Rising ORP

grr410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for the forum…
Over the last several hours I have noticed my ORP is rising in my tank, is this an issue I need to be concerned with. My thoughts are as follows regarding the cause. It is currently around 298 but this morning was 279. This is a new tank about 7 weeks old, currently only stocked with 2 clownfish and some corals.

1. two days ago I added more Zoa frags, had 3 frags added 3 more.
2. On the same day I added 2 hammer corals, one head each (small frags), and one mushroom.
***all corals are doing very well based on observation
3. I did do some tank maintenance causing me to turn off and turn on the equipment, I was finishing the my control board and had to move some wires around
4. I did accidentally leave the basement window open the other evening overnight, tank is located in a finished basement.

Everything I read says ORP between 200-500 is fine but I was just curious about the quick rise.

Thanks in advance.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP is never too high (regardless of a measurement) in a reef tank not adding strong oxidizers such as ozone or permanganate.

Your ORP values are fine and may actually be rising, or it may be algae growth on the probe.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed my ORP rise from the 200’s to the 400’s in the first couple months after setting up my tank.. Almost seemed like an indicator that the tank was maturing, probably no correlation though.

OP
OP
grr410

grr410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed my ORP rise from the 200’s to the 400’s in the first couple months after setting up my tank.. Almost seemed like an indicator that the tank was maturing, probably no correlation though.
I appreciate it. Tank maturing and maybe I am maturing

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back