!*!*!*! RIP MAGgie !*!*!*!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from a few days out of town and my 12 year MAG 1800 has died "RIP MAGgie"
Now I'm looking for a new pump and love the mag's but would like use another type.
The DC comes to mind of course and I had for 3 months the L2 Vectra but I'm super disappointed in the head pressure.
Good friend of me suggest the VarioS 6 for my tank.
Anyone did dragged this pump through a battle for a few months............ and if so what do you think.
Of course other game plan pumps I'm open too as well.

http://www.coralvue.com/varios-6-controllable-circulation-pump

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from a few days out of town and my 12 year MAG 1800 has died "RIP MAGgie"
Now I'm looking for a new pump and love the mag's but would like use another type.
The DC comes to mind of course and I had for 3 months the L2 Vectra but I'm super disappointed in the head pressure.
Good friend of me suggest the VarioS 6 for my tank.
Anyone did dragged this pump through a battle for a few months............ and if so what do you think.
Of course other game plan pumps I'm open too as well.

http://www.coralvue.com/varios-6-controllable-circulation-pump

I've been running a Varios-6 for a few months now, I like it. I also have a Varios-4 on my mixing station. The varios pumps are built really well and run absolutely silent. I recommend them for anyone looking for a DC pump below the level of Abyss or Royal Exclusiv.

I'm running the Varios-6 at 52% to achieve 580 gph through my overflow. You can get a good idea of my system plumbing and head pressure by looking at my 75G build thread.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the deepwater aquatics pumps. I run the BLDC8 and it is both silent and vibration free, digital controller with watts, amps, runtime hours and 0-10v input. They've got a full line based on how much pump you want :)

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the deepwater aquatics pumps. I run the BLDC8 and it is both silent and vibration free, digital controller with watts, amps, runtime hours and 0-10v input. They've got a full line based on how much pump you want :)

Your Deepwater pump came with a controller like that? Mine, bought 2 years ago, just came with power, up/down, and feed mode buttons. No digital read out, no watts or anything. I definitely agree that it's a solid pump with integrated heat sink on the controller. This is what mine looks like and is still the picture on Marine Depot...
1508216675388-2027310848.jpg

Also, the pump uses BSP threading. If you're using soft tubing you can email Deepwater Aquatics and they'll send you a screw on barb fitting, but these only go up to the BLDC-8 size.

Last edited:

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Varios-8 that I love for a return pump, but if you were happy with a mag 18, you won’t be happy with almost all of the modern DC pumps because they are not designed for the same pressure range. What is your lift height and flow requirement?

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Deepwater pump came with a controller like that? Mine, bought 2 years ago, just came with power, up/down, and feed mode buttons. No digital read out, no watts or anything. I definitely agree that it's a solid pump with integrated heat sink on the controller.

Also, the pump uses BSP threading. If you're using soft tubing you can email Deepwater Aquatics and they'll send you a screw on barb fitting, but these only go up to the BLDC-8 size.

They came out with the new controller over the summer, it is pretty neat! You can also just use some teflon paste or teflon tape on the threads. The difference between BSP and normal is rounded versus "sharp" threads, can't remember which is which just that this is the difference.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow/head do you need?? I run about 45 separate systems and all of them are running AC pumps - panworld or iwakis for larger systems and smaller tanks run on Eheim universal 1262, Fluval Sea SP series (laguna), and I still have a number of venerable Mag 12, 18, and 24s going strong which will be changed to Lagunas once they pass on.
Efficiency of time and material is of utmost importance to me and low failure rate is a must for something as critical as a return pump. I WILL NOT run anything DC because of the added 2 potential points of failure (power brick, controller). Only one I would consider is an Abyzz but if I need that much head/flow I'm using an external sealless Iwaki or Pan world.

I don't hate DC pumps in any way and I think they are unmatched for generating efficient in-tank circulation, but of course, if one of my powerheads fails its not going to crash the system quite like a non functioning main pump will.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Varios-8 that I love for a return pump, but if you were happy with a mag 18, you won’t be happy with almost all of the modern DC pumps because they are not designed for the same pressure range. What is your lift height and flow requirement?

My max pump height is 5'8" in a 1" PVC.
I had my Mag 18 dialed down for only about 900 gallons through the sump.
Tank VOL is 202 gallons.
The 900 gal return is more than enough in order to have a 100% eco balance through out the system.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank VOL is 202 gallons.
The 900 gal return is more than enough in order to have a 100% eco balance through out the system.

Ah, that makes it easy! If you want absolute silence, I really like my Varios-8, but I like AC pumps better if you can tolerate some minor noise. The Fluvals mentioned above are really nice. I have a Eheim 1262 that is a great pump, I recommend it as well.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank VOL is 202 gallons.
Fluval SP4, you won't regret it. SP6 if you want plenty of overhead and can dial it up or down. Absolutely dead silent, no difference from any silent DC pump. AC reliability, uses very little power compared to the mag 18, and you'll have the peace of mind knowing it's going to last. I have multiple examples of laguna and sp pumps running 7+ years now.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this now. Has soft start and dry run protection, and memory so a power loss won't default to 100%.

IMG_6210.JPG

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, 12 years. That's impressive!

I probably won't even get close to half of that out of my Jebao DC-2000 :D

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back