RIPTIDE AQUACULTURE Giveaways, Promos and Website updates. Get the best deals on R2R first!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blasto!!!!
935D6463-5B34-41A2-B6B2-A8B43BA841A7.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna try to lower my nitrates by removing my brightwell media block. Doing a water change. And feeding a little less frozen food.
I plan on testing again two weeks after I remove the media block.
Hoping Neil Patrick Harris GIF
So I tested my nitrates tonight with my Hanna checker that I mostly trust. I have an issue with nitrates but it's the opposite of yours. The ironic thing is that my sump is full of detritus since I don't use any socks or filter pads. At one point in time my refugium had several inches of mulm in the bottom.
20220223_214450.jpg

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested my nitrates tonight with my Hanna checker that I mostly trust. I have an issue with nitrates but it's the opposite of yours. The ironic thing is that my sump is full of detritus since I don't use any socks or filter pads. At one point in time my refugium had several inches of mulm in the bottom.
20220223_214450.jpg
I use the Hanna checker for Nitrate and Phosphate too. I check every Sunday. I feel that they are accurate enough and at least I can have consistency.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
20220223_214450.jpg
I have the same problem. My nitrates and phosphates are almost always bottomed out.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use the Hanna checker for Nitrate and Phosphate too. I check every Sunday. I feel that they are accurate enough and at least I can have consistency.
I work for a municipal water system. We use Hanna and Hach for most of our field checks - pH, nitrate, fluoride, chlorine. Hanna is pretty trustworthy in my opinion.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna ULR Phosphate, plus I have the Hanna alk, copper, and salinity checkers.

I check nitrate and phosphate several times a week because I have to make sure that my nitrate doesn't go too low and my phosphate doesn't go too high. Nitrate is usually around 5 and phosphate is around .1. I recently increased the length my refugium light is on trying to reduce phosphate so I've been checking my nitrate regularly and I dose a little when needed.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. My nitrates and phosphates are almost always bottomed out.
If they're both low I'd just try feeding more. My issue is my Phosphates are higher than I'd like so I don't want to feed more. I've already mostly stopped using reef roids because of the Phosphate increase. I guess after reading the thread you made I may switch to benepets. I'd love to find a food that I know mostly adds to nitrates and very little to phosphates.

ETA- also be careful because dinos suck.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If they're both low I'd just try feeding more. My issue is my Phosphates are higher than I'd like so I don't want to feed more. I've already mostly stopped using reef roids because of the Phosphate increase. I guess after reading the thread you made I may switch to benepets. I'd love to find a food that I know mostly adds to nitrates and very little to phosphates.
There were some good responses on there. I'm looking forward to getting the Benepets next Tuesday.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were some good responses on there. I'm looking forward to getting the Benepets next Tuesday.
I think I'm going to buy some and try it.....or I may just wait to see how it works for you. I don't feed my corals as often as I would like because reef roids do raise phosphates quite a bit.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think I'm going to buy some and try it.....or I may just wait to see how it works for you. I don't feed my corals as often as I would like because reef roids do raise phosphates quite a bit.
Like I said, I noticed an increase in algae growth after starting to feed Reef Roids.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's my Friday! I'm going to go up north tomorrow evening and find out what the rest of the country experiences from time to time - highs in the upper 30s, lows in the teens. My wife is soooo looking forward to it.
Oh No Omg GIF by Mike Shinoda

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 60 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back