RL6723's Red Sea 250

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the day we get this tank wet!!!! So far so good, no leaks and everything is staying level. I also buttoned up the equipment cabinet, so its ready for when I swap the apex over. Im hoping to have salt in it by tomorrow morning

20200620_125637.jpg 20200620_125631.jpg
@RL6723 the right side rock structure looks good with caves but the left side doesn’t look stable. Did you use rods to keep it in place?

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RL6723 the right side rock structure looks good with caves but the left side doesn’t look stable. Did you use rods to keep it in place?
@powers2001 yes both structures were drilled and acrylic rods were put in. I also used E Marco 400 which is an awesome product. It is actually very stable, as the bottom rock is a foundation rock from Marcos rock which is cut flat on the bottom side. I was going to build caves on both sides, but I didnt want to make the scape too symmetrical. I have always struggled with scaping as I dont have an artistic bone in my body!!

Last edited:

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of cabinet it that for your controllers? I have a 250 as well and right now just have my trident sitting in that spot but want to get something like what you have.

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of cabinet it that for your controllers? I have a 250 as well and right now just have my trident sitting in that spot but want to get something like what you have.
I actually just built it out of materials from Home Depot. I have a trident as well, and I wanted a place to put it as well as hide some of my cabling. I basically bought some white 12" shelf material and cut it down to make the sides, door, and shelves. From there I assembled it using L brackets, simple cabinet hinges, a magnetic latch and some furniture grommets. I found everything at HD and it was pretty easy to make. I didnt want to drill into my red sea stand, so its free standing, but you can mount the L brackets to your stand if your open to drilling yours

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 yes both structures were drilled and acrylic rods were put in. I also used E Marco 400 which is an awesome product. It is actually very stable, as the bottom rock is a foundation rock from Marcos rock which is cut flat on the bottom side. I was going to build caves on both sides, but I didnt want to make the scape too symmetrical. I have always struggled with scaping as I dont have an artistic bone in my body!!
@RL6723 I know what you mean by artistic bones, I haven’t got any either!!!! I just ordered a 1/2” dia. acrylic rod 6 feet long. That should be more than enough. I have a little table saw I can cut it to desired length. How does that E Marco 400 work? Is it a powder you mix up with water? Do you just glob it on and let it dry out of water? How thick is the stuff? What’s it made of?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef man 89 I bought this IKEA cabinet and will screw it into the side of my Reefer 250 using cabinet shelving brackets. See my build thread.

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RL6723 I know what you mean by artistic bones, I haven’t got any either!!!! I just ordered a 1/2” dia. acrylic rod 6 feet long. That should be more than enough. I have a little table saw I can cut it to desired length. How does that E Marco 400 work? Is it a powder you mix up with water? Do you just glob it on and let it dry out of water? How thick is the stuff? What’s it made of?
@powers2001 yup I used some 1/2 rods from Tap plastics that I had bought a few years ago. The E Marco 400 is a powder and a liquid acrylic polymer. You mix it together and adjust it until you get a mortar like consistency. It reminded a lot of stucco patch mix. Once fully cured this stuff is as hard as the rock itself. I personally dont think the rods were even necessary but just like everything else I do its overkill. Ive used all sorts of epoxies for my scapes before, like water weld, Tunze coral gum, Seachem Coralcrete, but nothing has came close to the strength of this stuff. Overall im super impressed. Its also ICP tested so you know its good to go for our tanks

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI was finally able to make up enough water, so the tank is filled and salt mixed in. I will be adding some Matrix media that has been sitting in my other tank to seed the bacteria population of this tank

20200622_064041.jpg 20200622_064057.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following along! I literally ordered some screw hole covers after reading about yours. Great idea!
@RaymondsWorlddd I got the same idea from @RL6723 . I’m putting them over the top of the cam lock holes on my IKEA cabinet then I’ll paint over the top of the sticker covers.
9A5E8A65-F561-4F41-82D3-365A9E776563.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 @RaymondsWorlddd
NICE!!!! Im glad I could contribute something to everyone!!
@RL6723 what are you using too keep the stickers on? Just the adhesive that comes on them? I don’t think I can trust that. Trying to think of something that I could put on them that’s stronger. Any ideas?

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RL6723 what are you using too keep the stickers on? Just the adhesive that comes on them? I don’t think I can trust that. Trying to think of something that I could put on them that’s stronger. Any ideas?
I used the adhesive that came on them, they seemed to be pretty strong, you can always go with regular gel super glue, especially if you dont anticipate having to break down the stand in the future

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is probably going to be uneventful as I let the tank cycle, but I will be updating once I get my ATO reservoir in from Advanced Acrylics. I will also be removing my Apex system from my other tank and will be mounting and installing on this tank. I will probably wait until my trident runs out of reagents and just start fresh on the 250. Overall im pretty happy with the way the build has turned out, its definitely one of my best set ups in terms of forethought and equipment used. I cant wait to fill it with sticks and watch it grow.

20200622_184605.jpg

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if anyone has some suggestions for fish stocking Id love to hear it. Id like to go as utilitarian as possible, but I know that is tough on these smaller tanks. So far im thinking:
Pair of clowns
Flame Hawk
Sixline Wrasse
Royal Gramma

What is everybodys thoughts on this plan? Too many or do you think the tank could support more bioload? Everything would be added slow of course

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if anyone has some suggestions for fish stocking Id love to hear it. Id like to go as utilitarian as possible, but I know that is tough on these smaller tanks. So far im thinking:
Pair of clowns
Flame Hawk
Sixline Wrasse
Royal Gramma

What is everybodys thoughts on this plan? Too many or do you think the tank could support more bioload? Everything would be added slow of course
@RL6723 a note on the pair of clowns. If you plan on getting a BTA, don’t get a pair of Ocellaris. You want a pair of Perculas or Maroons for a BTA because BTAs won’t host Ocellaris. I would also consider a dwarf angel with that list of fish.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of clowns
Flame Hawk
Sixline Wrasse
Royal Gramma

This is my stock for my 250:

2 clowns.
2 yellowtail damsels.
2 firefish.
2 YWG
2 yellowline cleaners
1 small yellow tang.

I know Tang police is going to arrest me but if BRS can keep a Tang on a RSR 170 I can on my 250....

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much new to add, ive just been letting the tank do its thing. Ive been ghost feeding here and there in order to feed the bacteria population. I checked parameters today and came up with:

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 4

I believe that its able to process ammonia due to the seeded media I brought over from my other tank. Ive had it sitting in a media bag for a year or so, so im sure there is a healthy population on it. I also added some Bio Spira to diversify the bacteria a bit. Im going to give the tank awhile to really populate and stabilize a bit

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back