Ring around the brine shrimp hatchery

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this really only happens when I bleach my brine shrimp eggs to decyst them, but lately, I've been getting a ring of eggs around the hatchery where the bubbles pop. I shoot them down with the pipette, and then ~6 hours later, there they are again. It doesn't really happen when I do this with unbleached cysts, and I'd like to know how to prevent this from happening. Here's my protocol:

1) Bubble rehydrate (1/4-1 tsp) eggs for 60-90 minutes in 1 cup of water, swirling sides of hatchery every 15 minutes or so

2) Add in 1/2 cup bleach plus another 1/2 cup cold water, allow decysting process to occur

3) Rinse eggs and hatchery thoroughly

4) Add in salt + water + eggs + 2-4 drops of Prime to neutralize any remaining bleach. Let bubble for 48 hours (it's cold so the shrimp hatch later)

5) Harvest.

Oh, I'm using a 2L coke bottle if that helps

Last edited:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse the decapsulated eggs a few extra times (remaining bleach is causing bubbles?) and slow the aeration. If I remember correctly they really only stick to the sides if in cyst form so a high air flow isn’t needed to hatch. I have the same issue and it’s hit or miss lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back