OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also ordered my Clearview lid today from @ArtFully Acrylic really looking forward to it as these lids look awesome and well made.

Screenshot_20200629-111259_Outlook.jpg

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RL6723 a note on the pair of clowns. If you plan on getting a BTA, don’t get a pair of Ocellaris. You want a pair of Perculas or Maroons for a BTA because BTAs won’t host Ocellaris. I would also consider a dwarf angel with that list of fish.
@powers2001 i completely forgot about the dwarf angels, i love flame angels and coral beautys. I may have to add one. I dont think i will be getting any anemones, so i dont have to be selective on the clowns. I had a maroon once and that was by far one of my most aggressive fish

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my stock for my 250:

2 clowns.
2 yellowtail damsels.
2 firefish.
2 YWG
2 yellowline cleaners
1 small yellow tang.

I know Tang police is going to arrest me but if BRS can keep a Tang on a RSR 170 I can on my 250....
@Difrano thank you!! That is a nice list, you must have plenty of fish movement in your tank, which is what im going for. Im thinking I may have room to add a few more smaller sized fish. Does your tank handle the bio load well? How often and how much water are you changing out? Just want to get an idea if I can pick a few more fish out

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Difrano thank you!! That is a nice list, you must have plenty of fish movement in your tank, which is what im going for. Im thinking I may have room to add a few more smaller sized fish. Does your tank handle the bio load well? How often and how much water are you changing out? Just want to get an idea if I can pick a few more fish out

There is a lot of fish but they are all small. The biggest guy is the Tang. The tank handles the bioload too well, I am battling low nutrients for a couple of weeks and I started to feed like a beast let's see if i can avoid the dreaded Dinos.... I also turned the skimmer off during the day. I am not doing water changes at the moment, my NO3 are 0 and my PO4 around 0.1 or 0 based on the day. I am dosing Alk based on Trident measurements. Coraline is growing like weed.
I love the livestock,
The yellow Tang is amazing he swim all over the place, the clowns and the damsels surprisingly are living in harmony, mostly due that I did two complete separate rock structures on purpose to keep them, the left is home ofthe damsels the right is home of the clowns, also there is a lot of caves and hiding spots. And the bottom is controlled by my gobies and the pistol. I am in love with the cleaners they roam all the tank getting inside rock crevices.

So far tank is doing ok, but I am scared about the low nutrients, I was using API and cannot believe that I was reading 0 NO3 for weeks so bought a Nyos and same result. My previous tank had a really bad crash due to Dino I don't want to go thru it again.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of fish but they are all small. The biggest guy is the Tang. The tank handles the bioload too well, I am battling low nutrients for a couple of weeks and I started to feed like a beast let's see if i can avoid the dreaded Dinos.... I also turned the skimmer off during the day. I am not doing water changes at the moment, my NO3 are 0 and my PO4 around 0.1 or 0 based on the day. I am dosing Alk based on Trident measurements. Coraline is growing like weed.
I love the livestock,
The yellow Tang is amazing he swim all over the place, the clowns and the damsels surprisingly are living in harmony, mostly due that I did two complete separate rock structures on purpose to keep them, the left is home ofthe damsels the right is home of the clowns, also there is a lot of caves and hiding spots. And the bottom is controlled by my gobies and the pistol. I am in love with the cleaners they roam all the tank getting inside rock crevices.

So far tank is doing ok, but I am scared about the low nutrients, I was using API and cannot believe that I was reading 0 NO3 for weeks so bought a Nyos and same result. My previous tank had a really bad crash due to Dino I don't want to go thru it again.
@Difrano sounds like your fish are down right cozy in there. Home sweet home!!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, awesome job on the scape. Good call on the Advanced Acrylics ATO, they do great work. I got a super narrow one for beside my tank and couldn’t be happier with it, not to mention they’re relatively inexpensive.

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, awesome job on the scape. Good call on the Advanced Acrylics ATO, they do great work. I got a super narrow one for beside my tank and couldn’t be happier with it, not to mention they’re relatively inexpensive.
Thank you!! Yea thats the ato im getting, its 5" wide so it will fit perfectly right next to the stand. White as well so it should match pretty good

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I got my Apex swapped over to the new tank which was a chore as I had to set up another ato on the old tank as well as a stand alone heater controller. Here is is in the equipment cabinet, all I have left is to mount my break out box and WXM, and route the cabling for those. Definitely was a tight squeeze and I will probably work on cleaning up the bottom section cabling, but with the EB8 down there it doesnt leave much options.

20200705_114322.jpg

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex modules mounted, just need to organize and find a way to store the extra wire going to the Eb8. Overall the only plans I have for the space in the bottom is for the waste container for the trident so im ok if it doesnt turn out super clean. As you can see in the second picture everything is hidden away when the cabinet is closed.
20200705_121609.jpg
20200705_121619.jpg

Next up on the to do list is to plumb the Dos in. Alsl I have some ammonium chloride coming today so I will be dosing that and making sure the tank can clear 2ppm in under 24 hrs. If it can, Im thinking I may add fish in the next 2 weeks or so if

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, are going bare bottom?
Yup, im going to go full sps (with the exception of chalices because i love them) so it easier to not have to worry about sand blowing around. Also with 2 mp40s this tank will have a ton of flow. The second reason, for me at least, is that my sand tanks start having nitrate and phosphate issues after about year 2. I think its mostly due to me not maintaining the sand as well as I should though. I honestly love the look of clean white sand in a tank, but once I went bare bottom about 5 years ago i was able to keep nutrients in check way better.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex modules mounted, just need to organize and find a way to store the extra wire going to the Eb8. Overall the only plans I have for the space in the bottom is for the waste container for the trident so im ok if it doesnt turn out super clean. As you can see in the second picture everything is hidden away when the cabinet is closed.
20200705_121609.jpg
20200705_121619.jpg

Next up on the to do list is to plumb the Dos in. Alsl I have some ammonium chloride coming today so I will be dosing that and making sure the tank can clear 2ppm in under 24 hrs. If it can, Im thinking I may add fish in the next 2 weeks or so if
@RL6723 so you have a cabinet within a cabinet? Is it a kit or DIY? Do you have a magnetic door switch on anything connected to your BoB? What are your plans for the BoB?

Mitch

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RL6723 so you have a cabinet within a cabinet? Is it a kit or DIY? Do you have a magnetic door switch on anything connected to your BoB? What are your plans for the BoB?

Mitch
Yup exactly, i really didnt want to drill into the stand, so i built a free standing cabinet, pretty basic, just a shelf and a door. The Breakout has 2 float switches, one for ATO level and the second for a high switch for the sump, just as some redundancy for the ATO. Once my permanent ATO reservoir gets here, I will be adding a float switch to it to alert me when I need to fill it back up. Another plan I have is to add one to my skimmer lid to alert me when its time to empty it. No magnetic door switch, because the light I have is a rechargable led which has a motion sensor. It works really good and i am very happy with it. Heres a pic of it along with how bright it lights the sump up
20200705_131326.jpg
20200705_131332.jpg

OP
OP
R

RL6723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mitch
I forgot to add that the cabinet was a diy thing, i tried to find a premade cabinet that would fit but I had no luck. So I ended up buying some Rubbermaid white laminate shelving material, some angle brackets, simple cabinet hinges, and a magnetic latch. Then i was able to make it to the exact dimensions I needed. I put it together and used a holesaw to put some 2" holes for cabling

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup exactly, i really didnt want to drill into the stand, so i built a free standing cabinet, pretty basic, just a shelf and a door. The Breakout has 2 float switches, one for ATO level and the second for a high switch for the sump, just as some redundancy for the ATO. Once my permanent ATO reservoir gets here, I will be adding a float switch to it to alert me when I need to fill it back up. Another plan I have is to add one to my skimmer lid to alert me when its time to empty it. No magnetic door switch, because the light I have is a rechargable led which has a motion sensor. It works really good and i am very happy with it. Heres a pic of it along with how bright it lights the sump up
20200705_131326.jpg
20200705_131332.jpg
@RL6723 nice!! I was originally going to go with rechargeable, motion sensing cabinet lights but I wanted redundancy. In both cabinets I have AC powered lights switched by a magnetic door switch wired to a BOB. I also have a manual switched cabinet light in both cabinets powered by rechargeable AAA batteries for redundancy in case the power goes out. I like your cabinet within a cabinet. I have a cove in my 250 cabinet for electronics and I might put a door on it to protect the electronics from salt spray and splashing.

Mitch

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RL6723 nice!! I was originally going to go with rechargeable, motion sensing cabinet lights but I wanted redundancy. In both cabinets I have AC powered lights switched by a magnetic door switch wired to a BOB. I also have a manual switched cabinet light in both cabinets powered by rechargeable AAA batteries for redundancy in case the power goes out. I like your cabinet within a cabinet. I have a cove in my 250 cabinet for electronics and I might put a door on it to protect the electronics from salt spray and splashing.

Mitch

I have the same configuration, added a mag switch to the door wired to the BOB that turn on the inside lights and also added a virtual output that send a notification when the cabinet is open, so I know if someone is messing with my sump when I am not at home (did this in case my kids friends are interested in get their hands there).The difference is that my backup light is a flashlight :)

Back