RIP - Silicone Failure on RedSea 300XL my first "fancy" tank :(

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
They wont refund you $ ?
THEY ARE REPLACING THE TANK FOR FREEEEEEE!!!!!!! This at least gives me time to think over the tank changed when I am not in emergency mode.

AHHHH YAY THANKS REDSEA

@brandon429 I know you are tracking their response etc. I emailed them on Tuesday, they just confirmed that they will replace today with a G2.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, I would never ever ever ever ever own a free red sea tank, I'm nobody's beta test v2.

Only agreeing to report that they acknowledged it and offered to fix without cost, so far. There is no degree of money i would accept to own a red sea aquarium in my house. They're split risks

I knew of this trend in 2016, the supposed early 'bad lot'

All the splits we see now *were * the fixes to those bad lots. In 2027 I'm fully expecting to still be on this merry go round but for a new group of owners

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when enough are fed up with the repeats every 3 yrs

currently there's only enough to make internet pattern threads, but that's about it so far this year.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When will Red Sea have a class action lawsuit against them?

The answer to that question depends on the number of failures and if a legal team feels there is money to be made. Nothing is free regardless of how we the hobbyist feel. Or another answer would be when a lawyer's display fails. It is a difficult question but often tied to money.

On the other hand I wonder if the European market is seeing these failures. I seem to recall Red Sea displays being pretty popular as a all in one solution. Just like Waterbox. EMEA seems to like that clean rimless look.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I still have my 30G Oceanic that is 35 years old. Supposedly the same builders are now Planet. My 220G is a Planet.
I had wanted to get an Oceanic when I got this tank, but they were gone. People moved from there to DSA who made my 200, then they went out of business and I guess moved along to Planet. My DSA is about 10 and never a problem. Solid marine plywood stand (no mdf), PVC stand bottom liner and an awesome tank.

All the rimless tanks are nice looking, but I don't think I would buy anything large w/o top bracing or euro bracing.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Probably because these issues are a very very small percentage of their tanks

Would you even consider there Might be a problem with their tanks given the sheer amount of threads this month alone? I promise you there isn't many reefers in the world.....not by a long shot.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you even consider there Might be a problem with their tanks given the sheer amount of threads this month alone? I promise you there isn't many reefers in the world.....not by a long shot.

That is the problem with this thread. No one here as a traditional hobbyist knows this answer. @MnFish1 isn't wrong nor are they trying to brush it under the rug. They are pointing out no one knows what the percentage is that is failing. 1, 5, 100, or a 1,000 out of an installation base of X.

I think we all here are humble enough to acknowledge a single failure is bad but cut them some slack. Just because they have a difference of opinion doesn't mean they are a troll or suggesting there isn't a problem.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you have to pay attention to the question I was answering. The question was "how are they (red sea) still in business?"
My answer was my answer - because the problems are a small percentage of the tanks out there. Thats not a defense of RedSea. In fact - I'm getting out of the hobby, selling my tanks, fish, and going to raise discus. So those of you @Snoopdog who have some paranoia or ideas about what I think or am doing can rest your case. I do not support Redsea

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There he is, I knew he would eventually show up.
Knew you would eventually show up as well. I'm getting rid of my Redsea tanks. Are we good now? lol - You can take your your predjudice and realize you're wrong

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So thats a loaded question. Yes - I would consider it. But - as far as the number of reefers in the world - you're incorrect. "There are an estimated 700,000 saltwater home aquariums in the United States". So go find someone else to attack

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
watching this thread go down hill fast …

Bottom line those who want to buy Red Sea even though time after time someone is posting about their seams busting on them, then do what you want with your money and livestock. But do consider those number of reefers that don’t have reef2reef membership out there and are experiencing these unfortunate occurrences with red seas seams we aren’t accounting for. That is mind blowing to think about …

Is the OP happy? That’s what we want at the end of the day from her thread . Glad her situation was fixed (temporarily)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back