RKElite or Apex - Thoughts...

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since I decided to upgrade I figured I would ask here as to peoples thoughts on which one seems to be a little better as well as visually and intuitively better.
My wife won't even look at the ACIII since it is more DOS looking as far as programming is concerned. In other words - too much work to figure out the buttons! lol - she works with nuclear missles, I guess it needs to be as simple as possible at the house!

I am looking to mount it on the outside of my tank to give the tank a more "modern" look to it. I'll build a smooth looking case for it and all...

In the long run I want it to be online on my website and all that, controlleable from anywhere via a secure connection. I'm going to add a streaming webcam and all that fun stuff down the road too.....in the winter when I am bored :)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going for the RKE but when i saw the Apex I changed my mind. They do the same thing but to get similar packages, your looking at the Apex being at least $100 cheaper. Also I like the fact that you can use Neptunes scripts for programming or just use the menu driven sytem. At one point I was looking at the RKE vs the ACII Pro, but the RKE was $200 cheaper for the same package. That was the reason I was looking at the RKE initially but then the Apex came along. I have a few months before I pull the trigger so I will wait and see what the initial reaction of the first Apex users is.

Last edited:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same boat here...

I'll be following allow as I'm torn between the two...

I'm not a "techy" person by any means... so I want simple and easy to run. I'm needing few, simple things out of my controller:

1. Temp. monitoring and control
2. A.T.O. sensor (although I might just use a Tunze Osmolater)
3. Internet monitoring (and potentially control via internet)
4. "Standby" modes to shut down pumps/skimmer during feeding

It appears that the APEX would be about $100 less, as Paul mentioned, and I don't belive the RKE has the NET capability yet, but thats moot as I won't be buying for a couple months...

I know a few people who already own (and love) their RKEs, and I know a couple who are anxiously awaiting delivery of their APEX's... so I'll be waiting for more reviews and hands-on "previews" too ;)

FWIW, I owned a Profilux Plus II and sold it as I have NOTHING good to say about it... :choler:

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help.

I'm easy. I'm just going to go with the APEX and be happy with it....cheaper is king. Nowadays both controllers are pretty much neck and neck.
I have been happy with my other neptune controllers, so no reason to switch and pay more to do so....

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own an RKE with NET on my 120, and an RKL on my 3g pico at work, and I will be buying another RKL for my prop system. the NET is out, and allows you to get RSS feeds from your RKE. it doesn't allow you to control your RKE through its interface YET, but DA is planning to address that. I love my RKE, and RKL. it took 15 minutes to setup and configure them, and their custom service is amazing.

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with the RSS feeds, you can setup a sig that polls the RSS feeds and generates a signature.

like this
rc_Ldogg_sig.png

ignore my PH, I need to re-calibrate the probe.

and their's an iPhone app out that lets you see the RSS feeds as well.

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that now with an ACIII

with the RSS feeds, you can setup a sig that polls the RSS feeds and generates a signature.

like this
rc_Ldogg_sig.png

ignore my PH, I need to re-calibrate the probe.

and their's an iPhone app out that lets you see the RSS feeds as well.

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, you can. don't you need to buy their software, and connect it to a pc for those functions? will the apex have a built in web server that eliminates the need for a pc?

imcosmokramer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Apex is said to have an embedded web server: (from the neptune sys site)
Connectivity

• Ethernet Interface
  • Embedded Web Server
  • Only controller with web browser Monitoring, Control & Configuration.
  • Email Alarms
It looks like an awesome choice, but I might want others to go through the growing pains. I have a RK2 and it was really easy to setup/use.

lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple question...

This is probably a rookie question, but I am now upgrading to a larger system (340G DT) and will add both a controller and a calcium reactor.
I have already pre-ordered the Apex package, which should be shipped within the next 6 weeks. I am also looking at the GEO 624 reactor.
My question: If I already have a controller, like the Apex, do I need a separate controller for the CA reactor? Or, will the Apex perform all the functions that a dedicated Pinpoint or Milwaukee controller does?
Thanks.
LL

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question: If I already have a controller, like the Apex, do I need a separate controller for the CA reactor? Or, will the Apex perform all the functions that a dedicated Pinpoint or Milwaukee controller does?
I assume you're reffering to the ability to control pH swings? If so, yes, you can utilize pH probes to acitvate/de-activate different things based on your settings.

lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

I assume you're reffering to the ability to control pH swings? If so, yes, you can utilize pH probes to acitvate/de-activate different things based on your settings.

Yes I am referring to the function of those bare-bones dedicated controllers that are sold as packages with most CA reactors. My understanding is that the reactor just needs to have CO2 injection controlled by turning a solenoid on or off...
It seemed to me that a full featured controller like the Apex, RKE or ACIII can handle that task while also monitoring and controlling the PH on the tank, etc., etc.
It would just require the proper PH probe and programming the controller. Correct?
Thanks.

LL

Last edited:

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently placed an order for the RKE. DA is having their 40th anniversary on the RKE. Worth considering since they pretty much went through a couple of revisions.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am referring to the function of those bare-bones dedicated controllers that are sold as packages with most CA reactors. My understanding is that the reactor just needs to have CO2 injection controlled by turning a solenoid on or off...
It seemed to me that a full featured controller like the Apex, RKE or ACIII can handle that task while also monitoring and controlling the PH on the tank, etc., etc.
It would just require the proper PH probe and programming the controller. Correct?
Thanks.

LL

You can have two PH probes. One will operate as a controller for the Ca reactor and the CO2 and the other can then just monitor the tank PH.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back