RO Canister Working Properly

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my ignorance, but are the canisters on an RO system (sediment, carbon, DI), supposed to fill up entirely, or is it normal for there to be only an inch or two of water in the bottom while in use?

Also, is it possible to use an old DI canister with 1/4” fittings as a reactor?

Thanks!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine all fill when in use.
They fill from the top until full, then, fills the next, and so on till it exits through waste or into RODI container.

Water must move completely through the various media’s to be effective.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine all fill when in use.
They fill from the top until full, then, fills the next, and so on till it exits through waste or into RODI container.

Water must move completely through the various media’s to be effective.
Hmmm...

I’m using a dual DI canister setup, and water seems to be moving through all the media (I’m getting 0 TDS), but they aren’t filling all the way. Weird.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They fill all the way as the unit shuts down.
They start emptying to a degree when it is running.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can slightly loosen the canister while it is running and watch the water level rise. Once it gets to the top quickly tighten it down. I've noticed that when I do this that once it turns off water will drain and the water level will fall too.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can slightly loosen the canister while it is running and watch the water level rise. Once it gets to the top quickly tighten it down. I've noticed that when I do this that once it turns off water will drain and the water level will fall too.
Hmm, then what’s the point of doing it?

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DI stage might not fill up on it's own initially. If not just loosen it while in use until it fills then quickly tighten it (it was air locked). The other canisters should be filled when in use or if you always leave the water to it on (I never do but if you have auto shut off you technically can). They can back flow partially when the water pressure is turned off. Doesn't make any difference performance wise for ANY of the canisters. Water can only leave the canisters thru the center which requires passing thru the filter wether it's full of not. The water level WILL rise eventually one way or the other as the part actually filtering starts to clog.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DI stage might not fill up on it's own initially. If not just loosen it while in use until it fills then quickly tighten it (it was air locked). The other canisters should be filled when in use or if you always leave the water to it on (I never do but if you have auto shut off you technically can). They can back flow partially when the water pressure is turned off. Doesn't make any difference performance wise for ANY of the canisters. Water can only leave the canisters thru the center which requires passing thru the filter wether it's full of not. The water level WILL rise eventually one way or the other as the part actually filtering starts to clog.
Thanks a lot. What I’m not understanding is, is bleeding them like that necessary, or should I just not worry about it?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI canisters come in several configurations.
If you post a pic, maybe we can further define.
Otherwise 0 is 0.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI canisters come in several configurations.
If you post a pic, maybe we can further define.
Otherwise 0 is 0.
These are the exact canisters:

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. What I’m not understanding is, is bleeding them like that necessary, or should I just not worry about it?

I only bleed because it looks better full lol but it's not necessary. My media reactor does the same thing (not fill up unless I bleed it).

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to worry about it. Someone else in the thread mentioned why. Thing about how the canister works.

Water comes in from the top and flows down the outside of the outside of the DI cartridge. It’s not even in contact with the DI resin at this point, it’s just flowing in. It flows back up through the DI cartridge.

For the water to out of the top of the cartridge it has to fill the canister and pass through media.

If you were to take the DI cartridge out and run the system with no DI cartridge the canister will fill completely. It has no choice, the water has to get back to the top to get out.

So, the shorter version is; it doesn’t matter if the “outer” canister is full, the DI cartridge will be. It has to be or you won’t have water flowing out of the system.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to worry about it. Someone else in the thread mentioned why. Thing about how the canister works.

Water comes in from the top and flows down the outside of the outside of the DI cartridge. It’s not even in contact with the DI resin at this point, it’s just flowing in. It flows back up through the DI cartridge.

For the water to out of the top of the cartridge it has to fill the canister and pass through media.

If you were to take the DI cartridge out and run the system with no DI cartridge the canister will fill completely. It has no choice, the water has to get back to the top to get out.

So, the shorter version is; it doesn’t matter if the “outer” canister is full, the DI cartridge will be. It has to be or you won’t have water flowing out of the system.
Thanks so much for the explanation. Makes total sense. For the record, I did bleed them just for aesthetics, but it’s good to know it makes no difference. 0 TDS either way.

Love having this dual canister now. I don’t have to worry about gauging the end of the resin. I can just wait until canister 2 shows some consumption and rotate it and put a fresh one on.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back