tank and it’s plumbing. I also decided I want to make it rimless. So I did. And while I went on a search on the best way to get rid of the silicone residue, I kept reading that it’s not a good idea to do rimless. Kind of too late now.... it’s a standard 55 gallon so the glass is 1/4”. What can I do so that I don’t have any issues in the future? I’ve read about bracing, what is the best option for this size tank?

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT USE THAT TANK!
giphy.gif

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'yeah, whatevr you do definitely don't use it. The rimless tanks you can buy they are made differently than the standard tanks.

lotekfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What others have said- not safe. Now I have removed the trim on something smaller like a 10g, but a standard 55 is very long and tall. Lots of outward pressure on the upper middle sections of the front and rear glass. I believe all standard 55g have a middle cross brace in the top trim. This is critical- it's under tension and keeps the glass from bowing out. Remove that and the top trim and...kerplow!

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the trim is still in one piece, you can just silicone it back on. If it's not in one piece, there's a company that sells the plastic braces. You could also get a piece of glass, probably 3/8" thick and like 6" wide, and silicone it across the center of the tank.

OP
OP
K

Knamei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the trim is still in one piece, you can just silicone it back on. If it's not in one piece, there's a company that sells the plastic braces. You could also get a piece of glass, probably 3/8" thick and like 6" wide, and silicone it across the center of the tank.
This is what I was asking about. The plan is not to keep it the way it is. The plan after research is to do glass bracing. So I was trying to see what the best option would be for a glass brace.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was asking about. The plan is not to keep it the way it is. The plan after research is to do glass bracing. So I was trying to see what the best option would be for a glass brace.

Gotcha. Yeah you can do the one wide brace in the center, or you can do a euro brace around the perimeter (something like 3/8" or 1/2" thick strips of glass that are 3" or so wide). Either method I'd have a glass shop cut it because they can put a nice finish on the edges and cut it square so it'll silicone in place well. Get exact measurements and make sure the shop knows you need them exact, or as close to it as possible. Use a razor to scrape off every bit of silicone where the brace will be going and use acetone to clean the mating surfaces. Use GE scs1200 silicone or I think permatex has a silicone product that's similar.
For the single center brace, I'd go as wide as is reasonable so you still have room to work in the tank, but more surface area at the joint where the brace meets the tank. Probably more like 8" or 10" rather than 6".

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are playing with a ticking time bomb. That glass thickness was not made for rimless.
You can get away with rimless if its 20g. Or maybe 40 breeder. But not 55g

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is rough. Brace the tank with 1/4 glass or put plastic back on

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to euro brace it at a minimum, but I wouldn’t even trust that. The glass is too thin, most smaller rimless tanks are at least 3/8” or 1/2” and larger ones 3/4”.

Put the trim back on or go get a proper rimless tank.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this place sells tank rims

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What difference does it make if it's braced with the plastic brace, or if he does a euro brace? I would bet that a euro brace of the appropriate thickness would be stronger than the stock plastic brace. Y'all need to keep in mind that a euro braced tank is not rimless. They aren't the same thing.

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What difference does it make if it's braced with the plastic brace, or if he does a euro brace? I would bet that a euro brace of the appropriate thickness would be stronger than the stock plastic brace. Y'all need to keep in mind that a euro braced tank is not rimless. They aren't the same thing.

I think that’s kind of the point we’re all alluding to, if you’re going to just have to euro brace it, just put the plastic back on that way you know it’s good to go and you don’t end up with 55 gallons of water on your floor and a bunch of dead fish/corals.

If you want a true rimless go buy one that’s meant to be rimless.

OP
OP
K

Knamei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s kind of the point we’re all alluding to, if you’re going to just have to euro brace it, just put the plastic back on that way you know it’s good to go and you don’t end up with 55 gallons of water on your floor and a bunch of dead fish/corals.

If you want a true rimless go buy one that’s meant to be rimless.

I hated the black trim. But I don’t have money to spend on a true rimless tank. With glass all the way around the top, I think I would like the look better, especially from all the pictures I’ve seen online of tanks with that setup. If I use a thicker glass trim at the top would that not actually be safer than the cheap plastic? I was able to take the plastic trim off with must my fingers, no other tools.

OP
OP
K

Knamei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to euro brace it at a minimum, but I wouldn’t even trust that. The glass is too thin, most smaller rimless tanks are at least 3/8” or 1/2” and larger ones 3/4”.

Put the trim back on or go get a proper rimless tank.
You seem to say that the plastic is a safer trim than glass. I’m not understanding that? I didn’t like the plastic black visible around the tank. Glass is clear so that would bother me way less. But would glass not actually be safer than the plastic?

Back