Return plumbing advice

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm currently waiting for my tank that is 60 x 24 x 25. It is drilled for 2 x 1" returns. I'm in the process of getting a sump and I have the option to get either 1-1/4" or 1" bulkheads. I read somewhere on the forums that it is better to go 1-1/4" pipes (to reduce restriction?) for the returns and then reduce to 1" on the bulkhead flow output. Oh, the return pumps will be dual Varios-8 (1 pump on each return). The stand is 36" height. I was told by someone that for a 150 gallon tank, 1-1/4" pipe is too big and I won't get enough output pressure flow. He suggested it is better to go with 1" pipes and then reduce to 3/4" output to get enough flow pressure. So I'm looking for opinions and feedbacks. Should I stick with the 1-1/4" piping and will that give me enough output pressure? Or go with 1" piping and 1" output flow? or 1" piping and 3/4" output flow? Any advice and recommendations will be appreciated. This will be my first saltwater tank and apologize for the noobie questions.

Thank you.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If this were my tank I would probably just go with a single return bulkhead and a single return pump.
On a 150 gallon tank you could do it using a single Varios 6 and have plenty of flow.
Stick with 1" pvc all the way.
You can even get 1" lock-line for inside the tank, nozzles and outlets. Don't have to do the 3/4" restriction.

Asking questions now will help eliminate some of the mistakes many of us have made in the past.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were my tank I would probably just go with a single return bulkhead and a single return pump.
On a 150 gallon tank you could do it using a single Varios 6 and have plenty of flow.
You can even get 1" lock-line for inside the tank, nozzles and outlets. Don't have to do the 3/4" restriction.

Asking questions now will help eliminate some of the mistakes many of us have made in the past.
Where do you find 1" locline? I've never seen it available before, genuinely curious

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I did decide to stick with 1-1/4" plumbing (already purchased pipes), do you think there would be an issue with getting enough flow pressure to the 1" loc-line with a Varios 8? I can always return the pipes and get the 1", but wanted to see if 1-1/4" pipes would not give me enough flow pressure.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would be a problem, the pump is designed to output at 1.25". I use a pump with 1" output, plumbed to 1" pvc, then reduced to .75" locline Y split and it provides plenty of flow, without the pump being turned up anywhere near max. also quick plug, check out Reefbreeders Nautilus pumps, they are cheaper than most alternatives, fully DC controllable and silent.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If I did decide to stick with 1-1/4" plumbing (already purchased pipes), do you think there would be an issue with getting enough flow pressure to the 1" loc-line with a Varios 8? I can always return the pipes and get the 1", but wanted to see if 1-1/4" pipes would not give me enough flow pressure.
No matter which size pvc pipe you use that VarioS-8 will give you plenty of return flow.
On a 150 gallon tank you really don't need any more than 750-900 gph return flow.
That pump is rated at 2700 at zero head. You could use a single pump and split the return and still have plenty

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back