RO/DI and Boil Advisory

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure where to put this. We had no water pressure yesterday afternoon which was resolved fairly quickly and I began making ro/di water. Later that evening we went under a boil advisory and they think it is related to the loss of water pressure. I’m unsure if I should toss the 30 gallons of water and make more once the advisory is over or if there is no need to take action. Also unsure if I need to clean the brute trashcans if dumping the water is the direction taken. What would you do? IMO water is cheap, but also don’t want to waste it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unsure where to put this. We had no water pressure yesterday afternoon which was resolved fairly quickly and I began making ro/di water. Later that evening we went under a boil advisory and they think it is related to the loss of water pressure. I’m unsure if I should toss the 30 gallons of water and make more once the advisory is over or if there is no need to take action. Also unsure if I need to clean the brute trashcans if dumping the water is the direction taken. What would you do? IMO water is cheap, but also don’t want to waste it.
I do not think this would/should be a problem. Per se. There are plenty of bacteria in your tank (i.e. it's not sterile) - and there is a big difference between drinking water standards, and the standards that would be used for a fish tank. I do not think you need to sterilize the Brute cans. RO itself removes many bacteria and viruses. If it was just DI - that may be a (slightly) larger problem. If you really want to get a clear answer - I would call your water plant and ask. Here is a comment from the CDC:

"

Reverse Osmosis Systems​

• Reverse Osmosis Systems use a process that reverses the flow of water in a natural process of osmosis so that water passes from a more concentrated solution to a more dilute solution through a semi-permeable membrane. Pre- and post-filters are often incorporated along with the reverse osmosis membrane itself.
  • A reverse osmosis filter has a pore size of approximately 0.0001 micron.
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing protozoa (for example, Cryptosporidium, Giardia);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing bacteria (for example, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing viruses (for example, Enteric, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Rotavirus);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems will remove common chemical contaminants (metal ions, aqueous salts), including sodium, chloride, copper, chromium, and lead; may reduce arsenic, fluoride, radium, sulfate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, and phosphorous."

Here is an article that explains some of the issues during a boiling alert: https://www.houstonmethodist.org/bl...nd-cant-do-while-under-a-boil-water-advisory/

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water plant is useless. The people answering calls didn’t even know there was an issue until they saw it on facebook lol. I appreciate the information and perspective. Thank you for confirming my findings and thought process.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread to ask some follow ups- I’m in a boil water predicament and am wondering post the boil mandate if I should replace the membranes and/or the carbon, sediment blocks? Question is for both drinking RO system and RODI tank system.

Liz Pienkoski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think this would/should be a problem. Per se. There are plenty of bacteria in your tank (i.e. it's not sterile) - and there is a big difference between drinking water standards, and the standards that would be used for a fish tank. I do not think you need to sterilize the Brute cans. RO itself removes many bacteria and viruses. If it was just DI - that may be a (slightly) larger problem. If you really want to get a clear answer - I would call your water plant and ask. Here is a comment from the CDC:

"

Reverse Osmosis Systems​

• Reverse Osmosis Systems use a process that reverses the flow of water in a natural process of osmosis so that water passes from a more concentrated solution to a more dilute solution through a semi-permeable membrane. Pre- and post-filters are often incorporated along with the reverse osmosis membrane itself.
  • A reverse osmosis filter has a pore size of approximately 0.0001 micron.
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing protozoa (for example, Cryptosporidium, Giardia);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing bacteria (for example, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing viruses (for example, Enteric, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Rotavirus);
  • Reverse Osmosis Systems will remove common chemical contaminants (metal ions, aqueous salts), including sodium, chloride, copper, chromium, and lead; may reduce arsenic, fluoride, radium, sulfate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, and phosphorous."

Here is an article that explains some of the issues during a boiling alert: https://www.houstonmethodist.org/bl...nd-cant-do-while-under-a-boil-water-advisory/
Found this thread since the rural area I’m moving to has recurring boil advisories while staggered water line repairs occur. It looks like my 6 Stage RODI may be sufficient to filter water for my mixed reef during these periods?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back