Rimmed tank and Shawdow overflow

cPr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thinking about running a 40 breeder with the 16" shadow but had a few question about it.

I've found a few setups that drilled the tank and the water line was below the rim and a few that the water level looks good. The shadow video you posted uses a 40 breeder and the template given but doesn't show the tank with water in it, if I use the given template as advised, the water line will be above the rim and not viewable when looking at the tank, correct?

The second question is regarding the amount of water being pumped through and the water line. Do those go together or will the water line be controlled using the gate valve, rather than the amount pushing through?

With it being a 40 breeder, I wont need to pump a crazy amount of water through the system and my OCD wants to make sure that what ever way i approach the setup, the water line is not viewable.

Sorry if the waterline question has been asked and answered before, I just want to double check before drilling.

Cheers
Chris

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about running a 40 breeder with the 16" shadow but had a few question about it.

I've found a few setups that drilled the tank and the water line was below the rim and a few that the water level looks good. The shadow video you posted uses a 40 breeder and the template given but doesn't show the tank with water in it, if I use the given template as advised, the water line will be above the rim and not viewable when looking at the tank, correct?

The second question is regarding the amount of water being pumped through and the water line. Do those go together or will the water line be controlled using the gate valve, rather than the amount pushing through?

With it being a 40 breeder, I wont need to pump a crazy amount of water through the system and my OCD wants to make sure that what ever way i approach the setup, the water line is not viewable.

Sorry if the waterline question has been asked and answered before, I just want to double check before drilling.

Cheers
Chris

Hey Chris,

If you use the template and drill it as advised in the video you should get a water level that is even with the plastic trim bottom when your pump is running. We have designed it to have a water level running above or even with the trim so you do not get a visible gap between the trim and water level. Every aquarium manufacturer does their trim differently so it will work with the majority of tank manufacturers. Your second question ties in with this as the more flow you have running the higher the water level will be. The gate valve does not affect the running water level in the aquarium, only the rear box water level.
We also sell acrylic spacers and extra gaskets that can be used to offset the rear box to allow you to drill the holes slightly higher if you wanted an even higher water level without having to cut or modify your tank's plastic trim. They are located on our website under replacement parts or plumbing parts.
Thanks for asking.

OP
OP
cPr

cPr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for getting back to me. Answered my questions and it looks like should have no issues with the water line.

Thanks again!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back