RIP tux urchin =(?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've grown quite attached to my tux urchin. Bought him 4 years ago probably the size of a quarter that's now about 2 - 3 inches across. Lately I noticed that his spins have become short and has moved slowly. Today I flipped him over and noticed that he's lost a few of his teeth and isn't looking good. I started putting nori under him but its not looking like he's eating.

Is he on his way out from old age? (not sure how old he is when I got him, I'm guessing he's about 5 now) Should I just leave him alone to go "peacefully"?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, it seems these guys typically live 2-5 years in aquaria, so I'd assume yours is just on his way out like you said. If someone has information otherwise, hopefully they'll chime in.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've grown quite attached to my tux urchin. Bought him 4 years ago probably the size of a quarter that's now about 2 - 3 inches across. Lately I noticed that his spins have become short and has moved slowly. Today I flipped him over and noticed that he's lost a few of his teeth and isn't looking good. I started putting nori under him but its not looking like he's eating.

Is he on his way out from old age? (not sure how old he is when I got him, I'm guessing he's about 5 now) Should I just leave him alone to go "peacefully"?
Hey, sorry that the time is (or has already) coming. Always the worst part. People outside the hobby don't understand.

"It's just a fish, how can you be attached to it"

Hope you're feeling better

OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, sorry that the time is (or has already) coming. Always the worst part. People outside the hobby don't understand.

"It's just a fish, how can you be attached to it"

Hope you're feeling better
Thanks, yeah he's gone. Just an empty shell now that I'm leaving in the tank. Its a very pretty and smooth shell.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah he's gone. Just an empty shell now that I'm leaving in the tank. Its a very pretty and smooth shell.
Sorry to hear that. My urchin was pretty much the reason for my getting into the hobby. You should perch it's shell at the highest point in the tank.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that sucks. Im pretty attached to mine and I’ve only had it for 9 months. I can’t imagine how it makes you feel after 4 years.
At least he had his live a full life, I hope mine does too. Just fought off a dino outbreak so there's very low food in the tank. Urchins, although void of the personal touch, are full of personality. I don't understand it lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back