Rinsing dry sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter cba191
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Completely fine to rinse with tap. Run it once through RODI and you'll be golden :)
 
I rinse with tap water until the water left is nearly clear. Then drain as much tap water as you can and rinse one for time with RODI water. After that dump the rodi water and add it. You won’t have the cloudy water if you rinse it enough.

A 5 gallon bucket that is 1/4 full of sand usually take 15 or so fill, rinse/stir heavily/dump cycles to get near clean.
 
I definitely would rinse with tap and then the final pass with rodi just to be super safe.

I would not dump it in the tank and wait for the cloudiness to go away.... it took quite a while when I did that. Never again.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new