Risk of Not Completely Fallow

gabriellar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 15, 2025
Messages
183
Reaction score
88
Location
illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As stated in the title, I want to understand better of the risk of tank being not completely fallow and the odds of ich/flukes coming back regarding the parasite living cycle. And my core question is, is it safe to add new fish in to a tank like this?

I previously got a new fish on April 23rd, realized it has ich, moved from quarantine tank A (has corals) to quarantine tank B (meds tank) for treatment. Since then, no new fish has been added to quarantine tank A besides a clown fish that was originally there the whole time. Up till now (38 days since it potentially exposed to ich), clown fish shows no sign of ich or flukes.

Is it safe to put a baby multibar angle to quarantine tank A? The other option is directly put baby multibar to a isolation box in display tank. My display tank is majorily corals and all the fish in there are hardy (clown fish, cardinal and goby), so if things happen, I may be able to catch all the fish out for treatment. I'm not considering puting fish in quarantine tank B at the moment since it is not fully cycled and heard multibar can be sensitive to water quality.
 
Fish that has/had ich going in/out with clown seems risky.
New fish into display also risky although might be lesser of two evils if you trust the source and don't QT all new fish anyway.
*I'm reading the above as mentioning 3 fish total but maybe I misunderstood that
 
As stated in the title, I want to understand better of the risk of tank being not completely fallow and the odds of ich/flukes coming back regarding the parasite living cycle. And my core question is, is it safe to add new fish in to a tank like this?

I previously got a new fish on April 23rd, realized it has ich, moved from quarantine tank A (has corals) to quarantine tank B (meds tank) for treatment. Since then, no new fish has been added to quarantine tank A besides a clown fish that was originally there the whole time. Up till now (38 days since it potentially exposed to ich), clown fish shows no sign of ich or flukes.

Is it safe to put a baby multibar angle to quarantine tank A? The other option is directly put baby multibar to a isolation box in display tank. My display tank is majorily corals and all the fish in there are hardy (clown fish, cardinal and goby), so if things happen, I may be able to catch all the fish out for treatment. I'm not considering puting fish in quarantine tank B at the moment since it is not fully cycled and heard multibar can be sensitive to water quality.
The risk is reoccurrence of disease if parasite have not completely did off without a host fish. They would then resume reproduction. Assuming tank B is medicated, you can add new fish to Tank B and I would hold off on any more acquisition of fish until full treatment regimen is reached
 
If the current clown fish in quarantine A tank remain healthy by the end of 76 days period, does the tank consider as effectively ich free? Or as long as there is a fish, regardless of the fish is affected by parasite or not, free swimmers will exist?
 
If the current clown fish in quarantine A tank remain healthy by the end of 76 days period, does the tank consider as effectively ich free? Or as long as there is a fish, regardless of the fish is affected by parasite or not, free swimmers will exist?
In better terms of healthy, disease free but fallow tank must be free of fish or you may never have this fish free of parasites but if fish is free of disease during the 6-8 weeks, 45-60 days (No Longer 72 days which is an old rule), should be safe to introduce into display tank.
 
CONFUCIUS SAY: "You can't be a 'little bit pregnant', and you shouldn't go 'a little bit fallow'." 🤣
 
If the current clown fish in quarantine A tank remain healthy by the end of 76 days period, does the tank consider as effectively ich free? Or as long as there is a fish, regardless of the fish is affected by parasite or not, free swimmers will exist?
In better terms of healthy, disease free but fallow tank must be free of fish or you may never have this fish free of parasites but if fish is free of disease during the 6-8 weeks, 45-60 days (No Longer 72 days which is an old rule), should be safe to introduce into display tank.
Just to clarify does this mean if my display which hasn’t shown any sign of disease in the 6 months it’s been running I can say it’s disease free? Equivalent to a full fallow period?
 
Just to clarify does this mean if my display which hasn’t shown any sign of disease in the 6 months it’s been running I can say it’s disease free? Equivalent to a full fallow period?
Safe to say, yes
 
Just to clarify does this mean if my display which hasn’t shown any sign of disease in the 6 months it’s been running I can say it’s disease free? Equivalent to a full fallow period?
Safe to say, yes
I was convinced this wasn’t the case as I’ve often heard comments along the line: “if you don’t quarantine then it’s an ich management system and you’ll never get rid of ich (I’d assume any disease) without a fallow period”.

Is this me misunderstanding or one of those comments that we keep hearing and is inaccurate?
 
As stated in the title, I want to understand better of the risk of tank being not completely fallow and the odds of ich/flukes coming back regarding the parasite living cycle. And my core question is, is it safe to add new fish in to a tank like this?

I previously got a new fish on April 23rd, realized it has ich, moved from quarantine tank A (has corals) to quarantine tank B (meds tank) for treatment. Since then, no new fish has been added to quarantine tank A besides a clown fish that was originally there the whole time. Up till now (38 days since it potentially exposed to ich), clown fish shows no sign of ich or flukes.

Is it safe to put a baby multibar angle to quarantine tank A? The other option is directly put baby multibar to a isolation box in display tank. My display tank is majorily corals and all the fish in there are hardy (clown fish, cardinal and goby), so if things happen, I may be able to catch all the fish out for treatment. I'm not considering puting fish in quarantine tank B at the moment since it is not fully cycled and heard multibar can be sensitive to water quality.
There is no answer to this question - at least not on a percentage basis. What exactly are you asking? It seems like you are being impatient - and I would follow the normal fallow period. Your question is vague - Can I recapitulate what you said. You had a new fish - and you were doing observation quarantine - without medication. You should per multiple biosecurity protocols not add a fish to another tank with fish in various stages of QT - since I don't completely understand your exact setup - I would say no.
 
I was convinced this wasn’t the case as I’ve often heard comments along the line: “if you don’t quarantine then it’s an ich management system and you’ll never get rid of ich (I’d assume any disease) without a fallow period”.

Is this me misunderstanding or one of those comments that we keep hearing and is inaccurate?
The issue is with ich management, its often a shortcut and wastes valuable time for treatment which quarantining is prevention. Disease is on us, not the fish and now medicating is warranted and you have wasted 2 + weeks of preventative steps in which now you have to treat for 3o days
 
There is no answer to this question - at least not on a percentage basis. What exactly are you asking? It seems like you are being impatient - and I would follow the normal fallow period. Your question is vague - Can I recapitulate what you said. You had a new fish - and you were doing observation quarantine - without medication. You should per multiple biosecurity protocols not add a fish to another tank with fish in various stages of QT - since I don't completely understand your exact setup - I would say no.
Yeah, I understand that none of the options I was asking about are ideal, and I agree that the safest approach is to wait through the normal fallow period.

For context, I had a fish arrive DOA in late March, and the seller asked me to wait two months before they could send a replacement, which brings us to about now. Because of that delay, that puts my fish in different quarantine cycles. During those two months, a lot changed, and the tank I had originally prepared for this fish is no longer in the best condition to hold it.

I don’t mean to rush the process. I just need to better understand the relative risk of the options I have now, given that the replacement fish hasn’t arrived yet but is expected soon, on a timeline I couldn’t fully control.
 
If the current clown fish in quarantine A tank remain healthy by the end of 76 days period, does the tank consider as effectively ich free? Or as long as there is a fish, regardless of the fish is affected by parasite or not, free swimmers will exist?

Some diseases - especially flukes, but sometimes ich can survive on fish for many months as subacute infections, where the fish look perfectly fine. However, a stress event can trigger the infection to suddenly become acute. The rains fairly small after 45 days, but it is still there.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new