RO/DI and CO2 Questions

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 stage that I have been using for around 7 years.(replacing filters as needed) Previously I was on city water and almost never needed to replace the filters. Now we live on a well; the house has its own RO system for drinking water and a kinetico softener with sediment filter. I am running my RO/DI from the laundry tub which bypasses the house RO system. I seem to be burning DI resin much faster than before. Based on what I've found on here I have CO2 problem and need to gas exchange my water.

My question is should I just remove the resin filter from the RO and add another sediment or carbon filter and add standalone DI or run 2 DI resin filters? I think I could just connect the membrane after the carbon filter and bypass the DI section all together too. Then use a pump in my brute to move the RO through the DI to another brute bin? The RO/DI is a old coralife 4 stage never really thought of it as much more than plastic to hold filters though. Using aqua FX filters currently.

My current brute bin has a 1000gph pump running in a loop of PVC that goes up and either back to bin or to a ball valve with a down pipe to fill my buckets.

Sorry for the wall of text having to gas exchange my water is something that I had never even knew would be a issue.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a Cation-Anion-Mixed Bed setup. Your degassing chamber will not remove all of your CO2 and the Anion resin will be used up quicker and then you just have to maintain that.

If your current sediment and carbon filter are working I would just stay with that.

OP
OP
Grimmj

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a good pump to push through the DI canisters if I am going use the setup above?
Looking at something like a Sicce 1.0 but I am not sure that it can provide the proper PSI for a triple DI setup. Uncharted territory for me. We have around 50-60 psi from our well so I have been just opening the tap and letting it do its thing. I was reading that I would need around 60 PSI for RO/DI systems but not sure if that is related to just the membrane or the individual filters and the membrane.

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a good pump to push through the DI canisters if I am going use the setup above?
Looking at something like a Sicce 1.0 but I am not sure that it can provide the proper PSI for a triple DI setup. Uncharted territory for me. We have around 50-60 psi from our well so I have been just opening the tap and letting it do its thing. I was reading that I would need around 60 PSI for RO/DI systems but not sure if that is related to just the membrane or the individual filters and the membrane.

I am using a Tunze Osmolator pump. In my attempt to try to get gravity flow to work i purchased a new dual resin system thinking maybe there was something wrong with mine but I still got the random air lock that would make my degassing chamber overflow. Since i had the extra system I put cation-anion in before my Spectrapure maxcap system. So far I have made about 500 gallons of water and the cation looks to be about 2/3 used now.

I also had an Aquatec pump selected but it was kind of pricey but I will still probably go with that in the future when I clean up the system.

IMG_2863.JPG

OP
OP
Grimmj

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup; that answers my question too as it sounds like it doesnt take much power to push though the DI canisters. My plan is to let it sit with the pump and air stone in my brute can for 24 hours then pump through DI into another storage bin and integrate a float switch to turn off the pump when the water level drops in the first bin.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is is still a cobbled system I never progressed from "prototype" to final design. I still do not run it in full auto i need to add a float to my RODI tank to also shut off the pump when the tank is full.

I did add a check valve to the input of the DI to stop any back siphon.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Grimmj0b,​

I had the same problem with CO2 depleting mixed resin. Purchased a second Brute container and now I bypass my 2 resin cartridges and run the ro water to brute #1. I aerated with two airstones, along with a 400 gph pump overnight and then run this ro water through the DI resin to Brute# 2 pushing it with the lil 400gph pump. What a difference: 35 gal of RODI and i only noticed about one inch of resin spent in the first of two resin cartridges!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back